Should a mosque be built near Ground Zero?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by powerof0, Aug 4, 2010.

1. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10856231

The announcement that a 13-story Islamic cultural center and mosque would be built several hundred feet away from the site of the Twin Towers has caused controversy. Opponents of the mosque attempted to block the project by trying to obtain landmark status for Ground Zero, but failed.

So what do you guys think?

2. Junior

Junior Administrator
    Staff Member

I come from a land down under! (Maaaate!)
    Slap in the face much?

I don't think they should build it.

3. upriser

upriser Level II

Are they trying to do this for laughs or something?

4. tarzan993

tarzan993 Level I

I think it's hypocritical. Same type of churches would not be allowed in Muslim countries at all.

5. Virre

Virre Level IV

I understand some of your concerns, but it's time that you all realize that the people who caused the 9/11-attack weren't muslims, they were fanatics and terrorists. Every religion or political group has a few assholes, but that doesn't mean you should judge all by the works of a few. It will only contribute to an already poor relationship between followers of the religions.

So two wrongs make a right now? What happened to religious freedom? By your logic, all non-Christian non-Americans should be kicked out. Do I really need to remember you that your forefathers stole the country and started building churches in the land where there was a different faith to begin with?

Hally likes this.
  6. Junior

Junior Administrator
    Staff Member

I come from a land down under! (Maaaate!)
    All I'm saying is.. That place is a location where MANY people lost their lives.. I've got nothing against muslims (a few friends are muslims), but still. Building a place like that there... just seems wrong. Heck, building anything there will probably cause controversy.

7. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

Note that they're not actually building the mosque ON Ground Zero. It's going to be a few blocks away.

8. Hally

Hally Level IV

Ground zero will be a 130 storey mosque actually. It's being turned into the World Muslim Centre.

9. Aemira

Aemira Level III

They should build it and then crash a couple of planes into it.

10. Nathan

Nathan Level I

I honestly do not see why they shouldn't build it. The 9/11 attacks were caused by fanatical terrorists, not the Muslim community.

11. lollol1

lollol1 Newbie

I don't think they should, 'cos there are so many spots in NY where they can build one, and doing it there is just a big "in your face" to the families of the deceased.

12. heyitsamy

heyitsamy Level II

I think that it shouldn't be built there, but only because it is a religious structure of any kind. I would also be against a church being built there. I think that it should be reserved solely for a memorial to the lives lost or left with no building at all. Any kind of building that expresses any kind of affiliation implies that there is more compassion for Muslim lives lost, which is not true- all the lives should be equally mourned.

If it's really not actually *on* ground zero, just near it, I don't see what the problem is.

13. Virre

Virre Level IV

14. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

15. singapore

singapore Level III

agrees with this :)
    i get that its not Muslims who crashed the plane but still i just feel that its wrong to build a mosque near to Ground Zero. build it somewhere further away from the site and all will be good :)

16. Cacklenub

Cacklenub Level IV

I think it is stupid on their part. Building a mosque that close to the former WTC would make them a huge target - and I can only imagine how much of a target they would be.

For their own safety, they should just build one someone else in NYC - it's a large area.

17. singapore

singapore Level III

oh yeah, never thought of this. i agree with Cacklenub. the mosque will be a huge target anywhere in NYC but that close to Ground Zero, good luck to that..

18. Dragonlily

Dragonlily Newbie

Personally... I think that's the wrong place to build it..
    I have nothing against other people's religions and places of prayer..
    but I don't think a mosque belongs there

19. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

I agree, screw the constitution, that would just be disrespectful, just build the mosque somewhere else

20. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

They certainly have the right to build the Muslim cultural center/mosque in this location, but it may not be the most considerate thing to do. In fact, I heard that the project was once named "Cordoba," which many people considered to be an insinuation of Islamic victory... The people heading the construction project should have handled this with more tact...