God: Is he real?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by oxlilshorti, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oxlilshorti

oxlilshorti Level I

I personally do not believe so... Many things have happened in my life that have ruined my faith so therefore I no longer believe...

But what's your opinion? Do you or do you not believe? Why?

2. Raider

Raider Level II

Its a tough question. Although I personally WANT to believe, I see so many flaws in so many aspects of it. Therefore im kind of on the fence.

3. Freja

Freja Level IV

4. Virre

Virre Level IV

My personal view on this topic is that we really can't know for sure if God or Gods exist. It would be out of our comprehension to know God's existance. But I still find the topic intruiging, since even if it would not be able to prove or disprove God, it might still lead to understandings of both sides point of view.

So let's start by clarifying your question before we go any further into the discussion. Are you talking about an omnipotent God (as the Christian God) or Gods in general (as in polytheistic religions such as Hinduism)?

5. Valaris

Valaris Level I

quite frankly, no.

And in my opinion, someone must have just written the bible while they were hallucinating, because if Jesus WAS real, wheres the proof?

6. Will

Will Level IV

Good things happen to bad people; bad things happen to good people.

Apparently God answers all prayers, 'but sometimes the answer is no'.. yet even still, we're posed to question, if there is an all powerful, all knowing God, why terrorists and serial killers and others of the like are able to exist and plague the Earth.

[​IMG]

Let me answer this with a Pope-quote:

There's no doubting that Jesus was a historical figure (well, there is - but for the purposes of this debate, let's assume the former), but the question is his power: was he the true Son of God with miracle-creating powers, or was he just a man? The portion of the Earth with logic believe the latter, btw.

Freja likes this.
  7. joeharrymoma

joeharrymoma Newbie

That is a very good question, but I think its based on the person, if you are very religious, no doubt you'll believe in God, if you're not-so-religious, maybe you won't. It also depends on what religion you are, maybe the religion you practice doesn't have a god. This is probably one of the best questions I've seen/heard.

8. PrincessLuna

PrincessLuna Level III

Quite obviously *headsdesk* we already know that, the point of the question is to find out if /you/ believe or not.

I believe in God. Just not the way that most of you do...
    I do not think that there is one God, and this has been the God for all time and shall be for all eternity. I think of it more as a job, and all the dead people (I don't believe in heaven and hell, just an afterlife) have a chance of becoming God. I think of God more as President of the Universe. :p
    How's that for strange? :lol:

9. toesocks

toesocks Level I

God created us with sin.
    He impregnated Mary to produce a sinless man.
    This sinless man died for the very sins that "God" created us with.

It's about as logical as believing the bible's real:
    [​IMG]

10. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

It is impossible to tell. I tend to revert to the question of how the universe was created. If it was the big bang theory, where did the giant rocks come from. If it was god, what created god? there is no logical answer

11. carlie

carlie Level I

I am not a religious person, but I do believe there is some greater being out there.

12. toesocks

toesocks Level I

that's the problem, people assume the big bang theory is meant to explain where these elements first came from, it's only a theory of how this universe was formed, not what was there before the universe got created. These two elements could have been there for multiple billions of years for all we know, and because it's quite obvious we'll never know there's hardly any theories on it ;)

13. oxlilshorti

oxlilshorti Level I

Haha! Best image I've seen on that subject by far! and its so true! that entire theory or religion contredicts itself!

14. Schlingman

Schlingman Level I

I believe, God is a Girl :D

15. NeoLisa

NeoLisa Level I

Love this :) So true

I do want there to be someone who looks over us, and for there to be a Heaven and whatever else. Of course I do. But there's no evidence, and it makes more sense (and there is evidence pointing towards the fact) that there is no God in my eyes.
    If God was really there, why wouldn't he make his presence known. If there is really a God, why are there terrorist, and criminals? Take evolution too for instance, it all ties in with the fact we evolved and this is more based on actual evidence than theology... Rock faces - formed by the elements.

I require all the evidence I guess before I believe anything like that... Kinda sad really

16. Arkley

Arkley Level III

This discussion has been had so many times already...I've been here less than a year and I've seen it two or three times before this.

On topic: It's ignorant to think there's definitely a God and Heaven out there. It is just as ignorant, however, to think that there definitely isn't. Atheists are just as short sighted as religious people, although perhaps a little less insane. Frankly, we don't know, and the living world may never know. You can say you believe there is or you can say you don't think so, and you can explain why, but the entire debate is utterly pointless because while there is a tremendous amount of evidence to disprove God (or more accurately, to disprove the Bible), it will never be sufficient and even if humanity did discover irrefutable proof of the Bible's inaccuracies (as has been done a few times already) they would simply be rejected by the church with the usual "God made it that way to test your faith" or "God works in mysterious ways" cop-outs.

17. Meowmeow_

Meowmeow_ Level I

Well, I guess if you do believe in God, you'll be a bit happier in life because you won't be as afraid of death, even if he might not exist in the end.

18. tomatee

tomatee Level I

I believe that a bigger force exists, but not that its name is God: /I believe that an invention of the Average Age was everything ^^

19. Arkley

Arkley Level III

Point a gun at a Christian and let me know if he's any less afraid than an Atheist.

20. riverrshadow

riverrshadow Level I

I'm an agnostic neopagan.. I'm acknowledging that there are things in the world we don't understand, and I believe in spirits and the possibility of divive beings, I just do not follow any scriptures or 'organised' ways of worship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.