1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Middle School "Okays" Birth Control

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Soleil56, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Soleil56

Soleil56 Level I

I saw this on a community forum a while back and I thought that it was really interesting.

A Jr. High School is making headlines about giving birth control to it's students (article is here)What is your stance on providing Jr. High students with condoms and birth control? Should it only be the parents responsibility? [...]

Personally.. I really don't know. I think that its too young, and that birth control is very unnatural, on the other hand it would help students going through sex and being prepared for it.

2. stun420

stun420 Newbie

There are just so many pros and cons about this. On 1 hand you could be preventing a bunch of teens from becoming pregnant and/or getting an STD.. Or it could promote sex and make teens think its ok to have sex this young.

Personally, as long as parents teach their kids 2 wait.. this is a good idea to be giving out condoms and birth control.

3. Armin2008

Armin2008 Newbie

To be perfectly honest, It seems as though they are encouraging it at a young age.

4. heartstrings

heartstrings Newbie

umm everyones having sex these days
    and with the "rebelious little jr. high kids"
    you really can't stop it.

5. Soleil56

Soleil56 Level I

I wasn't saying "lets stop kids from having sex"

Im asking is it right for schools to hand it out to middle schoolers.

And I really believe that birth control screws up with your hormones, its unnatural.

6. woooot

woooot Level II

jr high kids are trying too hard to be mature;;
    its most definitely the parents responsibility

7. heartstrings

heartstrings Newbie

Yeah, I know. But if you can't stop it, then you might as well keep them from getting pregnant. It's their fault if it messes up their hormones, they should have waited.

8. SinkingThoughts

SinkingThoughts Level I

Lolz, just because a school provides preventive measures doesn't mean they condone it -_- It's just caution, though I think having babies at 15 is a liittllleee too early.

9. Genocide11

Genocide11 Level III

That's pretty ridiculous. It's way too early to actually start giving kids in middle school contraception. It would be better to just introduce a little bit of sex ed.

10. cameronCRUNK

cameronCRUNK Level IV

I say that anywhere children are getting pregnant, birth control should he available. Since that's now happening in middle schools, sure.

11. Genocide11

Genocide11 Level III

But are children really getting pregnant in middle school? I just find that difficult to believe.

12. cameronCRUNK

cameronCRUNK Level IV

I say that anywhere children are getting pregnant, birth control should he available. Since that's now happening in middle schools, sure.

13. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

Well birth control stabilizes a girl's menstrual cycle as well so it comes more accurately every month.
    But we all know the side reason as to why people get them.
    Although on another side, it'd protect you even if girls got raped or encounter something unfortunate.
    Kids learn quick these day too, it's actually not a bad idea. I've heard many stories last year {2008} about how girls tried to have a baby in the school bath room and tried to flush it -_- If she was human she'd know it wouldn't fit. Secondly, some people was dumped in a ravine with the umbilical cord still attached, and others where the mom put it in a plastic bag, sealed it and threw it in a public trash can.
    It's really sad but that's what happens when people are not sexually responsible because during the heat of the moment some kids don't know how to use protection.

14. GhettoNeopet

GhettoNeopet Level II

I don't really see a problem with this.
    If kids that age are sleeping around, it is for their own good that they use birth control.
    I think it is the childs responsibility, obviously, if Jonny or Annie doesn't want to use it, they won't, but if it isn't available it takes away the opportunity.
    It shouldn't be the parents responsibility. Their only responsibility is to educate the kids and provide them with guidance.

15. bladeoftalwar

bladeoftalwar Level IV

nothings wrong with BC. only good can come out of it

16. krilas

krilas Level II

It would be adequate enough to scare the crap out of the kids by showing them what AIDs and other STD can do to them, then they wouldn't engage unnecessarily in sexual activities or even if they do, they would buy contraceptives. Giving them contraceptives is as good as giving them the thumbs up for engaging in sexual activities which is totally the wrong idea.

17. Fexxel

Fexxel Level IV

Its a good idea, but I imagine if you introduce this to middle schoolers we will just be, well, rebellious and not use condoms. Its a catch 24.

18. Roarbark

Roarbark Level I

Sounds to me like the sex education should be upped, not the availability of birth control.

19. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

I don't get why people think if you give a kid a condom they are going to run out and get laid. Kids aren't stupid they make their own decisions and if that kid doesn't have a condom and decides to have sex the outcome can be far worse than just being prepared. In my schools people were sexually active from a super young age I think sex education should of been way more than a talk before puberty and a talk about STD's.

20. unknown2

unknown2 Level IV

I really don't see the big deal when people go "omgazors! They are having sex at 15!", assuming all is safe and preventive measures have been taken. I mean, this whole 'love' thing, still isn't fully realized, even at 25+ sometimes, so sex is just another thing, like eating a pizza or going for a walk, etc.

I'm not telling all the 15 year olds go out and have sex, I'm just saying we shouldn't make a huge deal if they do