1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

document.evaluate return question

Discussion in 'General Programming Chat' started by Siren, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Siren

Siren Level I

Quick q:

Code (Text):
    2. if (document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null).singleNodeValue == "<b>You approach the massive omelette...</b>"){
    3.     console.log("omelette content value found");
    4.     document.forms[1].submit(); //leave
    5. }
    when I tested document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null in console, it returned:

Code (Text):
    1.  <b>You approach the massive omelette...</b>
    however, the == expression keeps returning false when it is blatantly true. I figured the problem was that document.evaluate isn't returning a string of text to compare, so I tried:

Code (Text):
    1. document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null).singleNodeValue.toString();
    and it returned:

Code (Text):
    1. "[object HTMLElement]"
    How do I get around this, in order to check the value of the xpath?

tl;dr can't figure out how to access value of document.evaluate'd xpath

Thanks!

2. chelsea1

chelsea1 Level IV

The returned code is " <b>You approach the massive omelette...</b>" note the space at the beginning (and possible the end).

The code you are looking for is "<b>You approach the massive omelette...</b>" with no spaces.

This could well be your problem

3. Siren

Siren Level I

Thanks for the response!
    Totally my bad, I copied it wrong with the space.

Console logs on the page, with/without space:

Without space:
    Code (Text):
    1. document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null).singleNodeValue ==  "<b>You approach the massive omelette...</b>"
    2. false
    With space:
    Code (Text):
    2. document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null).singleNodeValue == " <b>You approach the massive omelette...</b>"
    3. false

EDIT:

I read about the parameter for return type of xpath's document.evaluate hoping that changing XPathResult to the appropriate String parameter would work:
    Code (Text):
    2. document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.STRING_TYPE, null).singleNodeValue
    3. Error: TYPE_ERR: DOM XPath Exception 52
    XPath Exception 52? What the hell? Googled it,

What do I do in order to use the result of document.evaluate / make it a string? :-\

4. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

That is because
    Try either:
    Code (Text):
    2. document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null).singleNodeValue.toString().trim() == "<b>You approach the massive omelette...</b>";
    Or

Code (Text):
    2. document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.STRING_TYPE, null).trim() == "<b>You approach the massive omelette...</b>";

Siren likes this.
  5. Siren

Siren Level I

Thanks for the help!

The problem is that any functional code (ie:
    Code (Text):
    1. document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null).singleNodeValue.toString().trim()
    )

returns
    Code (Text):
    1. "[object HTMLElement]"
    So that this statement is true:

Code (Text):
    1. document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null).singleNodeValue.toString().trim() == "[object HTMLElement]"
    2. true
    However, I want the actual value of the HTMLElement.

Also, for the other one,
    Code (Text):
    1. document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.STRING_TYPE, null).trim()
    can't .trim() because it's not a string. if we .toString(); :

Code (Text):
    1. document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.STRING_TYPE, null).toString()
    2. "[object XPathResult]"
    and then trim the string result:

Code (Text):
    1. document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.STRING_TYPE, null).toString().trim();
    2. "[object XPathResult]"
    we get the same
    Code (Text):
    1. "[object XPathResult]"
    Problem is that we can't use this as a string of text:

Code (Text):
    1. document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.STRING_TYPE, null).toString().trim() == "<b>You approach the massive omelette</b>"
    2. false
    only comparable this [xpath] object:

Code (Text):
    1. document.evaluate("//*[@id='content']/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/center/p[1]/b", document, null, XPathResult.STRING_TYPE, null).toString().trim() == "[object XPathResult]"
    2. true
    Thanks for the help, guys!