Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Fendi, May 11, 2007.

?

Does Your Country Have A Smoking Ban?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

In April this year Britain introduced a smoking ban in all enclosed spaces including bus shelters, Pubs, Clubs and Restaurants.

Does your country have a smoking ban and if so do you agree with it? If not do you think one should be introduced?

I do smoke but I agree with the ban. I think people have the right not to breathe in other peoples smoke over peoples right to smoke.

I must say though my beloved coffee house Shot In The Dark, has lost it's cool atmosphere it used to be dark and smoky now it's just dark xD

2. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

In the US it is different in each state.

Where I Live in Washington state we have a smoking ban in all public buildings. This includes bars, resteraunts, ANYTHING

and I LOVE IT!

I don't care if people smoke. *shrugs* Just not where I cant get away from it.

If I am EATING I dont want to taste ASHES

And I smoked for 5 years. So its not like I am being blindly one sided.

But I was sitting in this resteraunt while visiting my dad in Virginia.. (where they dont have the smoking ban) and these 2 woman sat next to us and lit up.

I mean... they didnt ask... Nothing. It was just common nature for them and it was very rude.

and then theres the whole 2nd hand smoking thing

3. petunia

petunia Level II

It's different depending on where you go around here. I live in a rural area, so it it's not very strict about no-smoking as of yet. As a smoker, I must admit that I do get a little annoyed when I go into a restaurant that doesn't have a smoking area.

However, I completely understand the reason behind these bans and I think they are a good idea. No one who wisely chooses not to smoke, should have to breathe in someone else's nasty second-hand smoke and have their health wrecked because of someone else's poor choice. The harder they make it to smoke, the more discouraging it will be for someone to start smoking. It is annoying to a smoker, but I think that's the idea. :p

4. marlene

marlene Moderator
    Staff Member

We have a complete smoking ban in all public buildings plus all the bars, restaurants, pubs, etc.

It's kinda funny to see how all the places are adapting. The bars have really taken a hit... but there's so many veranda's now... and even during the winter they were building these little plastic shelters outside with heaters, just so people had a warm place to smoke.

It is a lot nicer in the restaurants as you can now smell the food before it gets to your table.

5. x0angelus0x

x0angelus0x Level III

My country doesn't has smoking ban although I wish we had as I hate cigarette smell and I had asthma history. I think my country won't ban smoking because cigarettes are one of the important sources of income for our country. They do "encourage" people not to smoke or quit smoking by putting some photographs of rotten lungs on the cigarette packs and show the "Say No to Smoking" or whatsoever on advertisement which I think are not working at all..............

6. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

^^

Marlene it's the same here every time I walk down this road which has like a million coffee houses a new sign appears saying "New Smoking Garden". I've never understood smoking in restaurants I wouldn't want to smoke whilst eating and afterwards you can leave to do it. I think most of it is good manners I would never smoke in a bus shelter with people in it because it's just rude. Pubs/Clubs are strange though because you become accustomed to smoke. I doubt a smoking ban has any effect on the economy side of the tobacco industry because people can still smoke outside/In their homes so governments don't really have a reason not to have a smoking ban. The US is strange because I expect the laws to be different in Scotland and Wales because they are different countries but between New York and Kentucky it seems wrong because it's all still the US. Though the difference between New York and Kentucky is like two different countries.

7. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

I want smoking ban EVEN IN PARKS OR HOUSES. Too much carbon dioxide doesn't help the planet neither the humans

8. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

^^

I suppose you purpose to give up all Transport, Industry & Economy & for the good of the planet as well? As said in a previous post by someone smoking will never be officially ban because governments make to much money off it.

9. marlene

marlene Moderator
    Staff Member

Re: ^^

actually... that's a delima for a lot of governments...

Smoking does cost the economy in lost productivity and health care...

but if there wouldn't be any smokers... more people would not die prematurely and the impact on the healthcare system for elderly people is substantial also. Not to mention all those people that would ahve died earlier, will no be collecting pensions for longer periods.

One well known economist predicted if everyone stopped smoking... then the government pension plans would go bankrupt.

10. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

^^

Thats really strange They make money off tax and pension plans but lose it on health care. I doubt they want people to stop smoking & by promoting smoking when it wasn't a known fact it causes cancer they got future generations hooked as well. The evils of this world xD I'm guessing this isn't such a problem in America without the NHS?

11. mash

mash Level II

weve had the smoking in ban for scotland for the past year and i love it! i can go into bars and clubs and not have to get out from fear that i would suffocate with others smoke.

ive also noticed that if you walk down the street, theres hardly anybody smoking either

its great!!

12. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

There's a law here that bans smoking, but nobody really listens to it.
    You go anywhere and see people smoking.
    I think smoking and drugs should be allowed, as long as it doesn't affect other people than the user himself.

13. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

Maybe in the future we should all wear gas masks to protect ourselves (and to let another company take good loads of cash) for the smokers.

Just an idea :p

14. Neopet King

Neopet King Newbie

My Country does have one, I believe we all should. Second hand smoke is worse than the smoke the smoker breaths in. If you're in a public place you shouldn't have to make people breath in something that's going to affect their life.

15. mash

mash Level II

im a firm believer that if you are going to harm yourself (only in the context of drink,drugs and smoke) then dont harm anyone else in the process. for example as a non smoker, why should i have to inhale peoples second hand smoke, i choose not to smoke for a reason...kinda defeats the purpose.

each to their own i guess!

16. elite

elite Level III

I don't smoke and I agree with the ban. I don't like being around people who smoke.

17. ali913xx

ali913xx Level III

I think the ban is a good idea simply because it's common courtesy to not inflict one's harmful habits on another person. Although smoking around me does not bother me a bit, I always feel a bit repulsed when anyone lights up around me in a confined area such as a restaurant, if only because some manners should come into play in such situations.

18. coheed_

coheed_ Level II

I'm still unsure with the smoking ban, I smoke though i do agree smoking shouldnt be allowed where food is served.

In clubs i don't see a problem.
    but yeh im unsure.
    i agree with some aspects.

19. mash

mash Level II

nah, wen i used to go out before the ban was in place ur lucky if i could stay in the club for more than an hour before getting the biggest bomber of a headache and having to go home....now i can partayyy all night and i think its great!

20. pandahorde

pandahorde Level IV

smoking also helps right? specially when its cold... BUT it is verry bad to your health and it should be ban.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.