Freedom of Religion... interesting letter to the editor.

Discussion in 'World of SPAM' started by lolcool22, Mar 11, 2007.

1. lolcool22

lolcool22 Level III

[​IMG]

What do you guys think of this? Personally, I think freedom of religion allows one to have NO religion. Atheists are a part of America. Atheists are a part of the world.

This is what I find wrong about a lot of Christians I know, many of them are very hypocritical and intolerant.

This kind of garbage sickens me.

2. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

She's psycho. She probably voted for Bush (680 days), too... Freedom of religion is not that you have to believe in God, but you can pick your denomination. It's freedom the believe whatever you'd like. Atheists chose to believe that there is no God. I think people like Alice should be asked to leave the country.

If most of the Christians you know act like that, then you either don't know many Christians, or you're making a sweeping generalization. For every psycho religious fanatic there are three normal people of faith. Don't let people that write into newspapers, or the stars of Jesus Camp mold your way of thinking about Christians. We're not all crazy.

3. lolcool22

lolcool22 Level III

I actually went to a Christian high-school, and knew tons of Christians. Most of them were very shaky in their faith, or hypocritical. I'm not saying there aren't normal Christians, but most Christians are like this.

4. btboy5

btboy5 Level II

That sounds like she's converting us. Lol. Anyway, I'm sure most people have religions and IF you stick to your religious beliefs, I'm sure you'd get many benefits from them. Religions try to make the world better. Those that don't are cults. And people fight over religions because they think there is a supreme one. Which, of course, there isn't.

5. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

I'm religious (Christian) but I only can laugh about this XD
    She's crazy! I'm Italian, from me there is the Pope, but he never thought about kicking off atheist from Italy :lol:
    We aren't in the Middle Ages^^"
    Anyway... I've seen she doesn't mention Islam, Buddhism etc... but only types of Christianism, and it means much about her! She is intolerant and I think she has a strange idea on what religion is... peace isn't only a political word, it's the base also of the Christianism .__."

However I hope that most of Christians aren't like this... I attend church, but luckily I really don't know anyone like this o_O"

6. Summertime_Blues

Summertime_Blues Level III

She's crazy. I don't see why she can make these generalizations about Athiests when she probably doesn't even know any. Freedom of Religion means that you can believe whatever you want so if you belive there is no god then that's okay. What I don't like about Athiests is the one that want to get everything religious taken out of America because our background is religion so who do they think they are to try to get rid of our history

7. deathcraze

deathcraze Level III

that letter reeks strongly of discrimination.

how could the editor even allow this to be published? if some politicians get worked up about this, it could cause major unrest..

8. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

I agree... I think that respect must be from both the parts.
    However I don't know how is from you... but from me also the Islam is very strong and want to kick off most of Christian symbols :? I can't accept this as I can't accept all religious/atheist intollerances...
    I'm tolerant, but I think that the tolerance has to came from all religions!

Press freedom =P However... yes, I think it will cause a lot of angry replyes!

9. jfur_x

jfur_x Level III

People can be so ridiculous about religion I can only laugh about it at times. Freedom of religion would obviously cover the absence of religion or the belief that there is no God. Maybe I'm just super laid back or something but I cannot for the life of me understand why other people get so upset about other peoples beliefs. It doesn't hurt them that someone else believes something else so what is the big deal. The only thing that bothers me is when people get so PC that it impedes on someone's belief. For example when people complain about public Christmas decorations because they're not Christian, to me that's just silly.

10. Xiaoset

Xiaoset Level III

I'm a Christian, but I'm not that psycho.. LOL, my girlfriend is a Wiccan, which the bible says "..is like sleeping with evil." so obviously I'm pretty laid back with my religion.

11. ub0r

ub0r Level III

I'd like to see her find statistics to prove that.

Oh what great logic she possesses! All hail Alice Shannon of Soldotna!! :roll:

12. Xiaoset

Xiaoset Level III

Lol, yeah, she seems like a crazy fanatic

13. lolcool22

lolcool22 Level III

Most letters to the editor are very controversial, at least where I live. They're really just to stir debate.

14. ub0r

ub0r Level III

Yep. In my journalism class we are told that if we want our works to be noticed, we have to take a stance on either of the extremes. This holds true for editors in the newspaper who will choose controversial topics to draw readers in.

15. lolcool22

lolcool22 Level III

Exactly. Who wants to read an article that takes a neutral stance on an issue? Most people don't have that belief, they're either for one side or the other.