God vs. Darwin

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BobaFett, Nov 29, 2006.

?

God vs. Darwin

1. God

27 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Darwin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No Answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFett

BobaFett Administrator
    Staff Member

Ah, the ever lasting question...

Do you believe in God(s) or evolution? Why?

Keep it clean folks. This is after all, the debate board.

:)

Note: If you can't give a reasonable reason for what you believe and why, don't bother posting or voting. It's a debate board, so let's hear what you have to say. Also, there will be no flaming of others for their beliefs or opinions!

2. yeng

yeng Level III

its same as the big bang theory and god..

its been debated before..

3. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

I voted Darwin because I can't believe there's someone or something that looks down on us and interferes with everything we do.

4. theaverageidiot

theaverageidiot Level I

I voted for God! I don't give a fack what you say, evolution just has too many holes. I REPEAT: I don't give a fack what you say.

5. Michelle

Michelle Level II

I've always believed in God & not evolution. The theory of evolution just has too many unexplainable things that science can only answer with supernatural explanations. Though I do believe religion will continue to be pushed out of everything until it's against the law to be religious. This world will only continue to get worse. Those who push God aside or refuse to believe in him will be punished. If they think it's bad now, they'll know the meaning of Hell on earth sooner or later.

6. chrisw2525

chrisw2525 Level IV

you can say the same thing about God, theres too many holes in him/her...someone thats all powerful creates something that is destorying itself, God creates a world and just watches it destroy itself. evolution makes more sense, everything evolved from single celled organisms, different things evolve to their surroundings...like people that live in the north have a stronger tollerance for the cold and they're born that way, people in the desert have a stronger tollerance for the heat and they're born that way..

7. Michelle

Michelle Level II

There are no holes in the belief of God. If you've read the Bible, you'll understand why He lets us do what we want. It's something called free will. If He stepped in everytime someone was going to do something, that wouldn't be free will. Besides, science only has supernatural explanations for things it can't explain. Scientists reject supernatural explanations. See the big problem? The debate will never end and the majority will always believe in evolution. Even the Bible proclaims people will turn away from religion.

8. X Joe Kickass X

X Joe Kickass X Level IV

in my opinion,
    Michelle is absolutly right
    I belive in God no matter what

9. Summertime_Blues

Summertime_Blues Level III

Well why can't you believe in both? It's just one of those subjects where there's no definite answer. I think that some supernatural entity created us, but I don't believe in that Adam and Eve story. Maybe he created the single cells organisms and made them so they constantly evolve and adapt. I don't know because if you believe in evolution how can there just be darkness and stuff that had to come from somewhere. And if you believe in God, where did he come from? It's like the chicken and the egg. Mind boggling.

10. bititid0

bititid0 Level III

darwin and religion dont contradict unless you interpret the bible literally

11. goldrush

goldrush Level II

something I wrote on myspace, it deals with the existence of God rather than a direct evolution/creation debate but I'll be ahppy to get into that:

What do you believe? While some aspects of this question can apply to almost anything at this time I'm actually talking about God. I won't espouse any believe in particular but I will point out a few things that one would think would happen. (For the sake of this discussion God will be referred to in the masculine tense.)

First: If there is a God, He would either want to be known by us or He wouldn't.

If He didn't want to be known by us there is no way we would ever find Him, period.

If He wanted to be found by us there are several options.

A: He left a written record, either written by Himself or by man under his direct supervision.

If God did leave a written record it would be acurate. Nothing said in that record would go against what we know for facts. (I.E. we know that the Earth is not being held up by Atlas). There may also be some refernces to things that might not be known to man in the time period the book would have been written but it wouldn't contradict what is known (unless what is known is itself falacious) by physics or Earth sciences now.

Places and events listed in the text could be located and proven to exist to some degree. There wouldn't be any strange discrepancies (I.E. like entire civilizations lacking all proof of thier ever having existed.) Now because of time and events not all things written down will be able to be found. However a strong majority will have evidence of its existence. If several different religeous books draw from the same source backtracking will be needed. Go back to the earliest text and test it by this standard, if it works you can test later texts which are added to it and see if they fit the same standard. If they do not you can discredit them.

B: He left no written record at all.

Second: If there is a God and He did create everything what is in His written record will not disagree with what the historic record of the Earth shows. (I.E. Usher's chrononlogy states that universal creation took place sometime about 6000 years ago. No where in the Bible does anything like that ever come out.) So when one is looking at a religeous text remember that what other people say about might not be correct.

If He did leave a written record he would have the ability to ensure it remains intact so none of the basic tennants of that revelation would be lost. (I.E the Bhagavad Gita has had over 25% contextual degradation from the original manuscripts to the current form it exist in.)

Almost every religeous text I've read has some value to it, be it moral, philosophical, mythological and so on. But most of the religeous texts I've read do not hold up to any standard where I would believe they are written by or for God (by His direct supervision).

Think about it.

George

12. Jane

Jane Level IV

I believe in God because I grew up as a Christian and there is just too much evidence about God it is hard to deny. For example, there is the church, the bible, priests, nuns, etc. They would not all exist unless people actully believed in God.

13. qwerty

qwerty Newbie

I voted Darwin. I see lots of evidence to support Darwin's theory compared to the little I see about God.

14. Pankirk

Pankirk Level III

I think that theres no possible way humans "evolved" from single celled organisms because a bunch of stars exploded and magically the earth was born 0_o. Its just impossible. Plus how do you think egyptians created pyramids?

15. Jane

Jane Level IV

*BOOM* Earth was created.
    I agree, I'd rather believe God create Earth rather than it appear by itself out of nowhere o_O

16. Pankirk

Pankirk Level III

Yeah, and i hate it when your trying to sleep so you think about stuff... and your like thinking what was before god and it freaks me out. Lol and your like what color was everything before god? I get scared XD

17. gitanil

gitanil Level II

I definitely voted Darwin. Many of the loopholes in the theory has been filled by scientific experimentation and resoning, while noone can really prove that god even exists.

18. jeanerificus

jeanerificus Newbie

Depends on what context the question is being asked. If it's if that either God of Evolution created just humans, or if either God or Evolution created everything(animals, space, the universe).

I don't believe or disbelieve that either started everything. I don't believe there even was a beginning to everything.

It's so hard to think that there was no beginning because us humans are so bound by measurements. We think everything should start and end because that's how we work, and how things around us works.

Think of it like the set of all integers. What's the lowest number? -100? -1000? -100 000 000? It's impossible, because it's infinite. There is no beginning to numbers, nor is there an end. Numbers just are. That's what I think the universe is like.[/i]

As for the creation of humans, we obviously weren't like the way we are now way back when. We would have become extinct looong ago if that were the case (we are just animals, after all, and without all our clothes and weapons, we have no natural defenses against other animals and weather). Maybe back in the time of dinosaurs we ran faster, or had better claws. Evolution had to have some part in shaping us to what we are now.

How the very first "humans" were created, is anyones guess. Be it through evolution of a single-cell organism, or by divine creation.

19. bititid0

bititid0 Level III

there were no hominids or anything resembling homo erectus in prehistoric times.

20. Jane

Jane Level IV

I once read a fictional comedy book on Darwin, I mostly laughed at it all because most of it didn't make much sense. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.