Biologie Help

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SonicBoom, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Level I

were learning this new square things for gentics......if a mother has brown eyes whic r dominatt and the father has blue eyes which r resessive. use a punnet square to determine what color eyes there offspring will have.

2. Karuken

Karuken Level I

I remember how to do Punnet squares, so if you need help with specific problem then I can help you out. Or at least explain what you need help with, because your post isn't even asking a question XD...

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Level I

yes, my post has a question

mother has brown eyes which is dominent, father has blue eyes which is resessive. if they are planning on havin childern what colour eys could they have?

4. Karuken

Karuken Level I

This is assuming the mother has heterozygous dominance, meaning she has one recessive and one dominant gene

[​IMG]

Mother
    (Left)-Brown (B) Dominant

Father (Top)-Blue (b) Recessive

The children have a 50/50 chance of having blue eyes
    Same for brown.

P.S.- Sorry, I missed the question in your first post...

Edit: I uploaded a picture I made real quick in paint. I hope I helped you out.

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Level I

i can see it good when i post a reply it shows me previews in bottom, but mother is homozygous brown, so then what?

6. ali913xx

ali913xx Level III

Remember that your finding the probability of inheriting traits, not sure fire answers. Just remember to make a grid (like a tic tac toe game) and put the genotypes of each parent along the left column and top row. From there it's very simple, you just copy down the letters (case sensitive) in the column and row that aligns with it, and you have each possible outcome!

It doesn't involve any calculating, just copying.

If you would like I have a few websites saved over from Biology that explain matters such as punnet squares. Here is one that explains the basic: http://anthro.palomar.edu/mendel/mendel_2.htm .

7. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Level I

so if the mother has homozyogus brown eyes all children will have brown right?

8. Karuken

Karuken Level I

Yeah, just replace the bottom "b" with a "B" and you'll find that all the probability is 100% Bb , the children will 100% have Heterozygous Dominant Brown Eyes.

^_^

9. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Level I

and what about those double hyrbid thingys

i have aquestion

if a mother with homozygous dominatn brown eyes and heterzygous brown hair marries a man with homozygous recessive blue eyes and homozygous dominatnt blakc hair, what could their children loook like?

10. lynnkay

lynnkay Level I

hi

im in biology 12 and was wondering about genes aswell x.x

11. ali913xx

ali913xx Level III

Their children will all Have Brown Eyes and Black Hair.

As far as the black hair goes, it was 50% Homozygous & 50% Heterozygous, so the children have a possibility of passing on a recessive brown hair trait even if they show black hair themselves.

you can come to this solution by assembling two separate punnet squares and finding the probability of each trait and then combining them.

12. lynnkay

lynnkay Level I

hi

mother has brown eyes which is dominent, father has blue eyes which is resessive. if they are planning on havin childern what colour eys could they have?

Are oyu in biology 12 or science 10?i remember learning this lol

13. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Level I

biology 11

14. Karuken

Karuken Level I

If you need anymore help just let me know specifically, otherwise I'm going to assume that your questions have been answered.

*high-five*

15. americanpierg

americanpierg Level III

Remember though...every gene is contributed independently.

16. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Level I

what r u talkin about can u explain in more detail?

17. Karuken

Karuken Level I

Ignore what he said or you're just going to be confused. You don't need to know that at all to do Punnet Sqaures!

Edit- I didn't mean for that to sound rude. The whole "distributed independently" thing isn't really necessary though.

18. lynnkay

lynnkay Level I

I hope that helps you x.x

19. americanpierg

americanpierg Level III

it totally matters. I dont know which bio he is in, but if its an ap course or a elementary college course, his next chapter/section will begin to focus on multiple alleles, ie AaBb x AaBb, in which each variable, A,a,B,b will seperate independently. Punnet squares are actually the most elementary form of genetics you can get, you should get it down now as its going to be murder later, and you dont want to be stuck becuase of something like Punnet squares. Its bascially just drawing the 4 squares that was posted earlier, lining up the alleles, and bringing each one down and across.

20. Karuken

Karuken Level I

He doesn't need to know that to do Punnet squares though, and I don't think they'd be teaching Punnet Squares in an AP Bio Class, heh heh.

Anyways, he was confused by what you said so I was suggesting for him to ignore that until he can at least do the basics.

Maybe I'll put some cliche corny phrase here like : Don't take off the training wheels until he's ready to ride.

>.< Sorry if I offended you ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.