1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you do a research?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by WildSnorlax, May 7, 2010.

1. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

Okay so I have to do a research assignment for english due tuesday and it has to be an issue that affects young adults today. I was going to do an issue on the lack of education funding and just motivation in general, BUT I've never intenselyt researched on anything before and have no idea how. Clearly I don't have like a month to do it.

The issue is, I don't know how to find reliable sources. Most of the stuff I found are people stating their opinion and quoting random places and it's not reliable...

I'm totally stumped. I'm doing this with a partner as well and the thing is I can't just do what I like. Should I pick a new issue?

2. creeping_death

creeping_death Level I

Hmm.. how long does the paper have to be and what level of english class are you in?
    A basic outline could be

Define lack of education funding and motivation
    Give examples of this happening currently
    possible solutions to fixing this problem today

as far as the actual research.. try using "site:.edu" and "site:.gov" when searching the internet. You could always goto a library as well

3. Ice Nine

Ice Nine Level IV

Just thought I'd throw this out there, but your research topic sounds like one that wouldn't have a whole lot of easy to find documentation.

You can probably scrounge around and find state-by-state funding for schools and whatnot...there is probably federal funding too, not sure, and it would likely all be tied to taxes and whatnot.

Lack of motivation is likely not to be scientifically documented ANYWHERE and will all just be opinion. I'm not even sure you can make a claim that there is a lack of educational motivation. That actually sounds very incorrect to me.