1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ex-Neopet Programmer

Discussion in 'Programmer Application' started by cmcginnis, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmcginnis

cmcginnis Newbie

I can write software in:
    Delphi
    PHP
    C#
    Assembly
    C/C++
    Python
    JavaScript
    SQL

I am the person that developed the main shop security system back in 2004. It actually would be more difficult than it is, however I was not allowed to make it so.

Would you like to know more?

2. omgcat

omgcat Level IV

Go ahead... o.o

:D

3. the_skip

the_skip Level IV

Yeah how to avoid it

4. cmcginnis

cmcginnis Newbie

There isn't any way to avoid it (that I know of). All information is stored in a database and that data is only used server-side.

What I can tell you is that the character images have a higher opacity than the background. The original intent was to have each blend together equally. The reason being is that by increasing the brightness and contrast, you can wash out the background. You can analyze the image to find the darkest spot. That darkest spot will most likely be the eyes of the pet.

Also, it seems they have not generated new CAPTCHA images in nearly 3 years. To make an ab quick, save as many of the images as you can. Generate an MD5 hash for each image and store the coordinate of where the pet is. When the AB is running and comes across the CAPTCHA image, generate an MD5 hash of the one being presented. Use the hash to look up the proper coordinate information. Buy Buy Buy. The system would have worked much better had they followed my original design.

The reason I have posted here is because was interested to see how other people solved the CAPTCHA problem by either bypassing it or analyzing the image itself.

5. marlene

marlene Moderator
    Staff Member

sounds very interesting.... so what can you tell us about their security... and ways to avoid being iced?

There's been speculation that the staff doesn't work on weekends and that's why people don't get iced as much as during the week.

Also... personally I'm interested to know how their approach is towards proxies.

What type of comparisons do the do? track IP's, locations, etc.

Last thing... what's with all these new cookies neopets is setting on our computers? What are they hoping to accomplish?

Tell us as much as you can

thanks!

6. cmcginnis

cmcginnis Newbie

I haven't worked there 3 in three years, but what I can remember is that they would watch to see how many fast the pages were being hit and which sections. That way they could tell if the activity was potential bot activity.

I am not sure if they are tracking I.P's nowadays. No one used to work on the weekends, at least not looks for people using bot programs. The other thing they look for large money transactions. It is kind of a flag to start to look into suspicious activities.

2nd post

If your program can mimic human behavior, then you should be able to fly under than radar.

3rd post

The cookies look like preference and stats tracking cookies. They like to know what you are up to so they can better target ads to you.

Posts merged, please don't triple post - Marlene

7. Snowman

Snowman Level IV

Thats interesting...Try not to triple post though ok?

8. cmcginnis

cmcginnis Newbie

I will try.

:D You're making a cell block player! That's funny. I made that. Boy does it suck. And no, it was 4 years ago, I don't remember the code inside.

9. Snowman

Snowman Level IV

Lol yea, it works pretty good ill trying to make it better so it wins more though

10. expon

expon Administrator
    Staff Member

please continue with your utter bull.

11. Snowman

Snowman Level IV

LMAO, haha it is hard to believe that

12. sebzanga

sebzanga Level III

It sounds very surprising, but I could not understand nothing.... you do not speak Spanish?

13. palepink

palepink Level IV

I don't believe him either... :lol:

14. Mikaz

Mikaz Level II

I'm a bit sceptical as well.

Considering your knowledge I do believe you're a programmer. The things you found out about the site need some programming/web knowledge to find out.

On the other hand, I don't believe you worked for neopets. I wouldn't know why a skilled programmer that worked for a large company as neopets (considering your story is true) would waste its time hanging around at a forum that's specialized at cheating Neopets, while you probably get a decent other job.

This seems a bit unbelievable as well. Considering that neopets has 4 billion web page views per month (I got this information from Wikipedia) they would save a massive amount of data just to see how fast people load certain pages? Seems a bit unlogical to me.

15. chelsea1

chelsea1 Level IV

i m slightly skeptical as well but i think you should submit or show some examples to prove your claims
    oh and robawtic, just because someone knows as many languages as you, doesn't mean they are tallking utter bull (although they still might)

16. sebzanga

sebzanga Level III

Delete the post of Bonecs please :D

Thankz

17. the_skip

the_skip Level IV

He may talk about him saying he wored for neopets. I was thinking about having reconizable aptcha images since they don't llok like they change

18. sstwo86

sstwo86 Level I

the new programmer ??
    sure ?

19. the_skip

the_skip Level IV

I don't get what you are saying but the sure is not very nice to say and pretty rude. The guy in the appication celtainly knows what he is talking about

20. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

Well he can be speaking truth, but he can be speaking something that he heard from another neopets cheating forum and could easily copy/paste other's users posts from the other board and claim them as him.
    I agree with chelsea, cmcginnis, you should prove what you know, if you're speaking truth, you must understand why we're all doubting about what you said, it's not everyday that a former member from TNT comes across this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.