1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should kids be exposed at a young age to electronics/compute

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by superperson, Oct 23, 2007.

1. superperson

superperson Level II

I mean, you see the new commercials with the electronic devices to help babies learn to talk and walk, ect. ect. And then after that, you see tons of gameboys, the Wii, PSPs being advertised and so on, and pretty soon everyone wants one. And then you've got the computer. I mean, the computer is ADDICTING.

So do you think kids should be exposed to these kind of things at a young age?

Personally, I don't think so because remember back in the day, you didn't need electronics/ect. to help you learn how to talk or walk, or stuff like that. And gameboys, the Wii, PSPs, computers, they are addicting, they keep kids from doing homework and studying, and going outside. So exposing them at a young age could even lead to eye problems or other things that like.

What's your opinion?

2. derrick599

derrick599 Level I

give them those things but moniter them and threaten to take away tv or thier wii if thier not doing thier hw or playing too long.

3. bonestructure

bonestructure Level I

i actually quite agree with you.
    i recently heard (i'm not 100% sure if its true) but supposivly all the kids now are going to die at a younger age because of watching too much tv, video games, computer etc.
    not sure if its true, but could someone clarify this?

4. superperson

superperson Level II

Oh so basically limit them and maybe it will teach them a lesson. What if they end up learning how to get around it?

5. superperson

superperson Level II

Oh really? I haven't heard. But I know it can lead to eye problems and also extreme addiction and at a young age it could last for a long time.

6. derrick599

derrick599 Level I

thats not true and they will feel isolated because thier friends have these things but they cant but its not thier fault...its lik holding candy up to a babys face and telling them they cant have it!

7. bonestructure

bonestructure Level I

derrick, you could be wrong, it can cause eye problems, going out of shape from not getting exercise.
    if your not all that healthy when your older it can cause health problems.

8. superperson

superperson Level II

well everyone has myspace except me and that's where they're all up to date, and i still fit in. i mean not everyone can have a computer or electronic device. i think it's more than just making sure they fit in but making sure they don't have future problems.

9. superperson

superperson Level II

yes i agree with you. ^^;; my brother once had eye problems from too much gameboy, ect.

10. derrick599

derrick599 Level I

yeah let them watch tv and everything but not 5hours of it besides there are more dangers outside lik pervs. and when you let them roam they WILL get into stuff.

11. bonestructure

bonestructure Level I

yeah, it can get pretty bad. im morely getting my homework done before going on the computer or doing anything else so i dont procrastinate.
    i dont want my age to have a huge chunk of it gone because of addiction.

12. superperson

superperson Level II

I'm not saying "letting them roam" but like they might get so addicted at a young age to things like computer, electronics that they might not want to do sports at all. So put them into outdoor activities that are safe .. not where bad people are. o__o like soccer teams, baseball, swimming, dance, ect. ect.

13. superperson

superperson Level II

oh yeah, always doing your hmwk first is good ^^;;

14. derrick599

derrick599 Level I

thats always what they say...before its too ate. :|

15. superperson

superperson Level II

yeah so what age do you think kids should be exposed?

personally, i don't know any specific age but it sorta depends whether you're a girl or a boy. boys like electronics (well my brother does) and girls .. well i got bored of my gameboy and Wii and i enjoy the computer more.

16. derrick599

derrick599 Level I

i would say about 9 because thats when they will understand.

17. superperson

superperson Level II

i was exposed to a computer around 11.
    i think 9 is too young though ... i think right when they're becoming a teen. and then limit them on electronics/computer to make sure they use their time wisely.

18. bonestructure

bonestructure Level I

woah... 9 is WAY too young.. maybe 11, 12, 13.

kids these days that young do understand, but a lot of them are still aging and could effect them.
    i've watched videos on youtube of a 6 year old kid who is like a master at GH2... and i frankly thought it was sad.
    why not take your kid outside play ball? instead of him being addicted to GH2.

19. derrick599

derrick599 Level I

by the time that happens every 10year old will have a cell phone!

20. superperson

superperson Level II

yes you're right. i think kids should always be exposed to outdoor activities and sports and things that are enjoyable before games. :)