1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I kinda need brutal honesty

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Freja, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Freja

Freja Level IV

For a long time, I wanted a tattoo to match my sisters as a kind of sister tattoo (she is my best friend and I love her to death).
    So on another forum, I made someone "custom-make" it for me. Here's the outcome:
    [​IMG]
    It is an "upgraded" version of my sisters, hers is just the heart without all the stuff around it sorta. I wanted it not to be exact, but still recognizable.
    My sister has it on her ankle right ankle on the outside, where my original thought is to put it on my left ankle on the outside. But now I'm beginning to think I'd rather have it on my shoulder ?
    So what do you think? Shoulder or foot?

2. John

John Level IV

Not telling because you'll just be jealous psshh..
    Well, it depends. If you want it to be more discrete, foot. But if you want it to be noticeable, shoulder.

3. Detox

Detox Level III

If you are making a tattoo to match one of your sisters, and your sister has got it on the ankle, You should place it on your ankle.

Althouhg it is not an option, Id reccomend placing it on your wrist (inside - XD i do not know how exaclty to explain where you should place it). Myself have got my name tatooed on my right wrist, and it looks awesome

4. upriser

upriser Level II

shoulder since thats pretty detailed, but its gonna hurt pretty bad when the drawing starts on the shoulder blade or collar bone :p

5. Freja

Freja Level IV

The tattoo already matches my sisters in design, I don't really think I need to place it on my ankle too. And yeah, it was mainly because I wanted it to be discrete, but now that I've thought about it, I want it to show more :D
    And wrist is a big no-no for me :p

6. Heather

Heather Level IV

I'm assuming you mean the back of your shoulder? Like on the shoulder blade? If you want to be able to see it, then put it on the ankle. If you don't care if you can't see it without a mirror, then I'd go with the shoulder because you'd be able to show it off more and still cover it up easier. You don't need it to be on the same part of the body as your sister's, just the fact that it mimics the design is enough.

7. Virre

Virre Level IV

I find shoulder tattoos pretty tacky, so I'd go with the ankle. It's much more subtle, and you can save the shoulder in case you want to do some other detailed tattoo there in the future.

8. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

I like the look of it.

I'm with the ankle. You can still show it off whenever you want. I think it's a good position for a first tattoo.

9. coconutmoon

coconutmoon Level III

I have a tattoo on my should and on my ankle. I would suggest the shoulder, but only if you go on the smaller end. The ankle actually hurt more, for me at least. How may have trouble get as much detail as you have drawn if you go small.

10. Freja

Freja Level IV

Yes, on the back of my shoulder :D And thank you, errbody! Still wondering. But I thought about it, and I'd hate it if my top-straps would get in the way. I don't really like how that looks. So I'm thinking maybe a bit up on my leg. Like, my lower leg, lol. But gahhh, still not sure xD

11. Virre

Virre Level IV

One thing you could do is to take pictures of yourself and close-ups of spots you might want to put it. Then you can just photoshop the image on there to see what looks the best and what you'd feel most comfortable with. =)

12. Freja

Freja Level IV

Oh dear Virre, I am really not that high-tech xD

13. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Freja, just a note: if you put it on your shoulder, whenever you wear a sleeveless dress (or a dress that doesn't cover it up), it's always going to be there :). And also, you know you can get it in different colors right? ;)

14. crixstal

crixstal Level I

Eh, wouldn't she have the same problem if it's on her ankle? Anytime she doesn't wear a sock, it's going to be there.

I'm wondering if the actual size of the tattoo is going to be about the same as the size of the image you show us? If so, it might make more sense on the shoulder (I'm assuming you mean the side, kinda like the shoulder blade/first 1/3 of your arms.

It also depends on what job you have and whether you tend to show your shoulder or ankle more often, how often you want others to notice the tattoo, how old you are, how conservative the town you live in, what your parents think about tattoos, etc.

Honestly, I've seen many stupid tattoos in my life, and yours actually seems to have aesthetic value and a purpose, you could put it anywhere you please and it wouldn't matter that much if I see it.

Me, I'm still trying to figure out a way to have a fairly large tattoo of a phoenix rising from the ashes without my parents--or anyone, really--seeing it.

15. Freja

Freja Level IV

Thanks guys. And yes, as said I am not getting a tattoo I don't want people to see. It would just be stupid. I don't think I'd ever regret something that displays the love for my sister :p So I'm not really worried about that. And the size? Hmm, not really sure..
    I don't want it in color though.

ALSO I missed the appointment because I slept 'til 5pm sunday! FML

16. Heather

Heather Level IV

Or I know that tattoo artists will put an ink version on you first so you can see how it would look and if you'd like it. You could have them apply it in multiple spots to see what you prefer.

17. crixstal

crixstal Level I

+1 on what Heather said. I think if you asks, your tattoo artist would give a direct answer. That's what he/she does for a living.

Also, why not just ask your sister? Since you asked us (and thus, indirectly, me), me thinks a tramp stamp is in order. XD

18. Freja

Freja Level IV

Yeah, definitely going to let her put it on me first. I saw tattoo artist do that to my friends when I went with them anyway :)
    And I don't really want a tramp stamp :p I did show it to my sister, but she's on the same side as me, not quite sure.. xD

19. Sloth

Sloth Level I

If you were me, I'd pick my shoulder. Ankles a pretty good place to have this tattoo too, so either ways fine.

20. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah...what happened to this anyway Freja? Backed out?