Is "God" an alien?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Milanos, May 6, 2009.

1. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

This has been interesting me for quite some time already, so I figured I'd just post about it.

There was the cloud that led Moses, and there was the "moving star" the wisemen followed.. They both sound like some sort of craft leading them to me. At least, to me that's the most logical way to see them. Then they are of course Ezekiel's Wheels. Those really sound like a craft of some sort to me. There was the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, which sounds a lot like an explosive. The "virgin birth", would also be possible with our technology today. Jesus could perform miracles - modern technology? His resurrection, perhaps they found a way to do that too.

But it doesn't stop with the Bible. Almost every civilization that wrote their stories down has stories like this. The Greeks had Prometheus for example, who gave fire to men. The Mayans, Egyptians, Aztec.. etc civilizations also have similar stories. Another thing all the stories have in common is that the "gods" always wanted to meet high above the ground. Greeks = Mount Olympus. Mayans, Egyptians and Aztecs = Pyramids. And most of these civilizations lived around the same time too.

So what do you all think? Does this sound believable? To me it does.

2. John

John Level IV

Not telling because you'll just be jealous psshh..
    I don't think it's beliveable. Being religious myself, I think it's strange to think of God as an Alien. But I'm probably being a little biased.

3. lolcow

lolcow Level III

I don't think so mr; too many inconsistencies with that - at least from where I stand (in the midst of religion and all that).

4. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

Hmm yeah, I understand that if you're religious and believe in a god this must be pretty hard to believe indeed. But can you please explain why you think there are too many inconsistencies with this?

5. lolcow

lolcow Level III

Well, this discussion basically leads to the whole Science vs. Religion; some things which cannot be explained by science are explained by faith (and some which are explained by faith are later challenged by developments in science).

If there were aliens around 4000 years ago, where are they now? If they influenced the development of human society to such a tremendous degree, why have they not shown themselves? Why have scientists never found any other forms of life outside of earth? Not a single amino acid has been found outside of earth (and researchers have looked into the center of the Milky Way - which, as a side note, tastes like raspberries and smells like rum).

6. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

As to the question why have they not shown themselves..

How about this. You see some ants in your garden. You either leave them alone, crush them or are interested in them and their development, like I would be. So I would for example put some food right next to them, and just observe from a distance. You've helped them but then leave them alone, to see how they develop. I think that is what "they" might be doing too, just observing from far away.

7. Will

Will Level IV

That's an interesting concept.

With regard to the Greek Gods: Mount Olympus was only above the ground to infer that the Gods look down on you. Same goes for Hades and hell: the inference is that if you go to hell, you are looked down upon by all.

8. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

Nice oppinion. I believe that too.

And miracles could be made by other means not necessary technology.
    Ever heard of Reiki?

9. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

Never heard of it, but I just read it all. Doesn't sound believable to me, there is no scientific proof at all. The way I'd explain it if it worked was the placebo effect.

And in my opinion if one starts believing in things for which there is no scientific proof, then well, you could just believe in God as well.

10. Arkley

Arkley Level III

Sounds an awful lot like that god-awful crazy-cult better known as Scientology.

11. joycey

joycey Level II

No offense but I find religion's to be laughable... this tops them. Good read though, I'm actually going to forward this theory to people IRL just for the LULZ. :D

12. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

From Wikipedia.

That sounds a whole lot different than what I said to me. This is about reincarnation, totally different thing if you ask me.

Dude, I find religion totally laughable too. But I don't really get how this tops them. This makes more sense than some higher being just creating everything.

13. joycey

joycey Level II

It tops it in a sense that it has even more comic value ;>

14. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

Meh, doens't to me :p It's just that many people have been raised with the idea of god. If you're open to all ideas, then this wouldn't sound that bad.

15. SoC

SoC Moderator
    Staff Member

Simple asnwer = no

aliens are real
    god is fake
    therefore god cannot be an alien.

SImple really :)

16. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

Lol SoC, hence the quotation marks :p

The way I meant it was, the "being" that people have honored in all these cultures, was that "being" perhaps an alien.

17. Arkley

Arkley Level III

If you look into it, you'll see that Scientology is all about aliens supposedly interfering with Earth's development, and leading to the concepts of modern religion. My post was entirely in jest, but please, don't boil this down to semantics to defend your crazy space religion theory against another crazy space religion theory. Both scientology and your theory here suggest that modern life and the development of the human race can be attributed to alien intervention. If someone presents you with two blue sweaters and says "These are pretty similar", you probably ought not to contradict them by pointing out that one sweater is a slightly darker blue, because it doesn't make you seem observant or clever, it just makes you sound like a pedantic tool.

18. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

Lol, that way..

Both Islam and Christianity have a Messiah, a God, heaven and hell.. Pretty alike then too? In my opinion Scientology's theory is way different from the idea I was putting forward. Scientology actually believes in something that doesn't make any sense scientifically. At least less than "my" idea.

19. Arkley

Arkley Level III

Your idea is just as senseless and meaningless and derived from the same "proofs" as modern religions (scientology included), it just comes to a different yet equally ridiculous conclusion. But hey, don't take my word for it. Go locate a scientific community - any scientific community you like, they can be whale biologists for all I care - and lay your "theory" on them. If your self esteem ever recovers from the rapturous laughter that is sure to follow, please do come back here so I can say, in no uncertain terms; I told you so.

20. Milanos

Milanos Level IV