stem cells

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gusgus, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gusgus

gusgus Level II

should they be alowed to be used/researched?

To me, the scientific benifits that they could have are amazing, but with the way the black market is, im sure that if we were alowed to collect the stem cells, you would have people in third world countries being forced to continuously abort just to sell the product

2. Smelly

Smelly Level IV

I think stems cells should be used for research. They are easily extracted from the umbilical cords now, and there are no ethical concerns there as far as I can see.

As to your point about forced abortions etc. In 2005 there were over 722,500 births in the UK alone. Just imagine if EVERY single umbilical cord had been harvested of its blood. Thats 722,500 lots of stem cell concentrated blood. Which is then able to be multiplied.

There would be no need for blackmarket blood.

3. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

^^

This is true ^^ And I think due to this fact it's a crime not to use them. Obviously the mother should have a choice whether it be used or not but I don't see how it's any different from giving blood.

4. Smelly

Smelly Level IV

Re: ^^

Thats a good point. It's no different.
    In fact, it's probably better. Stick a load of stem cells into your body to help regenerate the lost blood. (I know it doesn't work like that, but I'm no expert on the subject)

5. Neopet King

Neopet King Newbie

I think even the eggs in a woman should be used for Stem Cell research if the woman decides to. The average woman has like 10,000 eggs, more than ever released, why let them go to waste. If the woman decides to give her eggs to science they should use them for anything.

6. gusgus

gusgus Level II

I dont think the eggs can be used, way too small to be of any use, not to mention removing them will bring the woman to pre matapause, which is quite unhealthy

7. dwaynedetubb

dwaynedetubb Newbie

too small to be of any use?

We have the technology to routinely inject a specific sperm into an egg. We can analyze various quark formations through which billions of quarks can fit into a single female egg.

too small? I think not.

As for their use, have you ever heard of a "test-tube" baby? These are kids who are technically conceived in a test tube or petri dish. The cell is allowe to divide normally, and is then replanted. What's stopping us from replicating something like that for stem cells?

8. gusgus

gusgus Level II

whats stopping us, I believe human morals are. We can not simply farm babies to get their stem cells. To purposly create a life for the sole purpose of killing it later so that we may benifit is morally injust
    And the eggs are too small to be of use, for example, say a person needs a bone marrow transplant, stem cells could be a replacement, but it would take the full collection of eggs from hundereds of women to get the apropriate mass.

9. noncheatercheater

I'm leaning more towards yes, BUT, I'm more on the fence than anything.

Women should be able to choose if they should abort their babies (as long as it's not in the third term because at that point, it can live outside of the body).

I think given the right technology, we could grow "blank babies" where they're plain vegetables, and can not do normal things like breathe, blink, comprehend, look around, so basically, it's a soul-less shell of a baby. It's sick to think of it but so many more people are at risk because the cure is within the stem cells.

On the other hand..

I am life-lover. I think giving up a potential prodigy of music, sports, any talent or genius, is just wrong. We could potentially kill the next Beethoven..

I don't know..

10. gusgus

gusgus Level II

"i dont know"

without sounding sarcastic, that truly is one of the smartest answers in fields like this. My hats off to you for looking on both sides of the fence.

I can fully see the arguement for using the cells in aborted fetuses, but the idea of raising babies for that purpose, it just seems to me like we are giving up on the idea that life is precious.

11. mash

mash Level II

for the argument of too small to use eggs....its not the eggs themselves that are used, its when they become fertilized that they are used, and you will find that a lot of mothers who have undergone IVF have donated the rest of the fertilized eggs to stem cell research.

and more to the point if need be, the stem cells can be created from the egg relatively quickly by artificial insemination...as you cant get stem cells from the egg alone

12. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

*_*

Blank babies wouldn't ever be used it would blur the morality of other things like human cloning and religious groups would go insane but if the umbilical cord can be used a baby is born will live life normally, the mother is fine and not harmed, no extra risk it's going in the bin if it's not used to save or dramatically alter someones life. Why the hell not?

13. class10808

class10808 Level I

I feel that saving lives should be the main priority as stem cells have great potential. Even if they are sold in black markets, if they still can save lives, why not?

14. gusgus

gusgus Level II

Re: *_*

totally agree with you, I see no down side with using it from the cords. Stand firm however on my stance on raising babies for the sole purpose of killing and harvesting them

15. mash

mash Level II

yeah of course, i was just using that for the argument that an egg is too small to use for stem cells.

16. DavethXCore

DavethXCore Level I

I think stem cells will become more important as the world develops, and now that they can be extracted from Umbilical cords the moral issue becomes less important (In my opinion) as someone above mentioned I do think the harvesting of babies to fund this research is wrong and hope it doesn't go on anywhere.

A related yet not topic; Donating body parts to science? I know that when I die I'll donate every part of my body that can be useful to another, I'd just rather help someone than let them go to risk.
    Same with giving blood, I do that whenever I can but I've just had a tattoo so I can't give for a while I don't think.

17. mash

mash Level II

im on the organ donors list...lol just hope im too old for the organs to be used lol...

stem cell research is paramount to the advancement of medical science so i am 10000% behind it

18. gusgus

gusgus Level II

im on the organ donars list as well, but I plan on going out in a way that there will be little left

19. jdp1230

jdp1230 Level III

i support stem cell research. its just like giving blood for scientists to try and make the world a better place

20. hollywooddramanut

hollywooddramanut Level III

or not only forced but for money aswell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.