1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think this is racist?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Angelika, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

2. Will

Will Level IV

Not even remotely racist... :)

He's throwing that unshaven head away...... isn't it a semi-black guy throwing a semi-black guy's head away?

3. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

I can see how people would find that racist, but I think in Australia we look at it a little differently than Americans.

Take this article for instance:
    http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/te ... 5784048432

It's not meant to be intentionally racist, nor do I find the advertisement racist, but wouldn't be surprised if some proportion of people do.

4. Freja

Freja Level IV

I don't really find it racist. If it had been a white guy, nobody would've noticed. I also think it's dangerous to become "too careful". You are always gonna step on somebody's toes these days..

5. H3nry

H3nry Level III

That is...quite horrendous :|

At no point did nobody think....this may not be the best idea?

6. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

The thing is, they did an ad with a white guy too, and they chose to use a different caption:
    [​IMG]
    "Sin City isn't an excuse to look like hell"

So a disheveled white guy is just returning from Vegas, while a brown guy with an afro is uncivilized?? How does that NOT sound racist? If anything, they could have at least kept the caption consistent.

Also, I don't think it's fair to argue that "had it been a white guy...etc" because that's like comparing grapefruits to grapes.

7. Freja

Freja Level IV

How is it not? If it had been the other way around, people would have thought of it racist too (because afros look like hell?) Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the big deal. Also, I don't think there is such a big difference between black and white, I mean we're both human o.o Not like we're not the same "race" lol.

8. Heather

Heather Level IV

I only think it's racist since you brought in the second ad. If the captions had been the same I wouldn't see a problem with it, but since they arent, it definitely raises some questions.

9. Junior

Junior Administrator
    Staff Member

I come from a land down under! (Maaaate!)
    We all started out as black monkeys...

some of us just evolved further XD

okay okay now that WAS racist. But I saw it on a t-shirt somewhere the other day.. Strangely enough, it was on an Australian indigenous person...

I think people need to toughen the cake up.

10. tristen1230

tristen1230 Level II

When I first looked at it I was like why is that guy throwing a African man head in the air but then I thought is it that guys head which I think it is. When I first saw it I thought hmmmm but once I got it I don't think it was. At least the meaning isn't but people who just see a glimpse may think that.

11. 38Special

38Special Level I

LOL!
    I think that WAS racist, really.

12. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

That's not funny.

Of course we're all human, but all humans have not had the same history. Of course people wouldn't call it racist if it was a white guy, because there are not hundreds of years of history in which white people have been called uncivilized. The stereotype of brown people being uncivilized is something that was constructed during colonialism in order to justify slavery, pillaging, rape, exploitation, etc. Of course people would be sensitive about that, no matter how different things are today.

Having an afro is a personal preference, just like it's my preference to keep my hair curly. Someone may think it looks like hell, but they wouldn't call me uncivilized because of it. So why would an afro (a personal preference) be considered uncivilized?

I'm not arguing that it was intentionally racist, but it's a PR company's job to be aware of how the public will react to their advertisements. I'm just confused as to how this didn't seem like it would be an issue.

13. Drumstick

Drumstick Level III

Having a big bushy afro is obviously not as clean or professional looking. Same with having a beard that's not nicely trimmed or cleanly shaved, etc. I don't think it's racist. However, I do think that they expect people to instantly understand that by being "civilized" they are implying cleanliness/maintaining a state of professionalism, which may or may not be the case. I think it's funny how people can get so worked up about something like this. I don't see the big deal with something like this.

14. Freja

Freja Level IV

Hah yes, I am aware of that, and I did get the whole uncivilized thing you're talking about xD
    But it's not like the word uncivilized is in direct connection to black people o.o It's not like how they were considered monkeys, whereas that would be highly racist. A white guy with that kind of hair on his head would also be uncivilized. But I do get your point. I just don't really think it's THAT racist. And as I said, I think it's disgusting how politically correct we all have to be these days. You have to be careful with everything you say about black people. How about not just treating them as everyone else isntead of being so sensitive about it.

And I just want to state that I never thought it was funny O___o

15. Virre

Virre Level IV

*cough*Whitedevil*cough*

You can spin both commercials to look racist, that doesn't mean that they are.

16. 38Special

38Special Level I

You stole my words, lol.
    Having afro, beard, or long hair it's not proffesional. But is not racism, it's an standard.

17. H3nry

H3nry Level III

I cannot believe what I just read, seriously, are you kidding me?
    You say something absurd like that followed by people just need to toughen up?

There are no words right now....you've really pissed me off.

18. MCheezie

MCheezie Level IV

OMG Ang
    srsly?!?

19. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

Clearly, the guy getting ready for a discus throw and the owner of the head either felt it wasn't racist or just didn't concern themselves with this question.

20. Freja

Freja Level IV

This is racist
    [​IMG]