1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should gay people be allowed to have kids?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by HeyLisa, Oct 21, 2010.

1. HeyLisa

HeyLisa Level I

Do you think gay couples should be allowed to have kids together? (Through adoption, sperm donor, etc)

Do you believe that it's a bad influence on the kid to have two parents of the same gender? Or do you think that gay couples could make just as good parents as a straight couple?

I personally believe that a gay couple should be allowed to have kids, since they are just as human as straight people. What really matters is how the parents take care of the kid, not what gender they are.

2. TtotheJay

TtotheJay Level II

Well of course I agree with you. A person is a person regardless of sexual orientation. And honestly, some gay parents would be better than a lot of straight parents. Not every couple should have children, but it has nothing to do with sexual orientation. As far as the influence on the children.. I'm sure the gay parents would address the situation later in life suggesting that their choices do not have to effect theirs regarding their sexual orientation, and that they can be anything they want.

3. Lully

Lully Level I

Of course they should!
    Otherwise, divorced or single people shouldn't be able to have kids as well, because they won't be a regular family with a dad and a mom. [...] That's just stupid!
    Besides, there's the fact that they're choosing to have kids. It's not like an accident or something, so theoretically, they should be more prepared than those bunch of knocked up straight teenagers who don't have a clue how to raise a child.

4. Cacklenub

Cacklenub Level IV

I believe they should be allowed to have kids.

Since they will be planned(obviously), they will have better preparation for the child.

And assuming they adopt the child, they will bring that little girl/boy out of a foster home/adoption center which is probably terrible and into an actual loving family.

The biggest problem I see is gender knowledge...two gay men should not be able to adopt a girl because they would not be able to teach that girl well enough about their special lady needs other than what they learned in health or google etc.

Or if they are in a public place, they won't be able to go into the girl's restroom with her and help since they are men.

Or if two lesbian women adopt a boy and the boy wants to play baseball, the women probably have minimal experience catching a baseball and won't be able to help him get better or practice catch in the backyard and all that.

5. rienei

rienei Level I

they should be able to have kids but at certain points, i think a mother would be best instead of 2 fathers. Some men just dont have that motherly love only women can give.

6. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

I don't think it's fair to ban gay couples from adopting children of the opposite sex. Currently, single parents are allowed raise children of the opposite sex, so how is it fair to ban gay couples from doing so?

7. bobbarr243

bobbarr243 Level I

They should be allowed to have kids. Just because two people are gay doesn't mean that they are inherently bad parents

8. Lully

Lully Level I

That's quite sexist of you. My best friend has been raised by her father, as her mom died when she was 1, and she never got a problem with that.
    What about those mothers/fathers who mistreat or completely ignore their children? I think they'd be better off with a gay couple than with someone like that, regardless of their genders.

9. Kangaroos

Kangaroos Level III

I entirely disagree with the whole notion that gay couples shouldn't be allowed to adopt kids of the opposite sex. It shouldn't matter if they're gay, what does matter is their parenting ability and how much they would love their kids. There's more than enough literature in the world to get these couples' comfortable with the unique health/body needs of each gender. Moreover, it's completely sexist and unfair to say that two women don't or can't teach a son how to play baseball. Hell, I know some girls that know much more about sports than some of my male friends. And about the restroom issue, what happens if a father takes his daughter somewhere? The same issue is present, he is unable to go into the restroom. Here, I think the parents should let their child be independent and do whatever they need to by themselves. If they are too young, then the parents are allowed to take the child into whichever restroom they want. (Hence the changing stations present in both genders' bathroom)

Personally, I think the US needs to just stop being so damn conservative and preventing these couples from having a child. In my opinion, gay couples have to think over having a child so much more than a straight couples do. They have to plan every little aspect because the process is so difficult. And if they planned out everything and think they can handle it, I have faith that they can raise a perfectly normal child. If straight couples who accidentally have a child are able to successfully raise him/her, I see no reason that a gay couple who has given the whole situation deep thought cannot. Give em' a chance, I'm sure everyone will be happy with the results.

10. RRRJ

RRRJ Level I

If they are both capable of taking care of the adopted kids.. then why not? theres a huge surplus of kids who need adopted families..

11. dk8932

dk8932 Level I

Gay couple should be able to have kids. I don't think having to parents of the same sex should influence the child much in their own sexuality. The parents will raise their child up just like any other child around us.

12. Kidn3yThief

Kidn3yThief Newbie

I absolutely think that ANY capable couple should be allowed to have kids!

GENDER DOES NOT MATTER

Love is love :")

13. Jamie

Jamie Level I

I believe that anyone can have kids, regardless of their gender or sexual preference. It's their decision, and there's nothing saying they can't be just as good parents (if not better) than "straight" couples.

One thing I will say however, is that their kid's life could be difficult. While there are people who won't care, there are those that will, and I'm sure they'd face a good deal of hardships throughout life.

I guess its a big thing the parent's would have to discuss, since it could be a deciding factor. Not their fault, but just the narrow-mindedness of the world.

14. Someone_besides_me

Studies have actually shown that child abuse among gay couples is significantly lower than that of the "standard american family." Also, another joy of gay couples is they're not liable to have a child by "accident," which means they have to go through meticulous planning and steps in order to acquire a child, which already is more dedication than a great portion of folks with kids out there..

15. Megs

Megs Level III

This is absolutely fucking ridiculous. Gay couples and straight couples are much the same, the only thing making them different is their biological sexes. Of course they should be allowed to have kids. In fact, I learned in one of my classes that a child raised by a gay couple is much more likely to be tolerant of others, and be more accepting of different physical traits and mental characteristics than a child raised by a straight couple.

16. Captain

Captain Level I

I don't have anything against gay people, but I'd rather if children were to grow up viewing and knowing the way nature intended for procreation. You do not make a child through two men or two females. Nature intended for male and females, hence one has sperm and the other the egg. I honestly don't think gay people should have children.

17. samale

samale Level I

I think it's okay for them to have kids, it's just that I'm really curios on how they would raise up their kids, and what effects do their kids have growing up in a gay family. We all know that many kids have different effects on their lives when they grow up either from a normal family or a broken family, we've also heard some of their stories on the media, but to me, growing up in a gay family is something that i would really be interested to learn more and to hear about. It is something that is new!

18. Lily

Lily Level I

I think it's sad that this is even a debate topic... Studies show that children of gay couples actually do BETTER than other kids statistically; their cognitive ability, emotional/mental problems (or lack thereof), etc... Gay couples don't have "accidental" children. They WANT children. They have to go out of their way to get them, usually. So of course they should be allowed to adopt children that might have spent their childhood in an orphanage otherwise.

19. 1324

1324 Newbie

Course , its free right's like any other person ;o

20. xso0intou

xso0intou Level I

I don't see why not. Whether a child parents are gay or not, a child can still be happy if he/she was treated right. Gay or not, as long as you treat your kids well, it shouldn't matter. But then again, thats just me. I don't judge.