1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best program for pixel art?

Discussion in 'Graphics and Art' started by Aemira, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Aemira

Aemira Level III

I'm recently getting back into pixel art and I was wondering what your guys' opinions are on the best program for it? Back in the day, I used to use Paintshop Pro 7, but it's kind of outdated now... however Photoshop (I've tried Cs3, Cs4, and Cs5) is awful for pixel art. Pixen is okay but doesn't have a lot of the tools I want for it. Graphicsgale... is unavailable for Macs, but I haven't used it in a long time so maybe it's what I'm looking for. MS paint well too basic, plus I use a mac. I might go back to Photoshop on my bootcamp part of my mac, but it's a real pain rebooting my computer just to do some tiny sprites. :p

Any thoughts?

2. Dragonlily

Dragonlily Newbie

Hmm, that's awesome :) I think I might look into pixel art eventually.. not sure how to get started though, so I'll have to lurk some threads and learn! good luck pixeling!! :)

3. Aemira

Aemira Level III

It's pretty fun and not too hard to do. I might make a guide on it eventually but I'm not the best at it. Most people start out by editing old game sprites. I started by editing Chrono Trigger sprites, but Sonic and Pokemon sprites are pretty popular for editing too. And for girls Sailor Moon sprites. :p

4. Galifanakis

Galifanakis Level I

Any program is fine for Pixel Art. You don't need any effects. You just need to be able to make one pixel. One pixel at a time. Thus, any program is perfect for pixel art. I used paint for these:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And I know a great number of (much more accomplished than me) pixel artists also use Paint. Paint is all you need for pixel art. :)

5. Aemira

Aemira Level III

Photoshop isn't fine for pixel art. :p In the newer versions it lacks the ability to do a non-anti-aliased pixel.

6. Galifanakis

Galifanakis Level I

Really? I didn't know that. More reasons for me not to like photoshop. x) I use Paint and PSP8 for all my art/graphics, so I'd recommend either of those.

7. RESPRiT

RESPRiT Level I

I'm pretty sure Photoshop is fine for pixel art. Also, why not use paint?

8. Goaneopy

Goaneopy Newbie

Gimp, Paint.net, are good.

More good even for me it's just photoshop.

Good luck!

9. Code

Code Level II

I don't do pixel arts so I have no idea, but I've seen people using paint and can make awesome pixels, they are so purdy *-*

good luck though! If you are experienced enough it shouldn't matter what programs you're using for pixels :)

10. raar78

raar78 Newbie

I agree that Paint and PSP8 are the good programs for art/graphics, so I'd recommend either of those.

11. Lully

Lully Level I

I'm not really skilled at pixel art, but my friend, who taught me a little about it, uses Paint and he does some amazing stuff there... He says that's the best program for this...

12. Kaden

Kaden Level I

13. hendrypoter

hendrypoter Newbie

There are many different graphic software packages available which you can download online. The big daddy of all art software is Photoshop. Is photoshop good for pixel art.

14. number460

number460 Level I

well, for pixel art the program doesn't really matter that much, since you are making it 1 pixel at a time.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I used to do a lot of pixel art and I absolutely loved PSP7, but you're right it is a bit outdated. Paint is always a good standby though and Gimp works well too.

16. barbarajoyy

barbarajoyy Newbie

Well, I love paint, its a simple and nice program to use, and you can make gorgeous drawings!

17. sngrey

sngrey Newbie

Personally, I enjoy Photoshop CS programs.

18. tayloi

tayloi Newbie

I use Paint.Net for my pixel art.

19. Platypus

Platypus Level I

I use Paint for pixel art. It's not a compact software, so I think its just perfect for something like pixel art.