1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD FX 8150 or Intel Core i7-980X

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by magicol, Jun 1, 2013.

1. magicol

magicol Newbie

Yes, im asking because i need one of those to build my gamer PC
    Please tell me which is better

2. staticbravery

staticbravery Level I

Pretty similar but the AMD FX is way more popular.

3. magicol

magicol Newbie

60% of people said me "AMD is better" but the 40% who said me "Intel is better" looks trusty xD

4. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

The Intel 980X will perform slightly better than the FX-8150, but to be honest, those are not the chips that I would choose for a gaming build.

First of all, the 980X too expensive for the performance in general, and I would go for the new Ivy Bridge processors (or wait for the Haswells).
    Ivy Bridge offers better performance for less of a price. Haswell will also be a more 'stable' version of the Ivy Bridge iteration from Intel and will also feature the 22nm lithography. Haswell will fix the overclock 'heat' problems associated with Ivy Bridge, while greatly improving performance.

If you are looking for an awesome value chip, I would suggest the AMD FX-8350. I actually regret not getting this one - the value is amazing and it is one of the top-performing chips out there.

Secondly, I want to say this to most gaming PC builders out there: the CPU is not nearly as big of a deal as the GPU. A lot of people make the mistake of buying an expensive processor on the gaming build when it really doesn't make a difference. An i5 processor vs. an i7 processor with the same GPUs will barely differ in the FPS because modern games are designed to defer almost all the graphics load to the GPU.

But all in all, I think you should really consider the AMD FX-8350. If I were you, that'd be the CPU I'd get.