Greatest Athletes of all time?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by PrinceErik, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

So everyone post who you think the 5 greatest athletes of all time are. Not your favorite, but the greatest athletes based on what they have done in their respective sport.

So, I will start off with:
    1. Muhammad Ali- Absolutely dominated boxing and just made opponents look silly
    2. Wayne Gretzky- Another guy who is far above anyone else to ever play his sport. He was magic on skates.
    3. Lance Armstrong- I probably should have him #1, but I don't. Competing in probably the most physically demanding sport and he comes back from cancer and wins what is equivalent to cycling's championship 7 straight time. That dude's a beast.
    4. Jim Thorpe- Going back further on this one, but he was another guy that could just do it all.
    5. Tiger Woods- No better golfer ever. No arguing this. He is the greatest by a ton. His personal life is another story lol

2. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

The only reason I am proud of the Edmonton Oilers; because Gretzky played for us once upon a time and won the cup for a few years. The last time we were one game away and we screwed it up, now we're not even in the Playoffs, all we get is a draft pick which isn't something to be proud of since we came in last this year. Wonder if Gretzky feels sad that the team he once brought up sucks so badly now =P

I think I mentioned before, But I think Luongo is amazing since he played for the Canadian Olympics team! Other than that I can't think of anyone else. I don't intensely follow sports.

3. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Lebron James
    3. Derek Jeter
    4. Henry Kissinger
    5. Craig Anderson

4. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

You only have one that you could make an argument for an that is Michael "overrated" Jordan. And a weak argument at that. Maybe the only 5 athletes you knew?

5. Ice Nine

Ice Nine Level IV

You list is obviously skewed towards individual sports

I'm surprised that you have Wayne Gretzky but would not agree with putting Michael Jordan on the list.

I'm also surprised that Roger Federer didn't make the cut...extremely surprised, actually

6. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

Lol my list shouldnt be skewed. My favorite sports are baseball and football lol. Neither of those and Gretzky is "the great one" Jordan had a good team around him and was a ballhog. And Federer would have been close, but he was below woods in dominating their individual sport

7. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

One of them isn't even an athlete. Henry Kissinger is the 56th Secretary of State....stupid >.>

8. Ice Nine

Ice Nine Level IV

1. Tim Tebow
    2-5. Who cares, you aren't Tim Tebow

9. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

Tim Tebow has to be a joke, great athlete, great kid, that is where it stops. I just hope its a joke

10. Ice Nine

Ice Nine Level IV

Just you wait, 25th was a steal

11. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

Lol I will. I am a hardcore broncos fan, but oh dear lord does he need a lot of work. Needs to keep up his new release, improve footwork in the pocket, and learn to make NFL throws. It is a longshot at best

12. Ice Nine

Ice Nine Level IV

lol, much better pick than Knowshon Moreno, that's for sure

13. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

I don't think so, Moreno put up some pretty good stats for a rookie, especially when they had very little deep passing game

14. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Ha, NFL throws...that is a little "general", ya think?

1. If you take two synced versions of his footwork before a throw, one with him now and the others with Manning/Brady and with the old Tim Tebow, his footwork is not the main issue. Actually, if you look at it, it is absolutely NOT something the coaches need him to be working on now.

2. Release is much faster. His release is fine if he throws like that.

3. When you were talking about the "pocket", he needs to develop a "presence", but also he needs to adjust to snapping under center. The spread offense allows him to operate motion and change plays in a shotgun or pistol formation.

4. Tebow shares his main problem with Sam Bradford and a lot of the quarterbacks out of college. They need to learn to read NFL defenses -- if they have to rely on the coaches, they'll be putting their back on the defense while they look for the signal. Linebackers are going to confuse and kill the QBs because they'll (the defense will) be able to move and call audibles without notice. You see in college so much that the only way that the QBs knew they had a blitz coming was from the sidelines to slide the line's protection.

5. Oh and you know Tom Brady, I hope? My favorite quarterback. Round: 6 | Pick: 199 Just take a look at his 40-time :)...
    He wasn't that impressive coming out of college, but guess who was his QB coach? JOSH MCDANIELS!

6. Tebow's intangibles are found only once in a lifetime. You can change one's tangibles, but you can train someone to be more like Tim Tebow. Just give some faith...all people are asking.

Sorry for the nerdy football/basketball replies that I have, I actually study tape and everything for the sports.

Back to the topic:
    1. LeBron James ([strike]Michael Jordan[/strike])
    2. Muhammad Ali
    3. Tiger Woods - lol @ life though
    4. Peyton Manning
    5. Michael Phelps - young but amazing

15. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

Well, we will start with the Tom Brady, yeah, I am a firm believer that Tom Brady although he is good, only became a great as a product of great surroundings and bill belicheat!
    And as much as his footwork isn't a problem, it is because he isnt going to be playing against college defensive players or defenses, so he needs to work on his footwork moving around in the pocket to give himself more time to throw. And the biggest thing is his release. His release is fine now, but that is with time to think. Who knows when he is put in a game situation if his old muscle memory will come back since he won't be able to think.

16. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

Oh, I agree that Michael Phelps is a super awesome athlete. What about girls? Those tennis sisters are pretty fierce.

17. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

You talked about girls then bring up the williams sisters lol. Those are pretty much dudes lol

18. Ice Nine

Ice Nine Level IV

LOL

But seriously, there really aren't any good female candidates

19. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

Not really, the closest would probably be from womens basketball, but you cant even count that because compared to men they are just sooo bad.

20. Ice Nine

Ice Nine Level IV

I disagree Erik, I think it would be easier to make cases for women like the Williams', Mia Hamm, etc

There aren't really female basketball players that really dominate and have face recognition like these women do

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.