Popular Scams

Discussion in 'Neopets Guides' started by seesdude81, Jan 7, 2007.

1. seesdude81

seesdude81 Level I

Popular Scams

Takes place: N/A

Fake login pages- A Fake login page is where there is a page exactly like your shop or front page but it is not on neopetscom it is on some other address. The shop will have a very expensive item for very cheap and when you click on the expensive item it will say you haven’t logged in and it will take you to a form site where you can type in your username and password and your username and password goes to your email.

Be protected- Always check the address bar no matter what, simple as that!
    ----------------------------------------
    Takes place: Trades

Double trades- I fell for this one time actually. The double trade is where you’re buying an item; lets say a Faerie Queen Doll. As you know you can only bid 800k on a single item in the trades. So the scammers set up another trade and say bid 800k on the FQD and 700k on the junk item. Then he accepts the junk item and rejects the FQD. Afterwards he transfers both the money and the FQD to another account and self freezes the account he scammed you on.

Be protected: Remember not to do a Double trade it is as simple as that
    Takes place: Everywhere

Referral scams- This Scam doesn’t lose you any money that’s the good part. This scam gives the scammers referrals by saying click this link and make an account ect. These people who do the referral scams say something like” click this link and create an account in the 13-17 year old category say you are 16. Once you do that create 3 more account from this link and on the 3rd account go to the hidden tower and write 555 and all the items in the hidden tower will be 555 neopoints this works 1 third of the time if it doesn’t work try again and again with different emails”

Be protected: Always report the username that is on your neopets link for example http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?user ... llow222222 report the Pillow222222 part.
    Takes place: Boards/email

Neo sitting- This is one of the stupidest scams ever. The scammer will say I will neosit your pets for 100k. They will just keep your pet and keep your money. So DON’T DO IT

Be protected: Just don’t do it and report the username who tried and scammed you
    Takes place: Shops

The Avatar Pinta- This is one of the most common and well working scams. They will tell you that I am putting an avatar pinata in my shop for 99k. But it isn’t a real avatar pinta it is just a regular pinta worth about 1k.

Be protected: Either A: memorize the avatar pintas or B: just avoid those pintas in shops.
    Takes Place: Form sites

Neopoints generator: This Scam will take place on a form site. Some people will say you can make millions of neopoints just give me your password. There is no such thing as a neopoints generator you can’t generate neopoints. Another neopoints generator is actually a program that you can use without giving your user name and password to a person directly. But right after you log in it will say an error and your username and password will go to the maker of the neopoints genorator.

Be protected: Just don’t do it!!!

Neomail Scams :

Someone sends you some of the neomails listed below :

Neomail Scam Example #1

The Neopets Staff,

We are the official neopets team. We send you this message just to inform you that we suspect that your account has been using flash games cheat to earn neopoints. As this is a very complicated software and we cannot check from outside of your account, so we need you to fill in this form.

E-MAIL ADDRESS:( )

DATE OF BIRTH:( )

USERNAME:( )

PA5SW0RD:( )

By filling in this form, we can check further into the case and will not freeze your account in the meantime. If you co-operate, your account, neopets and items will be safe for the time being. Thank you.

The Neopets Team.

When you go and take a look at their User Lookup they said in their description that they were the Neopets Staff!! Beware of this SCAM!!! Remember that Neopets Staff will never ask you for your pw.

Neomail Scam Example #2

Someone neomails you saying she/he was on Illusion’s Quest and needed a punchbag bob card in 15 minutes. She/he tries to get you to offer on someone’s trade to get it for her.

Here's what the neomail might look like.

do u have the card "Punchbag Bob"? i rreally need it 4 Illusen's glade, level 50! plez, i will give u 450k and a krawk 4 it! jus plez... 15 minutes! hurry and get 1 and i will trade u 4 it!

jus offer on their trade! im checkin out trades... ill get it from u! jus offer stuff!

100% Scam !

