Is two weeks really enough? // Soccer - Italy

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BobaFett, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFett

BobaFett Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you think that the Italian FA can really fix the problems they are having with hooligans in just two weeks?

Personally, I don't think that two weeks is enough for them to do anything about the problems they are having. Two weeks is just a break for the fans and the players.

If they were to put the league on hold for at least a year, the fans of the teams will probably realize just what they are doing, and since football is religion in Italy, they will surely want to straighten up quick. And the players will want to move away from their clubs making the fans upset and want to straighten up. Plus, what teams will want to travel to Italy to play their European cup matches?

A year will allow the league to bring the stadiums and security up to date, which is clearly a major problem. And maybe, just maybe UEFA will get up and get involved with the Serie A.

Anyway, I've got a bunch of thoughts about this -- what do you think?

And if you're not a fan of the game or are just going to say "Well, uh, I don't know really because I don't watch soccer. Hahaha!" Then don't bother posting, seriously.

2. Tricia

Tricia Level IV

There is no way it's enough. 2 weeks is an absolute joke. At the end of the day, a man was KILLED. What on earth they expect to achieve in 2 weeks is beyond me.
    The people involved in the trouble are probably laughing at the authorities right now, but I suppose they have to think about the majority. Would it just turn other fans against them if they imposed a longer ban?

3. pinkydog

pinkydog Level III

I am not a big soccer fan, but can someone tell me what happened to?

4. Tricia

Tricia Level IV

And what did you just post? :p. Google it ;)
    I have noticed quite a few messages you've posted that might be considered spam - perhaps you should have a re-read of the rules?

5. l3mu3l

l3mu3l Level III

No, It's impossible. I wouldn't say just in Italy. That stuff happened here in Canada with the NHL, when the oilers I think it was made it to the playoffs. You can't match security with the number of fans a night :p

6. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

Oh... I didn't know that the new was arrived also in America! (It isn't the first time that a thing like this happens)
    Yes, two weeks isn't enough, but like you've said, in Italy soccer coats a very important role... and there are at stake a lot of money, and you know that money rules the whole world.
    However I'm not able to speak in english all the things that are happening in these days about this fact... but the ultimate author of the murder maybe is a 17-years boy...
    It is a shameful thing, but the hooligans will exist forever all over the world (I remeber of a test match I saw in Denmark, where I had to go away because I was afraid of the hooligans), and I don't think that a longer disruption could solve the fact. You know how the mass can incite the individual... it's also for this that I don't like competitions...

7. BobaFett

BobaFett Administrator
    Staff Member

Aye, I heard it may be a 17 year old boy. As far as I'm concerned, what he did was murder and he should be punished appropriately.

If the league are really that concerned about money though, one would think that the Italian FA would work harder to make all the stadiums up to date and secure for the fans. And, they are still going to lose a lot of money by playing behind closed doors this weekend. I don't think I would go to a private league match if I was paid to go -- it just sounds like such a bore.

8. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

Uhm, a 17 years old boy is a minor, so he will not go in prison :x
    However, was drafted a list of the stadiums that are according to the law, and a list of stadiums against regulations. For now matches will be only in the first case stadiums. And I hope the others will be according to the law the earliest possible :|
    But maybe you have heard how are the bureaucratic things in Italy... very very slooow.

9. BobaFett

BobaFett Administrator
    Staff Member

Really? A minor can not go to prison in Italy? Even for murder? Wow...

Personally, I think that FIFA or UEFA should step in and clean Italy up just like they did with England. I don't think the Italian FA will be able to do everything on their own or correctly...

10. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

I'm not versed in soccer... and in all sports ^^"
    However... this isn't the first time that a man is killed after a soccer match
    :x

Yes, in Italy minors don't go in prison... but maybe in a juvenile jail... it's extremely different :| However for the guiltys there insn't a punishment yet.

11. don_pazzio

don_pazzio Newbie

Real Madrid is the richest cup overall:D

12. baldudexx

baldudexx Level III

The Italian Leagues host the third richest club in the world (most profitable) = Juventus (3rd) behind R. Madrid and Barcelona.

I don't think a two week ban will be enough to sort out the holligans and yobs that go to the games because it will not be a long enough 'rehab' period.

Juventus will lose revenue because of this halt and the Italian League (serie A and B) will lose more of its already bad reputation. However, I also think that a year is too long because of the enormous lost revenue. I think that 4 - 6 months would be fine.

In general, wherever there is Good there is Bad (Ying and Yang, same sort of thing). So, you have to gradually sort out the bad, you can't expect a quick fix to everything.

13. chelsea1

chelsea1 Level IV

well it's not long enough to fix a problem but i suppose the real arguement is how much of a problem is there?

14. Tricia

Tricia Level IV

In my opinion, a 17 year old is completely responsible for their own actions and should be charged as an adult. He killed a man and should now have to face the consequences.

15. slickmik

slickmik Level II

But at 17 years old you might still have some teen left in you
    Maybe a bit lesser sentence than a full adult but prison nonetheless

16. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

Yes yes, in my opinion too... 'cause when I was 17year old I felt completely responsible for my actions...
    But not for the law! In italy you reach the major age when you are 18year old. So maybe he'll go in a juvenil jail.
    However at the moment the problem is that video registration don't prove that he was the ultimate author of the murder... but it's sure that he was one of the involved. But there were hundreds of hooligans in the streets that night.

17. Tricia

Tricia Level IV

I'm not saying that they should be treated exactly the same as an adult, but sticking them in these young offenders places is ridiculous. They're like holiday camps. I have a cousin who is now 17 who has been in and out of them since he was 13 for arson, assault and now class A drug dealing. He likes the places he's sent to and on one occasion, he re-offended purely to be sent back. They need somewhere where they don't get bloody playstation rooms and sweet shops, etc. It's ridiculous. Prison should be a punishment, not a vacation.

18. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

I agree. But we can't change the law :| We are in a democracy, but we don't command.
    I think that they should be sent to work very hard, maybe for some public activities, so they'd make theirselves useful.

19. GoGetta

GoGetta Level I

nope i dont think so

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.