Private Auctions?

Discussion in 'Neopets Chit-Chat' started by tharning, Jul 21, 2013.

1. tharning

tharning Level I

Why do people request private auctions? Whenever someone does that, I just feel like they're trying to cheat me out of some money. If they really want to buy the item for what they said, what's the problem with bidding on a public auction?

2. tristen1230

tristen1230 Level II

Well if you guys made an arrangement on the price then they should have the reinsurance that they will get it for that price.

3. tharning

tharning Level I

Hmm. I guess I can understand that. It still just feels like I'm potentially selling it for less than I could get... Maybe I'm just being too greedy though, lol.

4. tristen1230

tristen1230 Level II

Well you probably are getting less then what they may usually be selling for but if it is over 800k and it is probably HTS so it is a quick sale for you and you cannot expect to get full price.

5. tharning

tharning Level I

I see. However, I feel like I just proved my point with the auction I just held. Someone offered me 1.5m for a particular item and asked if I could please put it in a private auction for them. I said I felt like it was worth at least 2m and said I would put it in a public auction and if no one else bid after them, they could have it for 1.5m. My auction just finished for 2.2m.

6. supracharger

supracharger Level II

It also depends upon the item. From the sounds of it, this may have been an ets item that "is" worth about 2m an someone offered 1.5m for it, which is understandable, I do that all the time too, an correct me if I'm wrong you put it in the auctions for what you guys agreed upon. Having the auction public gives other people the option to also place a bid for it. Which is unfortunate for the person offering.. lol But, either way, you came out on top with a sale.

7. Junior

Junior Administrator
    Staff Member

I come from a land down under! (Maaaate!)
    Yea - as a seller I'm not a fan of private / high increment auctions. however I'll do it to get a HTS gone. If its an ETS item and I feel there is room I'll leave it as low increments.

As a buyer - I love it. Means I can get the item I want, with almost a guarantee. The only way I can't is if they get a better offer, then get a friend to bid on it higher than its worth, then trade back and sell it. a lot of work, but it does happen. I've seen it.

8. tharning

tharning Level I

Oh wow... So many ways to screw around with people. I would never think to do any of that, but I guess I can see why people would want the private auctions. As a seller, though, I think I'll just put it straight into the auction house with low increments and assume it'll sell for around what it's worth. That way, I don't feel like I could've made more and I didn't tick a potential buyer off.

9. sabuna

sabuna Level I

Yeah exactly - as a seller, they're bad, as a buyer, they're great.