Minorities vs. Majorities in College Admissions

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by astrospride, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astrospride

astrospride Level III

It's been in my mind for quite a while now. In my opinion, it's not right that minorities (Hispanics, Native Americans) get an advantage over the majorities (Whites, Asians) for admissions because not only is every human each to each other but this is why racism will never cease to end. What do you guys think?

2. inqwire

inqwire Level IV

i think that in my state there is no affirmative action anymore so it doesn't matter to me

3. impega

impega Level III

Minorities, Majorities

Yeah, I also used to think that, untill someone told me that we (white people) do have alot to make up for...

Although I do think all people are born equal, if we simply forget about it, it would be sort of... disrespectful to all the vicitims of any racist attack or movement, it would be as if we thought it wasn't that bad and we could just sweep it under the rug

4. GrapeFruit

GrapeFruit Level IV

In retrospect the minorities are actually the majority. It doesn't make a difference though I think affirmative action is a good thing of course people are gonna get mad about it but it makes sense but I can see in a few years it being abolished after all the whole point was to give "minorities" a chance but after a while like I said the minorities will become the majority and affirmative action will have to go to the new "minorities" its a very flip floppy thing.

5. bititid0

bititid0 Level III

if i was a monority, i would be angry at getting special treatment. it would insult me that i have to be considered with a smaller group of people and would make anything i get less satisfying because i know i didnt necessarily earn it completely. and asians are not a majority. all non-whites are minorities.

from my point of view. if i was to get rejected from a school because they let a minority in with less qualifications, that would really REALLY piss me off.

6. Zapno

Zapno Level II

Idiots. You think that people of a race must pay for that races previous actions? That is a horrible way to think. This only creates further racism instead of just ending it. I am not in debt because some guy I do not know had a slave hundreds of years ago. Descrimination is NEVER good in any case. If an idiot gets into a school instead of me, just because of the color of their skin then was someone not just racist to me?

7. astrospride

astrospride Level III

That is why everyone should be equal when considered in college admissions. Same thing if you were a boss and you were interviewing two people. You wouldn't want to pick the one who has less qualifications but was a minority right? You pick the one who's best suitable for the job.

8. chrisw2525

chrisw2525 Level IV

i dont think that minorities shouldnt get an advantage, if they cant keep up with the level of education dont go there, theres no way they should get an advantage

9. areo64

areo64 Level II

i think we have come past the times when affirmative action was needed. most people today dont care about others race and programs that favor minorities only prevent a truly equal society.

10. the_skip

the_skip Level IV

All people should be treated fairly

11. unskillful12

unskillful12 Level III

Affirmative action is reverse discrimination. Let people get in on their merit, not by the colour of their skin.

12. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

Although you do have to look at it from the school's point of view. Say you have a native american student applying, teh school will almost always accept him/her if he/she has decent grades. Why? Because they are a HUGE minority and so that the school can say that now XX% of our students is native american.

meh.. so basically its so taht the school can look good.

pfft >_> dumb schools.

13. unskillful12

unskillful12 Level III

I don't think it's the schools fault. If they had their way they'd take the richest and the smartest. It's the government that's enacting all these quotas that must be met by each school and this is because of the people.

14. areo64

areo64 Level II

i thought the gov got rid of the quotas a while back? i think its just the schools setting quotas now because its better in our society to say your students are diverse than to say they are all one race but smarter than everyone else who applied. no one will donate to a school with no minorities for fear of looking racist and schools need donations to survive so we get quotas.

15. unskillful12

unskillful12 Level III

Yeah, I think you're right actually. Either way, it's still stupid =P

16. monostar

monostar Newbie

I don't care....

I don't care.... as long as we have scientists...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.