Paypal Questions

Discussion in 'Neofriends Help and Suggestions' started by Zer0, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

I might start selling stuff for USD, but I want to clear some things up about Paypal first.
    Since the questions are dependent on the answers of the previous question, I will start w/ question number 1 and continue on. The person (or people) who are most helpful will get +rep :)

Can you get a Paypal if you are under 18?

2. Ariesvexic

Ariesvexic Level III

Technically, no. Just give it a birth date that makes you 18

3. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Ok

So if I sell some NP for lets say $100, can I use that money to buy something from Ebay? And do I need a credit card or some other verification?

4. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

...uh, yes you can. I have a bank account verified account that has my real age. I've used it to buy and sell successfully.

5. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Oh ok.

So like if you sell something, will the money be kept on a record w/ Paypal, or does it have to be transferred to a bank account?

6. Ariesvexic

Ariesvexic Level III

Sorry, you can register one at any age, I was misinformed.

Sadly, to receive or send money you need a valid debit/credit card attached. Paypal can most definitely be spent on ebay though.

EDIT: You can keep it in paypal as paypal balance which can be spent online where supported, or if a bank account is attached do a simple transfer to that. It's kept on record with paypal unless transferred.

7. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Ok, so if I keep all of my money (from selling stuff) as a paypal balance, do I still need a debit/credit card attached?

8. Ariesvexic

Ariesvexic Level III

To be able to use that money, yes a card needs to be attached. You cannot spend any of it without a valid card.

A paypal account with no card may simply accept money sent from someone else, but has no access to it without a card.

9. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

ok

What plans are there, what are the differences between them, and which do you recommend for occasional selling and buying?

EDIT: And can you change plans once you've already created an account?

10. Ariesvexic

Ariesvexic Level III

There's personal, and business accounts pretty much. A business charges fees, while a personal account is free.
    EDIT: I'm not too sure, but paypal takes a portion of all money when you accept sent money and the business fees are higher, not sure if personal is free.

11. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Any difference between the two in respect to both buying and selling?

12. Ariesvexic

Ariesvexic Level III

Yeah, one will take a bit extra from you in the form of fees, they are functionally the same. Go with personal :)

Zer0 likes this.
  13. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

lol, ok
    thanks for all your help :) +rep

14. Heya_old

Heya_old Level IV

hey, i've been thinking of starting a paypal account too. i have a question to ask (and since zero brought this topic up...)
    does it have to be transfered if there's a bank account attach, or can it stay on paypal?

15. Adam

Adam Level III

No.. you can have as much money as you want in ur paypal balance... If u have a CC or a bank acct attached, you can buy things using your paypal acct balance and no charges will appear to ur CC or bank acct.... Basically wen I buy something using money I made selling NPs I can buy watever I want with that money and my parents will never see the charge on my CC or bank acct :p. Ask me any paypal questions, Ive had one for seven years, since I was 9... Also, If you ever need to me to recieve money for you on my paypal, I could and then send u a personal check, cash, money order, w/e u wanted (of course taking a fee for my troubles :tehe:

16. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Or a bank account. To restate what Aries said, you can receive money on an unverified PayPal account, but in order to send/spend the balance, you have to verify it with a bank account or credit/debit card.

17. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Thanks again for all your help guys! :)

One last question (for now): When someone sends you money to your Paypal, will you receive any kind of notification? If so, can you turn it off/on?

18. MickaelH

MickaelH Level I

I think so. Normally you receive an e-mail that said "you did that or you received that, etc." and in this e-mail, there's link that say something like : "if you think there was an erreor, contact us by clicking this link"

19. Smirnoff

Smirnoff Level IV

first post:

Every transaction sends a notification to both parties detailing the transaction which took place. To the best of my knowledge this can't be turned off, though I've never tried. If it gets annoying simply flag PayPal as spam and the messages will be put in your spam folder instead.

second post:

Are you 100% sure on that? I could have sworn that I've received money from unverified accounts in the past. I thought that so long as the account has the amount of credit that they are trying to send actually on hand, then it can be done. The account just cannot cash their balance out into their bank account or send more money then is currently on hand to any other accounts.

could be wrong I guess, but I know that Australian PayPal is different to the American Paypal, and both are different to the UK PayPal. All the different countries PayPals have different terms and conditions and stuff like that.

20. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Positive. I've tried sending money before I verified my PayPal, and for the life of me I couldn't find a way around verifying.

And I have no idea how you've received money from unverified accounts; maybe it's just a US rule in that case.