1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[+Rep] Basic Website Creation Question(s)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Siren, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Siren

Siren Level I

Not sure where else to put this, sorry if this is the wrong section! It didn't seem to fit any of the others.

I recently registered a domain "carter.co.nf" with one of those 250mb-storage low-bandwith free websites. However, it wants me to upload files like 'index.php', etc. I understand the basic tenements of PHP (server-side, not viewable to users, so good for user counters, interacting with server-side resources, etc) but have no idea how to actually begin creating the site.

If anyone here has done a small project like this in the past and can link me to any guides they used, applications (Mac OSX 10.8), etc that would be immensely helpful!

The goal of the site is a place to advertise programs / allow downloads of scripts, etc.

I have a fair understanding of javascript and HTML, so I don't (necessarily, I hope!) need any guides on that stuff.

Thank you so much in advance! Absolute +Rep for anyone who contributes to this process :)

C/Siren

2. lawlz

lawlz Level I

For just an index page, you can just get away with making a file the way you would with an HTML file and just save it with the extension .php instead of .html . If you plan on coding the rest of the website without PHP, then I would suggest doing something like this if they don't allow you to upload an index.html instead. However, if you're interested in learning PHP then you can google useful websites for that (probably the same ones you used to learn HTML and javascript will have introductions to PHP). You can code PHP in the same programs you use to code HTML and javascript.

Have you made actual webpages before and understand the concept between index.html and how to upload and link pages together?

3. Siren

Siren Level I

Yeah, I understand the linking of resources on the website using anchors, hrefs, etc, but was just wondering if I really *need* php for this?

I've had two beers and suddenly this is seeming much more basic than it did an hour ago. The effects of alcohol are baffling.