1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual Harrassment A-OK in Russia

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Commy, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

2. JennD

JennD Level I

OMG.

"A Russian advertising executive who sued her boss for sexual harassment lost her case after a judge ruled that employers were obliged to make passes at female staff to ensure the survival of the human race."

Let's be serious now, there are how many people in the world? The human race isn't exactly being threatend for extinction..

" "If we had no sexual harassment we would have no children," the judge ruled."

Oh yeah, let's completely forget all the people who have children everyday on their own just fine, without sexual harassment. There are millions that are married, or in a longterm relationship, or even adopt. That is bull. And by far the worst excuse I have ever heard for sexual harassment.

3. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

...that's ridiculous.

Something needs to be done. The entire article is an outrage.

4. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Honestly, I don't completely trust the veracity of the article. I'm sure that sexual harassment goes on in Russia like it does in every other country, but I highly doubt that the statistics are an accurate representation of the entire Russian population. They didn't give any details on the exact nature of the survey (number of people, groups of people, etc) which could potentially lead to "unintentional" inferences.

There's just too much missing information for me to give an informed opinion on this article.

5. JennD

JennD Level I

That is true, I've never heard of this website before, but still.. If that is true, it's completely messed up.

6. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, it's a citation of the Telegraph.

7. Chris

Chris Level II

I'm not sure if this is a lol, of :sad cry: moment. I really don't see how anyone of any culture that has any true government would let that issue slide. The statements given by the judge were at best ridiculous in nature. However, I will have to agree with Zer0 in the fact that there just isn't enough testimony, or applicable statements, cultural surveying etc. to qualify the country itself as being "ok" with sexual harrasment.

Often times many people are thrown into the, "Your from here, this happened, so your like that to loop." For example, I live in the United States, a country seemingly bent on War, and the likes of that nature. However, most people that I know from here are actually caring people who in no way support our presidents mishaps.

8. chikorita_S

chikorita_S Level I

WTF, can't you still save the human race...with someone you actually love?!

I ain't never movin' to russia, thats fer sure =/

9. Arash

Arash Level I

I would question the credibility of the article, because it was published by someone who evidently wants to "create" change, and it may be an exaggeration of the facts.

10. fail

fail Level IV

ZOMFG! im goin there to harrass some women!! lol jk. thats actually quite sad

11. JennD

JennD Level I

If the human race were ever threatend that would be a question to ask, but the judge's comments were completely absurd to even insinuate that. Especially with the worlds population near 7 BILLION. o_O

12. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

You're right about that...6,719,528,480 people on Earth just in this second.

And the law in Russia doesn't say the judges must have some sort of mental health. --> --> -->

13. Icegoten

Icegoten Level III

That is a corrupt judge and the people should rebel. I can't believe he said some of the things he said but was able to become a judge.

14. Istoph_domo

Istoph_domo Level I

I'm certain that he would not become a judge in America. However, I can guarantee that the requirements to become a judge in Russia are much different than they are here. Also, according to the same article, such sexual harassment is commonplace in Russia.

15. Icegoten

Icegoten Level III

I wonder how alot of the women in russia feel if its common? And if they like it or ease into it does that make it not sexual harassment?

16. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Flirting becomes sexual harassment when the person says no. So obviously they don't like it :p

17. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

I guess the hentai anime got to those bosses when they were kids or something.

18. cracck

cracck Newbie

I think by saving the human race, the judge meant the Russian culture, because the population is actually declining there. I'm from Russia, and lived there for like 7 years, and I've never heard of anything like this... But if it were somewhat true, I wouldn't be surprised. Russians are generally really hardcore proud of their culture, so the declining population is bad news. I think there's a lot more women than men, so like once again... non-even gender distribution leads to decline of population. Basically, that would make women desperate? So due to all that, I could see why the article would make sense... women who are desperate wouldn't mind having sex for a promotion, since often jobs are all they have. Women who are married would not be as concerned for promotion, since their husbands would be working.

BUT I'm not supporting it--just putting it into perspective. Yes, it's really offensive to women, but based on the country's standards and way of thinking... I can understand why it could be true, and why the judge would say this.

19. kingsh00d

kingsh00d Newbie

I agree with cracck, and perhaps if other countries were subject to uneven population distribution this would be a more common story/problem. I found it surprising that in the poll, 100% of women reported it, however, as previously stated, if a lot of these women are single, they cannot rely on their husbands to provide income and in a lot of cases, it's basically doing what you have to do to make a living.

cracck likes this.
  20. mjnskivt

mjnskivt Level III

if there are more women than men in Russia shouldn't sexual harassment be declining? if there are that many more women then they should theoretically take over more roles in the workplace and in Russian life in general, so you'd think that sexual harassment would be less common. also, i would put a million bucks on the fact that the judge was a man who had at some point sexually harassed someone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.