1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tablet or Mouse?

Discussion in 'Graphics and Art' started by atombomb, Aug 27, 2010.

1. atombomb

atombomb Level I

Do you use a tablet or just a mouse or a combination of both when design graphics/art?

2. Galifanakis

Galifanakis Level I

When I do graphics, just a mouse. But when I draw things I definitely use a tablet with the occasional assistance of the mouse :3

3. Code

Code Level II

I use a mouse, that's because I don't have a tablet. Tablet would be cool though xD

4. RESPRiT

RESPRiT Level I

I've had a tablet for 3 years, and it makes using a mouse feel really uncoordinated. If you have a tablet, it's not hard to get used to it and just use it for everything you do.

5. Goaneopy

Goaneopy Newbie

At the moment I use mouse over to buy a tablet!

6. atombomb

atombomb Level I

I borrowed a tablet from a friend. It really made things easier... I could outline a scanned image much faster than using the pen tool in photoshop. I wasnt very good at using the pen tool in the first place.

7. Aemira

Aemira Level III

When drawing I use a tablet 100% of the time. When doing graphics though I'll use a combination of the two. I use the mouse for any effects or filters, anything that just involves clicking buttons. But the tablet is used for adding patterns or brushes anything that's like the equivalent of drawing.

8. atombomb

atombomb Level I

lol yeah. I use a mouse to click the menus too. Accessing the menus with a stylus is a bit hard...

9. Galifanakis

Galifanakis Level I

More than hard O: Plus with the one I have it modifies how far your stylus goes to the canvas, so you're not dragging it off as you're drawing - which also makes it hard to go past the canvas and tap a new tool x)

10. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

Just wondering, but how on earth do you guys draw with a mouse? I tried it once and couldn't even draw a straight line. <_<

11. Galifanakis

Galifanakis Level I

I did it all the time before, and you really get the hang of it. It's all in the elbow for mouse drawing. x) I can't do it anymore, since I've used a talet for a year, but it's not too bad.

12. wasserdrop

wasserdrop Newbie

me too. if you just do graphics you don't need it.
    but if you want to draw its much easier with a tablet ;)

13. Kaden

Kaden Level I

your sort of only meant to reply to a topic if its relevant to you xD.. else its just spam =P

For me, I only use a mouse currently, but i will DEFINATELY be getting myself a tablet before next year, when i start Uni.
    I will be doing Games Art and Design, so basically you NEEEED a tablet =P.. I have used a tablet before and its really easy for me.

cool thing is, is i am left handed, so that means i can use a tablet AND a mouse at the same time, because i use a mouse right handed xD..

14. Clumsy

Clumsy Level III

I find a tablet is much easier to maneuver over a mouse - the problem I have is that my tablet is incompatible with my scanner and I need the use of my scanner more than the tablet so I have just taken to drawing by hand again :)

15. Aemira

Aemira Level III

What do you mean your tablet is incompatible with your scanner??

Like when you scan stuff, you can't draw over it?

16. Clumsy

Clumsy Level III

When I installed the driver for the tablet it just doesn't compute with the scanner - the tablet works but then the scanner won't work.
    The last time I installed the driver I had a heck of a time trying to get the scanner to work again. I had to uninstall the tablet, re-install the scanner - like twice lol
    Something about the HP scanner and the type of tablet I have that is not compatible.
    But I am getting a new scanner on the weekend so we'll see if the tablet works with that one!

17. av_eric

av_eric Level II

I am in love with my tablet.
    I fail at using a mouse to draw though

18. itunes

itunes Level II

Mouse. for gaming reasons

19. Aemira

Aemira Level III

My roommate uses her tablet for EVERYTHING. Even just normal clicking and surfing the net! It's so idiotic in my opinion. I think there's a need for both or at least she could use the plastic mouse that comes with
    most tablets as well.

So I think tablets are only good for drawing, not as mice for doing other stuff.

20. Calmwinds

Calmwinds Level I

That's pretty interesting, because most manufacturers for mouse. make it so that even if you draw a slightly crooked line, it auto-corrects into a straight line. Unless you have a mouse made for gaming.