[Guide] How to make a great guild

Discussion in 'Neopets Guides' started by MickaelH, Jul 17, 2008.

1. MickaelH

MickaelH Level I

Guide from MickaelH for neofriends.net
    How to make a great guild

Hi everybody ! Today I decided to make a guide about a subject that I know : guild ! So there it is. Here you'll learn basic things to make you're guild better, to make it more interesting. This guide is not necesseraly for "rich guild" where you can win paint brush every day etc. xD So... it starts here !

Basic Rules for your guilde
    • - use SMS only on the board of your guild
      - don't copy other guilds
      - if you have a lot of pages, use a mini-site (example : http://www.freewebs.com/suiteneoclub/minisite/index.htm please do not copy)
      - if you only have some pages, use your petpages
      - always give a dailies link to your members

Step #1 :: Create the guild
    If you don't know how to create a guild : shops -> guild headquarters -> create a guild
    So, to create you're guild you need :
    • - an original concept
      - a good name
    When you got your concept, make your hierarchy. Use your theme to make an original hierarchy. Then, find the best name for you're guild, something short but clear.

Step #2 :: Get a layout
    Now you need a layout. Don't make your own layout if you aren't much good in graphics. There's a lot of websites where you can find layouts. You can also ask someone who's good to make your layout. Also, you can go on guilds board and ask for comment for your layout ; if it's great or not. If people don't like it, just change it, don't argue. Also, the best choice is a full page layout. It's harder to make (not a lot harder) but it's really more beautiful.
    On the layout, you need space for :
    • -news
      -welcome message
      -mini-site
      -guild's bank

Step #3 :: Make your activities/contests/goodies pages
    Here is a kind of freestyle step. Depending on your theme, your activities will change. Exemple : if you're guild is like a virtual town, you can have a adoption center, a school, an attraction parc, a battledome, etc. Find funny activities for the members of you're guild. Also, don't make cheap contests, You're contests must be interesting. Don't worry, members from a great guild always make donations so you'll have money for prizes.

Be careful, your guild don't need to have only exclusive activities. There are some activities that are basic but every like these. Exemples :
    • - 1NP auction
      - Exclusive UB trades
      - Member of the month
      - Lenny conundrums
      - Lotery
      - Etc.

Step #4 :: Publicity
    Only one tip : don't make too much topics ! You can create only one topic and link it on you're guild so your members will go on it and they will make some "up" or "bump". If you're making too much topics, people will think you're a spammer and they won't join you're guild for sure. Also, check the topics like "i want a guild" ou "comment my guild an i comment yours".

Bank and donation shop
    Bank : You may create a side account to seperate your NPs from the NPs or you're guild.
    Donation shop : You MUST have a donation shop. Create it on your side account if you want to use your own shop.

That's it =D Some tips and the end !

Charlie and Zer0 like this.
  2. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Good beginners guide. You might want to include specific examples for things like activities (1 NP auctions, lenny conundrums, etc).
    Also mad props for using proper English i.e. "Today I decided to make a guide about the subject in which I'm good"

3. MickaelH

MickaelH Level I

I'll try to use propre English but you understand that it wont be perfect because I'm French =P

4. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

That's ok, you're better at typing English than most English speaking people on the internet.

5. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

LEIK ME I CAN TYPE ENGRISH VELLY WELL. I CAN SPEEL

=]

Really, its a very nice guide. Even though I'm done with Neopets, I'm sure this will sure come in handy for people looking to make there own guilds.

+rep....

PS. Wow I'm worth 4 rep now ^.^

6. MickaelH

MickaelH Level I

Thank you guys :D

I added some concrete exemples for typical (but interesting =P) activities !

7. Rikimaru

Rikimaru Newbie

Hey, cousin =)

Nice guide, I'll probably make a guild with that. Thanks ! :)

I should make more NPS though, I only have like 10k since it's a new account xD

8. Cacklenub

Cacklenub Level IV

Donation Shops are against the rules(tnt can get picky sometimes:() and most don't like donating, lol. Some leaders even use their own money for prizes, but that's stupid and pointless imo. But other than that it was a nice guide. :)

9. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Really? From the ToS:

10. MickaelH

MickaelH Level I

Ya donation shop aren't banned. Also, I heard once that activities like quest, or NPs contest, or lotery, aren't accepted by TNT, but I do think it's false, because I never saw a guild iced, even if there's a LOT that have donation shops, quests, NPs contest, lotery, etc. (well, I observed that the guilds from the french community are really different from the english ones).

Edit : I added an exemple of a nice mini-site, which I made (well there are some pages made by my friends, the "Carte aux trésors" and the "Concours de blagues" sorry, it's in french, and it's a new guild so there's not a lot of activities so maybe it's not the perfect example but... I don't know xD - http://www.freewebs.com/suiteneoclub/minisite/index.htm )

11. Cacklenub

Cacklenub Level IV

Oh, never mind, prizes and activities are though...so really no point of a shop unless you're keeping the money for yourself....only things I can think of are 1Np auctions and those could be considered contests too, especially if you have to donate prior to being a nf.

12. MickaelH

MickaelH Level I

Ya it's true... But I never saw an iced guild so... xD

13. lazypando

lazypando Level IV

I have. Neopets Gold Members was iced I forgot when but it was for having too many guild shops. Only one is allowed I think.

14. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

everyone in the entire guild? =x

15. Melodare

Melodare Newbie

In the Step#4 part, people should also check out topics titled "guildless" or something that looks like that.

Good guide. ^^

16. lazypando

lazypando Level IV

nah just the guide itself
    the members are fine

17. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Mmm yeah. Years ago there was a giant guild called Soup Faerie Helpers. Like 10k members. I was a part of that. Got deleted (along with a bunch of other prominent guilds) for having contests and giveaways.

Which is total crap, because it had been fine for like a year until some dumb as shit user decided to report.

18. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

Hmm I like your guide alot:)
    But honestly..the guild community is really biased these days. It's not what it used to be anymore.
    The guild competitions almost ALWAYS comes from the graphics/design part of it.
    As to years ago, members would actually scatter around, instead of all joining one guild so they have like 300 members or something.
    A great example is the guild "AINE" that was around for awhile, run by some 14 year old?
    Then she closed it because of drama or whatever.
    I'm not flaming the guild. I just give up these days lol.

19. Freja

Freja Level IV

good guide =3
    I don't agree on the part where you say that you can just use a premade.I never want to join a guild with a premade layout D: maybe people should just make a guild with another one who is good at graphics? or check the boards for someone to make a custom (like you said). But premades that everyone can grab isn't very interesting.

20. MickaelH

MickaelH Level I

Good idea, I'll add it ^^

Anyway, for premade layouts, sometime they're great, but it's true, guilds with premade layouts aren't much more interesting...

It's exactly what I'm thinking >< But the guild part of neopets is still the thing I like the most on the website lol