1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Human rights: A excuse for bail or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by WildSnorlax, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

This topic dawned on me when watching the news today, and hearing the news warn about a dangerous offender who targets young girls and rapes them, getting released in MY city. To be honest, I am really scared. I rely on public transportation every day, I see lots of people every day, and crimes are getting worse. They don't JUST happen during the night anymore. I have personally been attacked, and although I didn't come in harm at all {and was thankful} I can't help but to get especially flinchy at small things. I'm like a jumpy deer now.

To me, I think killing people, and raping people, and stuff like that are some what unforgivable. One of my friends sort of argues that by committing a crime, they are sort of saying they are giving up their rights basically, by doing such nasty things. Sometimes it makes me feel unsafe to know people like that serve their time in jail, gets let out, and our police don't do anything more than that to prevent them from committing the same crime. What is a 20 year ban from parks going to do? This 48 year old man who got let out will eventually get horny, he will eventually give in to sexual urges. What then?

Honestly, human rights is great, don't get me wrong. Only to an EXTENT. But the thing is...some people use human rights as an excuse for everything: if a past offender {dangerous ones} gets monitored a little too heavily, people will argue that their human rights are being violated because they are limited the freedom to do whatever they want.

I dunno..it concerns me because it seems that our society lies to us about a LOT of things because we don't know what is going on. I think it's just...an unjust idea to say because of human rights we can't do this and that to people who are...bad :S

I'm scared. But no matter where I go, there will be people like this. For vulnerable people who have been a victim {and for many more in the future}, I honestly don't think they have unfortunate things happen to them because they are simply being careless.

I'm a girl who stands 4"11, and isn't strong at all. How do you think I feel about people who does bad things?

2. Junior

Junior Administrator
    Staff Member

I come from a land down under! (Maaaate!)
    "and our police don't do anything more than that to prevent them from committing the same crime."

Whoah whaoh whoah! Back up a little there please...

Police have done their job.. Police caught them and put them away. It's the justice systems that fail the world.. The Justice system are the ones letting them out. Police don't make the rules, they just enforce them.

And from my studies, I'm fairly sure that the police would be aware the person is getting released.. and will pay close attention to their actions...

There's a difference between a mistake and a crime... A crime is a thought out process or actions without any thought as to the consequences... Preying on young women or men to "get off" is not a mistake. So they don't deserve any rights at all.. No one in the world is stupid enough to not realise they have a problem if they're looking at people that age and thinking "Oh nice.. I want that". It is then their responsibility to take action and seek help for why those thoughts are running through their head...

If they don't, and they give in to their "urges" then they have only themself to blame.

They've fucked someone elses life up... so they can get fucked and suffer because no matter what the jails or being monitored does to their life... the person who is the victim's life is a lot worse.. and so is their families...

They deserve to be very closely monitored... Or not let out at all. But.. like I said earlier.. the justice system fails.

3. Palmer

Palmer Newbie

Are you suggesting that someone who in the country that I live in (United States of America), that is INNOCENT until proven guilty, should have to sit in jail until their court date because of speculation? Your fucking nuts. I was arrested a couple weeks ago for pos. of marijuana, and while in their, a girl said I had sex with her over the summer (10 months ago), that was enough to get charged with sexual assult with a child (I am 17). If what your saying were to be in effect, I would be in jail right now because of this girl's crazy accusation, and would not be getting out until my second trial.
    Think about other peoples side of the story before you post your views.

4. Junior

Junior Administrator
    Staff Member

I come from a land down under! (Maaaate!)
    Firstly, this is a debate topic. I can post my opinion if I want... Just like you can post yours. Even if no one else agrees :p The wonders of debate...

Secondly, I'm talking about convicted psycho's that deserve to rot, not allegations. You are innocent until proven guilty, and no ones said anything different.

Thirdly [removed]

5. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

Hey.... I feel for you and, for what it's worth, I agree. I grew up in a very abusive household in a very abusive town in a lousy state. I know evil people. I spent half of my childhood wondering why my parents were the way they were. I only survived because I gave up on that question. Why didn't matter - that was their problem. The only thing that really mattered was my own survival. And I'm actually going somewhere with this, trust me ;)

I never understood why the why matters in murder/rape cases. Childhood/insanity/what-have-you is irrelevant. All that matters is that they're a murderer. And now this ties into what you said -- people of these tendencies -- child abuse, murder, rape - they aren't like you and I. Just like a gay man might say he was a woman accidentally born as a man, think of these criminals as rabid dogs accidentally born as humans. They don't wake up or go to bed thinking the same things you and I think. When they look at and talk to other people, what's going through their heads is a million miles from what's going through ours. They live in their heads, thinking sick fantasies, and looking for ways to live them out. They don't feel the common bond to the rest of humanity and don't care either. A rapist doesn't consider the value of his victim's thoughts, feelings, or humanity because they are as good as alien to him. Is there rehabilitation for such a person? No. And before anyone accuses me of casually flinging judgements around, understand that I walked the line myself. I understand very deeply why people who grow up like I did become criminals. I have a genius-level IQ, a will of iron, and a good heart, and it still took me the better part of 20-some years to defeat my past and master myself. Maybe having a low or even average IQ or lacking in other areas sets others at a disadvantage in an already immensely difficult situation - but everyone has a choice. You reach an age when what happened to you as a child doesn't matter any longer because the future is yours, and you choose to either be a slave to your progeniture and upbringing or go in the opposite direction and beat the legacy and everyone involved in it.

Something in the justice/prison system should change.

6. knocturne

knocturne Level I

Ridiculous, I don't care what happens in your country of Canada.

But here in the United States, we base our country off freedom, liberty, and justice. We made human rights so that you have the chance to defend yourself and not be convicted of something you didn't do just because circumstantial evidence would lead people to believe you did. Just because a guy looks like he obviously committed the crime does not mean he actually did,

and i would rather let 10,000 criminals roam free

than see 10 innocent men rot in prison for the rest of their lives or be faced with lethal injection. Innocent until absolutely proven guilty.

7. Heather

Heather Level IV

I guess from a male perspective it's a little different when faced with the thought of thousands of child molesters and rapists wandering the streets or even possibly living next door to you.. when they aren't targeting YOU as much as they are targeting young girls/women. I agree with you on the note about seeing innocent people on death row for a crime that they didn't commit. And women can losely throw around the word rape and assault without a hint of evidence and the accusee has to fight his ass off to defend himself. I've seen both senarios, innocent men being locked up for years unable to convince the right person of their innocence.. and guilty as hell people getting off for lack of "hard" evidence.

But going back to the actual question, I don't see a problem with the idea of bail because that's where the saying actually holds up, you're innocent until proven guilty. And I feel that way ONLY because of the fact that innocent people deserve their rights, and innocent people get accused of crimes all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.