Big Idea, Some Flaws...Help?

Discussion in 'Neofriends Help and Suggestions' started by Lightning, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

So I was thinking about making an index of guides here on NF. I can certainly do that, but there are a few problems.

1. There is about +3-4 guides every day.
    2. It needs to be maintained...

What I'm going to do is put all the guides in alphabetical order. Link them. Put the author, and link them. Then finally post. Now, I just wanted the mods to see if they are able to do anything about the stuff up there ^, and maybe you guys have some suggestions.

Anyways, I had some suggestions for the problems, too.

1. Maybe whenever a member makes a guide, they can either be allowed to go into the post to edit it themselves. (Two problems: they might ruin the alphabetical order, they might not link the stuff right, or they might ruin the whole index)

2. When a member makes a guide, they can either tell a mod or guide makers to edit. (Too many guides?)

3. Update it every ?...(Problem: Pain in the butt because I have to redo the whole thing.)

PS: If I do decide to do this, I might need some non-lazy peoplez...

2. Jubixion

Jubixion Level II

I'll suggest not putting an index for EVERY single guide out there. Some of the guides are really useless(no offense) and are repetitive of other better ones out there. I'd say, though it would be a pain in the ass, to scan the entire section which you would like an index to be made and take down only the links of those useful and in-depth guides. Truthfully, not many guides are done everyday. Example, in the neopets section, its actually pretty dead. No one replies on the guides and hardly any guides are posted daily.

If I read correctly, I think you were asking if it were possible to make a post where every member of the forum can edit and add in their own guides? I wouldn't really encourage that since they could always add in some other link that doesnt link to a guide. Besides, once you've scan through the entire section once and taken down all the good guides, all you have to do is just check the first few threads everyday to see if any new ones are added. Gets pretty easy after all the scanning has been done :D

You do know you can edit a post right ._. Unless I interpreted that sentence wrongly :/

3. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Umm, I know I can edit a post. I made a guide on it, but I don't know what's new and what's already in my list because mine is in alphabetical order.

4. WingedOne

WingedOne Level II

If guides can be categorized under a general subject or topic in the link list that would help organize a lot, I don't think it necessarily has to be in alphabetical order (maybe have the topic/subject be in alpha order) Outdated guides that no longer apply should be updated or not included in the link list.

If you do it like that it shouldn't be hard to update, because you wouldn't need to worry about alphabetizing as much since you have general topics as the categorizer.