Global Warming

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Fendi, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

Do you think it is just a coverup to stop us all going mad because the world is slowly destroying itself or do you think it's true. There was a documentry in the UK (CH4) and in it someone said that vocanos create far more CO2 than us and we can't stop global warming. Your views?

2. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

The fact is Volcanoes are a natural part of nature.

It's not just the CO2

Humans are adding FAR more to the enviroment than it was meant to sustain.

In fact volcanic eruptions have been proven to actually LOWER the temperature of the earth.

Of corse it's real. We are living in it. Polar ice caps are melting and entire ice shelfs are breaking off. Polar bears are drowning to death swimming out to sea to live on ice bergs that once were easy to come by but are now scarce.

The hole in the ozone layer grows ever larger

Over the last century the average temperature has climbed about 1 degree Fahrenheit ... This may not seam like a big deal, but overall MANY creatures depend on temperature as a part of their survival.

The concentration of carbon dioxide has increased an average of about 1.8 ppm per year over the past two decades. This is exponential growth. Just like population, it will climb higher and steeper each year unless drastic measures are taken.

What happened to the Electric cars ... Don't ask...

3. onprogus

onprogus Level IV

The world has a natural cycle of heat waves and so at this point in time it is normal for the world to get hotter.
    However, humans are both speeding up this effect and will make it hotter than it ever has been before.

4. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

agreed, the earth DOES have a natural cycle. But at the rate we are taking the earth right now we could most likely break this cycle. Once we get to a certain temperature/ CO2 level the earth will no longer be able to naturally cool itself anymore.

5. onprogus

onprogus Level IV

True true, especially if we keep ripping down the rainforest! The trees are what have saved us so far and now not only are we killing off a way of removing CO2 from the atomosphere, we then go and burn them!!! This puts more CO2 back into the atomosphere.
    The idiocies of some humans is beyond me...

6. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

By where I live there is a lumberyard about .. half an hour out. There are THOUSANDS and i am not over exagerating THOUSANDS of dead trees stacked up on acres of land.

My heart breaks every time I pass it. I mean. You hear about forest destruction and how many trees we kill each day. But it is never really a REAL thing. It never really hits close to home untill you pass by one of these places.

It just hits me like a wave of depression. I seriously get this heavy saddening feeling. I try to look away but I just can't. And this is just one mill. One months or weeks worth of trees for them.

It is unspeakable

7. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

^^

I like this theory though we prob have already passed the point which we can stop ourselves all being engulfed by heat xD Has Bush admitted global warming is real yet? The world is going to end in such a boring way if it's global warming why couldn't something more intresting happen like aliens! Then Bush could start a war and us good ole Brits could follow like the bullies best mate.

8. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

Re: ^^

I am not sure how I feel on this topic.

I have read alot of articles that state we are PAST the point of no return... and I have read alot of articles that think we havn't but are VERY close to it.

The most supportive I have found states that after a 2 degree rise globally effects would be irriversable.

But then again. The earth is capable of many great things. But we are overloading its balence systems

9. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

What I don't get is what part of global warming is the closest Floods, Other natural disaters, drought (I can't spell that) or just the heat because there seems to be a lot against us!

10. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

Re: ...

Well global warming has alot of factors.

Global warming itself refers to the temperature increase of the earth.

But global warming has many effects. The temperature rise causes floods, increase in hurricanes, drought ect.

They are all realated

11. novastar

novastar Level I

It so happens that I am learning sustainability for my biology lessons now.
    It is a fact that due to many reasons(namely greenhouse effects etc), the ozone layer is depleting faster than it can repair. All these lead to global warming, and there is probably no turning back no, since I believe global warming has gone too far and no one has done anything about it.

12. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

I didn't think it could repair I thought that was the point. I suppose volcanos are out of the question though because they have been around ince the beggining and only recently things have been spiraling out of control. Plus wern't there like hundreds/thousands more years ago

13. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

There was the electric cars.

Shall we get into that? I am a firm believer that it was a conspiracy. If you have not seen the movie about it.. I reccomend it :p They have it at blockbuster.

The thing is.. and this is what outrages me the most. There are things we can do. The technology exists. The goverment is just afraid of an economy collapse.

And rightfully so. Exxon is the #1 business in the WORLD. If we all started driving electric cars. The economy would suffer greatly. I'm talking worse than the depression.

This is what makes me mad. I would rather the earth be around than worry about the dam economy and money. I would rather be broke and living in a box and think that in another 200 years everything will be dead. Except for cockroaches

14. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

:eek:

Oooh I heard the cockroaches thing was a myth xD Anyway No president is ever going to take the risk of possibly destroying the greatest superpower in the world. It's the good old did we actually evolve for the better. There may not be killer robots atm but technology will kill us.

15. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

Actually, there are already people who are trying to stop this global warming, yesterday the first minister of Portugal told in an press conference that he was looking forward to bring new methods of avoiding the global warming to the country, and he reffered the electric cars thingy.
    And the eletricity company of the country (edp) also bought another company from the USA of aeolic energy and there are being built lots of aoelic energy stations in portugal, in order to avoid the burn of carbon to produce energy, which affects the ozone layer.
    I guess that with time, everyone will begin getting used to new methods.

16. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

17. Virre

Virre Level IV

We have tax relief for people who choose cars that run on alternative fuels, even people who buy hybridcars gets the benefit.
    Last year, 13% of the new cars that were sold in Sweden were cars that run on alternative fuels. That's a pretty sweet increase.
    We also recently tried car customs for everyone who wanted to drive into the city. The voting afterwards showed that most people liked it so now we're getting them.
    The best thing is that much of the money from the customs go to the public transport. ^^

18. pandahorde

pandahorde Level IV

guys .we have news around here..
    the hottest temperature ever recorded in our country.. philippines ,luzon
    38+ degrees. very hot.. the dry grasses has been burn out.

19. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

:eek:

Jesus Australia has been on the front of our newspapers because of drought

20. onprogus

onprogus Level IV

Thats cool, if they were more available in England then I would get one, and I mean an alternative fuel car not a hybrid.
    Its just a shame they have a lousy stereotype :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.