How much is a spouse entitled to when settling a divorce?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Angelika, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

Do you think it's okay for the breadwinner to have to give his/her spouse half of everything acquired during the marriage?

I was reading an article about Tiger Wood's possible $500 million settlement, and I couldn't help but lol. I just don't see how that's okay. What did she do? Have a couple kids? Well they should have trust funds set up for them, but there's no reason she should walk away with that. She should get nothing for not realizing her husband's a hobag (jk, but really wth).

2. Robert

Robert Level II

I think that should be taken on a case by case basis really. In the tiger woods case, she should not have gotten anything. she works and makes a goodly sum on her own. But when you look at the lower class family where one works to support the family and the other one has to tend to the kids because they cannot afford daycare even if that other spouse worked. Then the housemate would deserve something if the worker cheated on them, imho.

3. Freja

Freja Level IV

I think it depends on your prenuptial agreement (or whatever you call it). But I think it's perfectly fair, he was just a jackass.
    Caroline Flemming from Denmark just walked away with billions from a divorce XD lol , kinda awesome.

4. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

No, the breadwinner, whether a man or woman, shouldnt have to pay anything more than child support, and reasonable child support at that. The problem is the breadwinner is giving half of his/her stuff, not half of their stuff as a couple

5. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

Isn't that for something that has both party's name under it? I could be wrong. But recently, my boyfriend's brother suffered the same thing. His brother dated his soon to be "ex-wife" for 10 years until they got married, which was in August of 2007. However, after a year of their marriage she says she wants a divorce and claims that she "doesn't love him anymore" and NO ONE ever knew she felt that way until she dropped the bomb. The thing is, my boyfriend's brother put his wife's name under everything, the Lexus, the condo, even the house they were suppose to move in to. It was funny because she made him buy the house FOR HER and a week before they were suppose to move in she said she wanted a divorce. Now, she wants nothing except the condo for herself because if she took the house she'd lose money for selling it, and she felt that if she gets to keep the condo, he can have the car >_> I think he is also splitting half his money with her too.

I mean it's ridiculous...my boyfriend and I was suppose to move in that condo but that's not the reason why everyone is pissed at her. She works as a technical support for a company called Telus {major itnernet/phone provider in Canada} and my bf's brother is an engineer. It's jsut not fair that he has to split; she barely makes anything, she didn't even wanna have kids with him, and now she's guna get a huge chunk of money over it.

6. Sparratic

Sparratic Level III

I've taken a law class as a pre-req nothing too detailed but generally the court will take into consideration the future earning power of the parties and the contribution of each party during the marriage. The types of property that will be considered are the real estate, employment and retirement benefits, savings and investment accounts, household furnishings, automobiles, and any other assets acquired during the marriage

7. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

Yes if someone is intelligent enough to marry and then get rich after XD

8. Junior

Junior Administrator
    Staff Member

I come from a land down under! (Maaaate!)
    You're not thinking of divorcing me are you? I can change!!!!

Pre-Nups are our friends!!

However, I've got nothing to lose anyway... However, I may be walking into a few million in a couple of years :D Got to love property.

9. bunny

bunny Newbie

Woah Angie, you have a boyfriend AND a hubby. Way to go, my friend.

Anyway, I honestly think there should be some sort of limit on how much these spouses walk away with when there's a clear breadwinner in a marriage. I'm not sure how it works, but I don't think he should have to pay that much. Why on EARTH wouldn't he get a pre-nup??

10. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

I know why he wouldnt get a pre-nup! a guy feels like if he asks for a pre-nup he is either saying he doesn't think their relationship will last, or that he doesn't trust her. That usually isn't the case, but that is why guys don't do it lol.

11. Junior

Junior Administrator
    Staff Member

I come from a land down under! (Maaaate!)
    Too true! And I'm sure a girl would take it that way to. They can be evil! >:)

Out of all the girls here, whats your thoughts on that?

(And for those girls that are the main income maker...)

12. bunny

bunny Newbie

I would have no problem signing a pre-nup if a guy suggested it. Then again, I'm planning on having a pre-nup even if we both make $2 an hour. Who knows what could happen?

13. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

yeah, everyone should sign a pre-nup just to be safe, I agree. I know for sure I will have one. If a girl gets mad at me for not wanting to risk my money, then eh, not my fault lol. I am not gonna eb dumb.

14. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

I'm all for pre-nups as well! I'm not even going to get married though. Annnnd I'm not going to live with someone for a long period of time because then we'd be common law, and that's just as bad.

15. Pegaley

Pegaley Level I

I think everyone should just get pre-nups, although if someone buys their partner something while they're married i think they should still get to keep it.

16. jadester

jadester Level I

They should get half, I mean just because they may not have made as much cash they where still there. Wifes stay at home and care for the children the home and do everything, while the guy works. Her job is just as important as his, even more so. So if they go into it together, they should come out of it with half.

17. Harlow

Harlow Level I

I think it depends on how long they were married, the age of them both, if they have any kids.

I hate blatant golddiggers D:

18. Jen

Jen Newbie

Honestly, I don't think that she should receive half of everything he worked so hard to gain. However, she did put up with him for a heck of a lot longer then most wives do, especially if she did happen to know of any of his infidelities (I'm not saying that she did).

She also did have his two children.

I think that the amount of money that a spouse should receives should be on a case-to-case basis.

I think that Woods should forever be responsible for trust funds, college funds, medical care costs, and child support of the children. Perhaps, considering his wealth, she should receive, maybe, 10 million. She could easily live modestly on that and she could work any job she wants, regardless of it's pay.

I believe that she is going to school right now, or it is rumored that she is. This would pay for her education and living expenses of her and her children.

Honestly, it is easy to see that she is not only divorcing him because of his infidelities, but because she wants the money while she can get it.

19. jadester

jadester Level I

Honestly, it is easy to see that she is not only divorcing him because of his infidelities, but because she wants the money while she can get it.

-----

If the ass cheated on me and not just once but repeatedly I would take the jerk for every cent I could get lol

20. Jen

Jen Newbie

And I understand that point of view, and, honestly, if I was in Elin's position, I would do the same, but 500M is just plain ridiculous. XD