How do you edit Greasemonkey scripts?

Discussion in 'Neopets Guides' started by imjustjesus, Oct 14, 2010.

1. imjustjesus

imjustjesus Level II

I really want to edit some greasemonkey scripts but I already messed one up so I was hoping I could get some help? If someone provides all the information I need they will get rep! :)

2. Richy

Richy Level IV

Greasemonkey uses javascript as a language - you can find a js tutorial at http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp
    My favorite way to edit them is to go into 'Edit Script' (which I imagine you already did if you messed it up), then copy it all, and paste it in a notepad document. You can then edit the script from there and test it by saving the script under a different name. Once you get everything how you like, you can save the changes on your old script!

By the way, if the script looks really messy in notepad, it sometimes helps to double click the top bar (making it full screen), this makes it organized for me often

3. imjustjesus

imjustjesus Level II

Thanks for the link! Ya what I did was with the Quicklinks sidebar with like...20 links to some dailys. I clicked edit scritp and it asked me what I want to edit in, so I clicked notepad. Then took out some links I didnt want and re-arranged some others, then saved it. But when I went back to neo the whole sidebar was gone.....What did I do wrong?

4. Richy

Richy Level IV

It's hard to say without looking at the actual script - do you mind pasting here (or PMing me) what you deleted and the rest of the script as context?

However, to truly edit it and then re-test it without deleting the original script, you do something else. You edit the original one (so you're in notepad), copy all the text, and paste into a new notepad window, so it's not at all associated with the GreaseMonkey until you load the new script into Greasemonkey. Does this make sense?

5. imjustjesus

imjustjesus Level II

Ugh now when I went back to the script edit thing in notepad it was all the same except for the links. Some of the original links that I cut out were there and some of the ones that I kept wernt there! Should I just un-install and re-install the script and try to edit again they way you told me?

6. Richy

Richy Level IV

I'd do it the way I told you ^^ It's worked for me in the past
    If you need any help along the way, I'll try my best to keep checking on here

imjustjesus likes this.
  7. imjustjesus

imjustjesus Level II

Ok :) Thanks so much! +rep to youuuuuuuuu!

8. darkangelboy

darkangelboy Level I

I used to use greasemonkey, then I stopped playing neopets.
    I should use it again though..