Flag Pride

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by goncalo, Mar 16, 2008.

1. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

So... Who else thinks that flag pride is the doom of the nations?

I mean, like those people who say "I'm proud of my country" and "We *insert country people here* rock". This is quite common in society but, if you think well about it, it's the reason behind many problems.

People won't cooperate with other people from other nations because they live in a constant complex of superiority with other people, and they won't mind if other people from other countries are killed in wars, only worry about them.

Now this might sound sort of naive, but imagine a world without pride. People help each other without thinking about what each one did in the past. Imagine if just, from now on, past wars would be forgot and a new civilization cycle would begin. No old issues. Can't people think a little and stop using pride as a social statement and just do better for, not only others, but also themselves?

Now let your mind speak.

2. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

You make a good point. And I see where you are coming from.

Sometimes it does cause alot of problems... but I think its also the glue that holds many nations together. It is necessary.

And not everyone is like that, Some people embrace others nationalities. I've lived in Italy before. (I'm american)

And it seemed like the majority of the locals I met were fascinated by americans. They were so nice, giving us gifts, inviting us to dinners. And in return we felt the same way. I wanted to learn alot about their country and its history as well.

My sister has duel citizenship untill she's 18. Then she has to choose between USA and Italy.

PS: You're back! Havnt seen you in a while

3. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

Yup, it is necessary, on a big scale like relations between countries. But we also have examples on smaller plans, like competition and definitely-not-suitable rivalry between supporters of different sports teams. If people could just be a little more self-counscious of their acts, like vandalizing whole areas and killing other people, and instead keep the competition within the stadiums... That would not only help with the progress of a certain country's economy in general but also attract more people who are afraid of these kind of acts to a certain sport and help their own team.

Blame parents + obsession with school exams.

4. xcoasterx

xcoasterx Level II

I'm fine with loving your country. I don't care if people say America is better than Canada. I know that both the countries have the same quality of life for the most part and anything you feel in america you can feel in canada. I would though say that canada and america are better than poor countries like swaziland.