Big brother

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mash, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mash

mash Level II

did anyone hear bout emily getting kicked off big brother uk for racist comments. good on channel 4 i say! but its all to save face though

thoughts and comments?

2. glowworm

glowworm Level II

isn't it supposed to be a reality show? The reality is that some people are racists and racist comments are going to be said whether they let it on tv or not. W.A.R. doesn't seem to be hurting for members :p

3. quark778

quark778 Level II

Well if the aim in Big Brother is to please the audience so they don't get kicked out then being a racist is counter-productive to those aims. Since most people hate racists. Yea in reality there are gonna be racists but luckily those people aren't popular. 8)

4. andiegirl

andiegirl Newbie

I bet she would get voted off anyway. Plus, isn't it illegal to say racist comments in the UK too?

5. SoC

SoC Moderator
    Staff Member

It's total crap. Rubbish show.

Whats wrong with saying nigga? If black people can run around and call each other it, sing it in songs and use it to slag other people off why cant white people? What word can whites use that blacks cant? White people are the ones actually get racially abused as there not allowed to say a word.

Stupid. Noway should she of been kicked off, she insulted black people by saying a word they probably call themselves every day. What about the contestants who also insult fat people? ugly people? they get kciked off for insulting them?

stupid show, made worse and only ever going downhill. Please say its the last series.

6. Smelly

Smelly Level IV

I agree with SoC.

Political correctness is so hypocritical. White people get called "Whities" all the time. "Nigger" has become so overrated as a word. Pfff.

But, I do love BB. Trashy TV shows are great!

7. mash

mash Level II

haha i love it! i did feel really sorry for her cuz u could defo see that it was a genuine mistake and for that reason i thought that big bro were a bit harsh. at the same time though, with the race row that happened on celeb bb then i think it was well within their rights

8. quark778

quark778 Level II

White people weren't enslaved or treated like sub human ever in their history. When a white person says racist things it hurts more because you know they mean it. Because historically when white people have used the N word or whatever it was followed by beatings, torture, etc. When was the last time a white person was enslaved by another race and subjected to this type of humiliation?

You can't just say "It was 200 years ago, Blacks are given the same opportunities now so they should get over it". The only reason that Whites in America have so much is because they stole from the blacks (and other races) and used them as slaves while they made all the money so it's still unfair. Only way to be truly fair is to collect all the resources, etc and redistribute it evenly but that will never happen so Whites should be more sensitive to the feelings of others.

9. NoPoint

NoPoint Level III

I think a lot of whites were probably insulted in the same when when the Nazis were around! Concentration campes anyone?

Everyone gets hurt from racist comments. Doesn't matter what colour you are.

10. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

-_-

She shouldn't of been kicked out for saying it. Charley said it as well but because she is black she wasn't kicked out. And the only reason Emily was kicked out is because the viewing public could take offense so if Emily went Charley should of. Emily didn't say it maliciously and channel 4 were just trying to regain some brownie points after the Shilpa Shetty incident. Fact of the matter is if it's a bad word black people shouldn't use it either. It's ridiculous that one race can say a word and another can't it just adds to segregation.

And there isn't just a race divide other religions (such as the Jews) have had a damn hard time in history but saying a religious offensive word isn't as bad as a racist against black word. And sexuality people use offensive word to gay people all the time and no one bats an eyelid. If we embrace political correctness it's ridiculous to leave out people. And a word is just that a word how can a 6 letter word hold so much stigma?

11. mash

mash Level II

very well said fendi! i think it was really stupid and i felt really sorry for her...i heard that people complained to ofcom because of the way bb treated emily...lol ur damned if ya do and ur damned if u dont springs to mind!

12. imhappytodayo0

imhappytodayo0 Level III

I don't watch bb Uk.but is this the same show that had some uk girls hurting an indian girl? o.0

13. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

^^

That was the "celebrity" version. Shilpa Shetty a Bollywood actress was in the house and there were loads of racist remarks aimed at her by one group of losers in the house. It got like 40,000 complaints and channel 4 did nothing about it, no one was removed from the house. They even hid other remarks
    when ofcom was checking it out. So BB kicked Emily out for saying a "racist" remark even though it wasn't used in a racist way to try and cover themselves from that fiasco. Problem is no one will speak out about how ridiculous it was to remove her in the media for fear they will be labeled racist so Emily is now the scape goat.

14. DavethXCore

DavethXCore Level I

I agree Fendi, had this happened before the fiasco of racism in the celebrity version I believe the person involved would have been given a warning but never kicked out, after the whole affair with Shilpa in the celebrity version Endemol have to be REALLY careful with how they portray themselves in regards to racism. This may be a bit harsh but necessary so that Endemol don't get any more criticism.

All in all given the circumstances; it was the right decision, but still a wrong decision in its own right.

15. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

^^

I just don't get it though channel 4 have always been the TV station for minorities and now they are being so careful. BB could of just not aired the comment and given Emily a warning instead they used her as a scape goat to up their public image. They stopped the live streaming and they wouldn't of got in any trouble for not showing the footage if they took appropriate action.

16. imhappytodayo0

imhappytodayo0 Level III

aah.I didn't know the whole story about Shilpa..I live Brasil, but some bra newspapers wrote about it months ago.

I agree with you fendi ^-^

17. noncheatercheater

The Imus incident probably had some sort of influence on it.

People use the argument "black people use it all the time" and well, it's a valid argument IF there wasn't a one letter difference. It may seem stupid for the non-black but if you say "nigger" even if you're black, it's not cool, but if a black person were to say "nigga" then it's all good. The one letter difference is what makes it okay for them to say it.

Stupid, I know.

It's all hypocritical, none the less.

18. osok69

osok69 Level II

What show are you guys talking about?

19. DavethXCore

DavethXCore Level I

It's in the title, Big Brother. Basically a reality TV show where channel 4/endemol pick about 15 weirdos and stick them in an enclosed space with no contact to the outside world.

Hilarity ensues!

20. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

?

How the hell do you tell the difference between nigga and nigger when spoken? There should just be no unspoken words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.