Neomail Scam Example #3

Also a neomail scam similar to the one above is someone might neomail you saying he/she is in Illusen's Quest No. ** and he/she needs an item quickly (usually something which is in your gallery) like in 2-3 mins. He/she tells you to put the expensive item in your shop so that he/she can buy it quickly without having to trade for it and 'waste' time. He/she will tell you that you will be rewarded for it. Dont fall for it. 100% Scam !

Neomail Scam Example #4

To blah blah (*****)
    Sent **/**/200* 0*:**am
    Subject Virus!!!
    Folder Inbox

Dear *****
    Neopets have detected a profant virus,
    and have removed it with some hard work
    but our codebase was erased so we need
    you to send your login names and passes to:
    staffmember@mailbox.as

We couldn't release this in the news cause
    then all the maniacs would think that now
    they have an opportunity!

NOTE: You must not change your pass in 5 days!!!

100% Scam again. Neopets will never ask you for your pw.

Shop Scams :

1. Take special note of the price a shop charges ESPECIALLY in shops with black backgrounds where you can't read the items names and price. Always make sure that the price you thought you would pay is the price your paying. Some people will put one codestone at say 1000 and another right next to it for 10,000 hoping that a person will think they are the same and accidentally purchase both.

2. You go to a shop and there's a link saying, Play Meerca Chase. You click on it, and there's this animation. It shows the loading thing but more quickly. Then when it loads there are no options; it just automatically starts and you aren't controlling the meerca. It just goes in a straight line and fish negg after fish negg appears in front of it until it crashes. Then it says, "Unable to send score. Please insert username and Password to report this bug" and there's a form below.

If you get this, DON'T enter your password, report them!

Guild Scams

"The Guild Raffle"

Okay a lot of guilds have Raffles for expensive items like paintbrushes. But some guilds have a fake raffle. This is what they do they ask for money for a rafle ticket like 10k a ticket and tons of people buy the ticket s winning him lots of money. Then he really doesn't send the pb to the winner he just says his side account won and doesn't send it out at all.

It Isn't always this case some guild really do have legit. raffles.

" For Guild Members Only "

"I found a secret passage to the neopets team members np making
    strategies. This is a site made for neopet staff memebers to get an
    unlimited amount of nps. WE work out butts off playing games and
    restocking while theyve got it all free. WEll I managed to find the
    link with a lot of hard hard hard searching but here it is. And its
    for guild memebers only. The only sidefall is that I dobnt want
    alot of people using it at once. To miuch uses might attract the
    neopets team and they maty close the link to prevent normail
    neopians from using it. For this safty percasion i have applyed a
    pa$$ to the link. I will change this pa$$ in 5 mins. So if your
    gunna use it you need to use it now.
    Link---------->
    Pa$$---------> free (all lowercase)
    better hurry times ticking! 4:59......4:58......."

The link can and probably will lead you to a page with a Cookie Grabber.

"Donation Contest" (

This is just like it sounds a donation contest. They say whoever donates the most gets a rare item. They get a lot of money from all the donations but then they just don't give the prize to the winner they give it to their side account.

Not every guild does this but some might so be aware.

Ps. I know most of you know most of the common scams but i decided to do a guide anyway for newbies.

2. Balthier

Balthier Level III

Is this your guide? Did you write it out or copy it?

3. seesdude81

seesdude81 Level I

I did this on an neopets help site (that didn't work out) and then i asked if i still had the article STORED UP SOMEWHERE so they allowed me to use it (still being my article) anwhere i like. (I Wrote it but some people gave me suggestions of other scams but then i wrote them)

you just got to beleive me.

ps. i love your siggy

4. h4x0r

h4x0r Level II

Nicely done on your part. Lets people know what to look out for. Good Job +rep for your effort.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Aweosme guide. +rep.

But, did you know that some people look fir thies guides so they CAN figure out how to scam people?

how do they sleep at night...

6. the_skip

the_skip Level IV

Another scam is a fake ab or one with a keystroke logger
    One scam is asking for an item for an avater that is worth 300k but then someone would say can I have it for 3/4 the price and I will give it back but they never will

7. seesdude81

seesdude81 Level I

Yep how do they sleep at nigh' *ssigh* i am going to try and uptade this guide a lot