Deadly Artillery attack on South Korea

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by statter, Nov 23, 2010.

1. statter

statter Level II

There has been an artillery attack in South Korea by the North Koreans which is sparking concerns of War
    TBH, I am in South Korea right now for a vacation...Just my right luck right?
    So what do you guys think might happen?
    I am hoping that things will be settled peacefully

2. lolcow

lolcow Level III

[​IMG]

With that said, nothing's going to happen. It's merely more posturing from NK. I doubt NK is ridiculous enough to expect to win without support from China and the USSR (what, with the USSR not existing and Russia being a part of NATO)

powerof0 likes this.
  3. number460

number460 Level I

Well, at least Canadians don't get dragged into this one i will be happy. even if a war starts.

besides South Korea has Japan, USA and basically the rest of the world (UN)'s support if anything happens.

4. Fabian

Fabian Level I

Not really nice to see these happening in Asia. But..

It's not the fault of the people there. It's always the Goverment.

5. statter

statter Level II

Aiore, you are absolutely right...North Korea definitely has a HUGE disadvantage when it comes to resources (the world vs North Korea...a very even match right?)
    However, because of their disadvantage and their 'apparent' nuclear weapons, they have nothing to lose. If a war really does start, South Korea will lose a LOT while North Korea (which is already in a state of poverty) will lose a small amount compared to a developed South Korea.

6. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

I think that nothing will happen because North Korea has to feel that they are pretty alone, because it seems as though China is the only country that would consider any involvement on their behalf, but China is smart enough to know if they take part in it, they will have all the powerhouses fight against them, and likely be invaded on their own land, and also, they would get boycotted, and suddenly, their economy would be horrible since no one is buying their stuff.

7. lolcow

lolcow Level III

I think you're grossly underestimating the effect that China has on the world's economy. "Boycotting" Chinese products would do more harm to other countries than it would be China (gogo planned economy).

statter is right in saying that SK has much more to lose if a war were to break out. KJI (and KJU) are pretty much crap when it comes to leading a country.

8. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

yeah they are crap. But I am not really underestimating it, but you also have to understand that China won't take that risk. The one problem we might have is that when we shift to a war-time economy, we couldn't really focus on manufacturing goods too. But I don't think China would be dumb enough to ever test whether or not we would boycott their goods, because if we tried, it would be a major problem for them.

9. lolcow

lolcow Level III

:|

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/11/24 ... an-allies/

10. Sparratic

Sparratic Level III

Here is what can possibly happen if the Korea situation worsens:

1. USA jumps in, tries to muddle as usual. Sides with South Korea
    2. China and Russia jump to North Korea's rescue
    3. Pakistan continues to kiss China's a$$ and sends some nukes as well.
    4. India decides to join the party (tensions with Pakistan and China and US ally)
    4(a) Britain kisses US's a$$ and joins in. Iran and Myanmar gets pissed off and helps North Korea.
    5. World War boils up, its already 2011.
    5(a) Somehow Al Qaeda gets pulled into.
    6. UN is powerless, can't do ANYTHING.
    7. By the time 2012 comes, situation goes WAY out of hand
    8. A few nukes go off (Russia, USA, India, Pakistan, North Korea, probably China all nuclear countries)
    9. End of the world = 2012

11. lolcow

lolcow Level III

China's backing has dwindled for quite some time. They don't really like KJI, and they certainly don't love the idea of NK having functional nukes. There are two (major) reasons why China is still backing them.

1. The same reason China and the USSR played lovey-dovey for the West: they need some allies with the same 'ideals' (communism)
    2. They need a buffer between themselves and a westernized SK

I don't think they'll be in any hurry to "jump" to NK's defense.

In the same token, The US isn't going to interfere. The Korean War took place when China was huge, but posed no real threat and when the US was the only nuclear power. The US can't act with absolute impunity in that region anymore because China (you know, the one that owns 10% of our national debt) won't let them.

12. Prodigy

Prodigy Level II

I wonder what happens to Asian Americans if China goes to war with any Asian country. I hope those Japanese concentration camps aren't repeated.

13. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

Prodigy, there is no chance, there would be way too man, and that won't happen with an ultra-liberal president like obama

And aiore, the Korean War isn't over, so yes, the US would come help. No doubt. I don't know how you could even question it after the US sent a ship into the yellow sea.

14. lolcow

lolcow Level III

Technically, the Korean War isn't over. But then according to technicalities, Vietnam wasn't even a war.

The fact that Obama ordered a carrier to the Yellow Sea is just more posturing - more symbolic than anything else. Do you really think Americans would support another war without having fully recovered from the economic crisis? A diplomatic conclusion to the conflict is much more preferable (to most parties involved). The fact of the matter is, we are already entrenched in Iraq and Afghanistan. Adding Korea on top of that would be unwise.

15. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

Apparently you don't know what got us out of the great depression, it was WWII. Our war-time economies do amazingly well. It may be unwise, but by putting the carrier in the yellow sea after China had warned us not to is saying that we are there to defend them, so no one be stupid or we will attack you.

16. lolcow

lolcow Level III

Yes. The war in Iraq has really caused us to shift to a war-time economy and all the oil there will be a huge bo... oh wait.
    If you haven't already realized, war has changed from what it was 50 years ago.

AFAIK, China hasn't warned the US against stationing a carrier there.

17. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

18. lolcow

lolcow Level III

19. Prodigy

Prodigy Level II

20. lolcow

lolcow Level III

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonhap