Fat people on planes

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Milanos, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

There has just been some news item about this, so I was wondering what your thought about this are.

It's basically like this. Do you think people that take up more space than their seat allows them, thus making the person next to them feel uncomfortable and that the person next to them does NOT get the space he paid for, should pay for two seats?

I think they should. Overweight people make it harder for the plane to take off. This makes it more expensive.. Now imagine a whole plane full of overweight people. This will cost the company a lot more than taking off without overweight people. So they would for instance charge more for the tickets, because they still want their profit. Now if you are not overweight, but are on the plane with a lot of overweight people, you are basically paying for their extra weight. That just does not make sense to me.

It's just this simple to me. You pay if you have more baggage with you than allowed, so you should pay if you have more weight with you than normal.

Any other opinions on this?

2. Freya

Freya Level III

I totally agree... I'm one of the happy people that have not had the discomfort of sitting next to an overweighted person... but If they have a certain 'size' I think they should have to pay for two seats... since they just take up that much space

3. Jubixion

Jubixion Level II

Well, I've never met people that are THAT fat till they have to take up 2 seats. But it is pretty unfair for fat people to have to pay for 2 seats on a plane, thats really costly and indirectly, its discriminating them for their size since they have to pay more because of their size.

4. Freya

Freya Level III

Well... I think there is like a conflikt between fat person and the person tat has to sit next to him/her... In my opinion you can't expect somebody to have to sit next to a person which is taking up half of his seat, therefore the logical consequence would be that the fat person has to pay for 2 seats since there can't be anyone sitting next to them...
    I mean it also costs less for Seniors or children ... why shouldn't it cost less for normal sized people?

5. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

Well, it's their own fault. It's unhealthy, and they should do something about it anyway.

6. Freya

Freya Level III

It's kind of like prohibiting smoking in public places... Some smokers will also say it's discriminating

7. lolcow

lolcow Level III

That is the most ignorant...

Why not kill everyone with AIDS? It's their fault their ancestors screwed a monkey
    Why not prevent every single mentally challenged person from attending school? They aren't doing anything anyways
    Hell, why not commit mass genocide? It'll save resources in the long run

Not every person is made from the same mold. Some people are more likely to be "fat" than others due to their genes. Imposing standards to discriminate against a certain group of people is reminiscent of certain fascist leaders. I mean, if you can't handle sitting next to a fat person for a couple of hours...

8. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

This is a totally different thing than killing everyone with AIDS, and the other things you named. People can't really help that. If you eat a lot and gain weight, it's simply your own fault. Compare it to this. You gamble a lot, get addicted, and lose your money. It's still your own fault.

constantsorrow likes this.
  9. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

I think that's not a bad policy at all.
    But won't paying for two seats also discourage fat people to travel? They might raise some strong objections because it might not be "fair" to them.
    From my personal experience, I really HATE fat people. Like not those chubby ones. I only hate them when you try to move away to make room BETWEEN the two of you, but they only take it as "more space for them" and they would take up the space I made. I really hate sitting next to someone, and have any part of their body touch any part of mine. That's just how I am with strangers.
    To be honest, since they have so much fat, they have no idea it's poking into other people's space. Not to mention they'll cause flight attendants trouble depending on how much their fat arms stick out into the aisle.
    It's not fair that a fat person can easily be paying the price of only one person when clearly they weight about 2.
    I'd honestly rather carry more souvenir and things than just 50lb in each of my suitcases from places I don't go often.
    Plane's uncomfortable enough as it is. I don't need any less space than a seat already has.

Sure it can be argued that a person might be fat from genes or whatever. But people don't get fat like goo FROM genes. Genes usually make someone chubbier than everyone, not extremely fat and full of BO.

10. Freya

Freya Level III

Well.... for one I'm not asking to kill fat people.. They should just have to pay for the space they take up, and then being fat has nothing to do with AIDS etc...
    Id you are literally so fat that you don't fit inthe seat of the plane this is your own fault... It took you yars to get fat and you didn'd really do anything about it.

11. lolcow

lolcow Level III

Some people are genetically preconditioned to be fat. Is that there fault?
    It's a slippery slope from "let's require certain groups of people to pay more money to enjoy the same benefits!" to "let's limit what they can do" to "let's just get rid of them all."

12. Freya

Freya Level III

Okay now... you are not genetically preconditened to become fat, yes... some of it is in your genes but there are no gens which will make you so fat that you don't fit in an airplane seat without you contributing significantly to this...

"It's not my fault that I'm eating at Mc'donalds, Burger King and Wendy's threee times a day..."

Do you seriously believe those people live healthly?

btw about the genes thing... please give me a source which prooves what you said untill than I'm not beliving a word

13. Molly

Molly Level III

I agree... If you are so fat that you take up two seats in an airplane, most of the time it isn't because of your genes. If you are that overweight, it is because you are living an unhealthy lifestyle.

I believe that if you pay for an entire seat, you should get your whole seat. You shouldn't have to give up half of it to the person next to you.

14. daFalco

daFalco Level III

Yeah. I mean, you could argue some people are genetically conditioned to be fat, but I'm pretty sure they could still maintain a relatively normal body weight... On one hand, its unfair to the airlines, on the other hand, its unfair for the fat person because (s)he has to be pay more. Maybe a compromise, halfway? So you have 1.5 the amount..

Moving the topic, I find the baggage prices and restrictions rather ridiculous. Not like a few years ago when you could bring a lot more things.

15. lolcow

lolcow Level III

16. Molly

Molly Level III

3 kg is roughly 7 lbs. That's hardly a significant amount.

17. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

Indeed, if I'd weigh 3 kg more, it still wouldn't be a problem. 3 kg is nothing. So I think this only disproves your argument?

18. lolcow

lolcow Level III

It's an average. Obviously, there are people without the "fat" gene that are fat. It doesn't disprove my argument that there is a fat gene and that some people are more prone to becoming heavy.

19. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

It'd be pretty lame to just put the blame on the fat gene. Even if you have the gene, you can still be normal weight.

20. lolcow

lolcow Level III

It'd be pretty lame to indiscriminately raise prices on plane tickets for fat people. Upgrade your seat if you have problems :<