geoengineering: Trying to change the earths climate

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by punkeydew, Mar 24, 2007.

?

Good or Bad???

1. For it!

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Against it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. not sure, but it's our last hope

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/03 ... index.html

there is the article:
    Views, or Comments?

My two cents:

We are asking for it. This is a BIG chance, it is a genious idea. But too risky and drastic. If something goes wrong....

Ps. As you guys are probably starting to notice I'm a big earth freak :p lol Sorry if its getting old

2. X Joe Kickass X

X Joe Kickass X Level IV

Nah. We're going to fuck up our planet big time. We already created global warming and we probably shouldn't take our chances.

3. LiesOfLove

LiesOfLove Level I

I guess not, I think we're going to f*** up earth even more. It could be good, but the risks are far too high.

4. ali913xx

ali913xx Level III

I don't think it's wrong to use science to improve our living conditions, but I believe that this is taking it too far. We're screwing with the fabric of nature, and that can't have a good effect.

5. Traitors Gate

Traitors Gate Newbie

I don't think we should risk it, has anybody seen the movie "Core"? Our planet is going to end up like that if we keep trying to use science to fix our mistakes. We have to quit doing what we're doing to change it. Also, where can I get that "Against the Drug" clip?

6. blackoutzx

blackoutzx Level II

Its too risky, if it works then great but if it doesn't then it makes things worst

7. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

hehe

Its good to hear others opinions.

Seriously. I mean there is alot man can do for the greater good.

We should be using our brains to actually find a way to stop global warming, not just a quick temp fix.

Personally I think that if we do that. People wont take global warming as seriously. If we fix everyhting and make it better. People will think its ok to just keep living like they are living.

2 things that I think it would be cool to see before I die.
    Life on other planets
    And the end of the world as we know it.

I mean. Not that im rushing it to be in my lifetime. It would just be interesting to see what happens, how things play out

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Level I

bad idea, i thnk the earth is fine aas is now

9. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

:(

Yes it is a bad idea

but the earth is not fine as is. We are on a one way ticket to self destruction. REAL fast

10. americanpierg

americanpierg Level III

lol the earth has been fine for the past 6 billion years...leave it alone humans!

11. orangejellybean

orangejellybean Level III

Global warming has been started, now it cant stop. Its too late; were as good as dead.

12. xenophobe

xenophobe Level II

maybe thats why they came out with the giant vocano idea. we're as good as dead, might as well have some fun.

13. lolcool22

lolcool22 Level III

Re: :(

I think you should stop posting debate threads in neopets forums and do some research and be one of the people to help fix the problem.

I think whatever we can do to stop/fix global warming is a good idea. The saucers sound a little far-fetched, but if they can do it, I say go for it.

14. marlene

marlene Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually, a major reason climate change is now being addressed is due in part to people that raise the topic in all kinds of forums. No one person can change the way things are going, but more and more people trying to bring up the consequences of what we are doing to this planet will in part help to reverse the trend.

Do I think this planet is too far gone? NO. I believe the planet is capable of repairing a lot of what we've done to it a,d we can do our part by reducing emissions. But like all things... you can only push things too far until they break.

15. lolcool22

lolcool22 Level III

Still though, posting on a Neopets forum isn't getting anything done on the subject. She sounds like she's really concerned about the environment, and debating the condition of it on a forum isn't doing anything to solve it, it's merely provoking others to solve it. Be a part of the solution.

16. xenophobe

xenophobe Level II

Yeah, i agree wth ^. Social commentary is needed to spark change, issues must be raised to get dealt with.

The effects of Global warming may or may not be reversible. But even if it is reversible, it's still too late to those alreay extinct. Developed countries must take the lead to reduce emissions, not come out with some half baked idea. (trillion saucer my $#@)

17. marlene

marlene Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually... if you reread my post, you'll see the first step in solving any problem is raising awareness, which she is doing with her post. Granted, this is not a huge forum, but if it informs a few people or makes a few people start thinking about the subject, then that's more than most do.

If those same few people she affects goes out and informs one or two other people... and those people go out to one or two other people... the idea snowballs.

Most people 10 years ago, didn't even know what Global Warming was. And thanks to a few dedicated people, it's now on the world stage.

Don't knock people for trying. It's those people that make the difference.

18. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

Like she said I am trying to raise the awarness of others.

Yes I do alot in my everyday life to help the earth. I do everything I can as one person. But alot of people are still ignorant as to what is going on. This is a community. And yes it is neopets related, but there are still other topics disscussed. Why not disscuss this? Considering it is an important issue. Plus I really like to see other people opinions and comments.

19. americanpierg

americanpierg Level III

But then you can argue that we wont be here when it dies who what matters lol...then again we could discover some life-extending elixer and then have to suffer the consequences of our environment destructive ways...intruiging!

20. ali913xx

ali913xx Level III

But what about your children? and your grandchildren? what if you were the generation that really had to deal with these problems, wouldn't you wish that your grandparents had cared about more then just themselves and helped improve the situation? Somewhere along the line, these problems are going to increase drastically in severity and someone somewhere is going to deal with the consequences of our actions and choices. It's not fair to condemn a future generation to destruction because we only care about ourselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.