Can murderers change? And is suicide murder?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Marble, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marble

Marble Level I

Okay, I'm launching in at the deep end here. Two questions to argue: Can murderers change, and is suicide murder?

I reckon murders can change, especially child murderers. I mean, take Mary Bell, who lived somewhere... well, vaguely near me (okay, not really near, but in the same country xD). I'm pretty sure she's not dangerous now. And she was abused terribly as a child... though a lot of people are abused and they don't become murderers.

I think suicide is murder, but obviously it's non-punishable. I do, however, think that it's a horrible thing to do if anyone cares about you. In my opinion, it's the worst kind of death that you can have to suffer from someone near you. But I understand the depression and everything. =/

2. boomm

boomm Level IV

Nah. I dont think murderers can chnge...If I knew one I'd never go near that person.lol :lol: And suicide is murder. Although its really sad murdering yourself.

3. thedup

thedup Level IV

I believe murderers can change. I imagine they do it as a form of terrible anxiety release, and eventually their mind heals from what they did
    i dont think suicide is murder, its a choice people deserve the right to make

4. alone1

alone1 Level II

Murderes can change, but it is completley up to them. Not everyone wants to change though, and thus, this creates the problem for us.

5. washable

washable Level I

Depending on the person they can change.

If it was a lapse of judgement then definitely they can change,
    but if a mental illness caused it then well, therapy.

Suicide isn't necessarily murder, I mean literally it is. But, it is someone's choice to do it and shouldn't be punished for it (even if they were able to punish it).

6. alone1

alone1 Level II

Certainly if it is a lapse of judgement, but if the person has the MINDSET to kill... then.. yea.

7. twinkies

twinkies Level II

I believe murderers can change, but like most people said it's really up to them. It's their choice whether they want to or not, but if you ask me if they murdered someone (on purpose) I don't think they'll change unless they feel guilty or if they realise that what they did was truely wrong.

As for suicide, yep I'm pretty sure that's considered murder x.x

8. Marble

Marble Level I

If someone tries to kill themselves and fails, that can be punished...
    though of course nobody would, as it would seem... extremely cruel, at the least.

9. alone1

alone1 Level II

What is the point of punishing someone who FAILED suicide...

10. Marble

Marble Level I

If someone tried to murder someone and failed, they'd be punished.

11. hitman9889

hitman9889 Level II

That's just it...suicide IS viewed as murder and is, thus, punishable by law.

As for murderers changing...I believe they can. I mean, haven't you ever done something and then regretted it much later? Obviously, not to the extreme that is murder, but it's still a change of heart.

12. Nets

Nets Level I

Indefinetely, suiciding is a murder and it can be further identified as a "self-murder". It is dreadful that this even happens.

13. Fergalicious

Fergalicious Newbie

The "punishment" for a failed suicide attempt an evaluation and possible hospitalization (mental). Considering you're not harming another individual in the process (at least not physically) I don't think suicide should be considered murder.

However, if it were, it would normally be premeditated. I don't think I've ever read about someone who "off'd" themselves without thinking (and possibly talking) about it first.

And, about murderers changing.
    I believe that everyone can change. Just because someones takes the life of someone else doesn't make them a bad person. There are exceptions and the law should take those under consideration.

Example: A woman is raped. She knows who did it but, the law finds the person not-guilty. Two weeks later, she meets up with this person again and she kills them.

Yes. It is murder. And is likely premeditated. However, I doubt she'd go and kill someone again. However, I believe that a murderer should be "forced" (for lack of a better term) to enlist in a pysciatric (I don't think I spelled that right) evaluation. At least every three to six months, depending the circumstances of their murder.

14. cardenal

cardenal Level III

I think suicide can't be classified as murder, but is, in essence, the same thing.

and I think, depending on the person, that murderers can change.
    It really all depends on the situation the person was in when they comitted the murder, don't you think?

15. Michelle

Michelle Level II

Murder & Suicide

I would say those who commit murder are capable of feeling regret and having a change of heart. It's usually a different case if they're mentally challenged. I'm not going to go in-depth as I prefer to stay away from things like this. I'll just say there are some very sick and twisted people out there.

Suicide is a topic I've never really had a solid view on. Personally, I believe that if a person wishes to take his or her own life, they should be allowed. I also believe in helping someone during a time of crisis which creates a conundrum I've yet to solve.

16. Fergalicious

Fergalicious Newbie

Hm. Interesting views, Michelle. :)

I do believe in helping someone in a crisis as well, and personally find suicide to be the most selfish thing a person can do but, at the same time feel that it is indeed their "choice". I mean, a person should have a say in where their road take 'em and "these people" (who commit suicide) obviously chose the "easy" way out.

--- Beliefs my parents raised me on. -eyeroll- I do still remain in touch with those beliefs although my own mentality has become more prominent since moving out of mom and dad's and I've begun to form my own {confusing} thoughts. Yay for me.

--- Anywho; yes, Michelle, you're right. Suicide is perplexing and causes many people to temporarily become a hypocrite in one form or another.

17. MarcelAjax

MarcelAjax Level IV

If someone fails at their suicide attempt you should help them mentally, not punish them. :?

18. Michelle

Michelle Level II

Suicide Again

Exactly. Why make their life worse? Besides, they're only hurting themselves by doing so. They may think suicide is the best way to solve a problem, but it's far from it.

19. yeng

yeng Level III

what if you see a person trying to jump a building/ship what will you do?

if im in this situation ill probably panic..

20. Michelle

Michelle Level II

Easy

I'll do what I always do. Have a conflict in my head about my different PoVs. By the time it's over, the person will have done what they wanted. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.