1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Peter Pan" Treatment.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rapi, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rapi

Rapi Level I

Rest of article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16472931/

What is your opinion on the matter?
    Discuss.

2. Balthier

Balthier Level III

This makes me so angry. That's all i'm saying on this topic; stupid, stupid parents.

3. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

That is sick and so unnatural. What horrible parents! I completely disagree with this and it makes me sad that Ashley's going to have to suffer for her parents' selfishness. :evil:

4. Adesity

Adesity Level I

My, who would do such a thing to their own child?
    I mean, wouldn't you want the best for your own children?

I'm pretty as she gets older, she'll probably hate her parents.
    I know I would.

5. Rapi

Rapi Level I

They don't know if she even recognizes her surroundings, though.
    I still think it's...Twisted, to say the least.
    I can understand keeping her as a child makes taking care of her easier, but the "and it protects her from sexual abuse" argument is stupid.

6. Zapno

Zapno Level II

Parents act as if their children are possesions. Of cource, nearly all parents will openly deny this claim. Howevor, they force their children to do things, acting as a secondary "will" of the child. Age should not determine a persons freedom, and it should not determine a persons ability to have their own mental-state.

7. xmarceh

xmarceh Level II

Just because of her 'lackings' doesn't mean she should remain a child forever..That would be torture :(

8. anonymouso_O

anonymouso_O Level III

I can understand what they are trying to do... and in theory it sounds alright, but ethically, and morally it is just wrong. This is just the wrong application for/of modern medicine... and to say that they're doing it for her is just preposterous... how would she even know the difference if she cannot cerebrally function?

9. Zapno

Zapno Level II

So, you have no problem with them deciding a HUGE life change for her?

10. Gil

Gil Level II

Personally, i would of aborted or euthanised her anyway.

11. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

Wait...isn't euthanasia against the law...?

12. Gil

Gil Level II

Not in all countries.
    I know its legal in the Netherlands, Switzerland and Belgium, and probably elsewhere.

13. Gil

Gil Level II

Blessed, this girl isnt going to school. She has both mental and physical sever e retardation. She cannot, walk , talk , or eat for herself.

14. Summertime_Blues

Summertime_Blues Level III

That's stupid. I would have aborted her or something, whats the point in her living when she's just going to lay around all day. they're just keeping her this way so she can be easily portable and they wont' have to spend tons of money on moving equipment. And that whole sexual abuse thing is ignorant. If anything it'll encourage it because the abuser knows she won't get pregnant.

15. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

It just annoys me that they're saying it's for her own good...as if they're being completely selfless. Her parents are obviously doing it out of convenience for themselves...they should just come out and say that.

16. meepyou

meepyou Level I

I think it's up to the parents, obviously nobody outside of a select group of people can fully understand the situation.

i realise most of you have made the same judgement about how it is wrong for various reasons, and perhaps you are right, but it is done, and it the parents can convince doctors that it is in the best interest for the child, it can't be as bas as you are all making out surely?

17. matasakeki

matasakeki Level I

The fact that doctors can do that kind of procedure makes me hate them more than I used to. Before I saw doctors as useless to me, since I never get sick or hurt and the fact that they can charge crazy amounts of money for a simple visit. Now that they can do creepy stuff like this makes me never want to visit a doctor's office again!

18. Rapi

Rapi Level I

What scares me is that this is so abusable.
    That girl won't even realize that she will never grow.
    But...I can see some Little Miss -Insert Place-'s crazy parents doing that to them, even if it's probably illegal.
    Scary, scary, scary.

19. Jhnboy

Jhnboy Level II

its pretty wrong but their parents did what they thought was best

20. marlene

marlene Moderator
    Staff Member

It's unfortunate that we are not able to see the entire process the parents went thru and the discussion the ethics committee had prior to the procedures being performed.

This little girl lies in her bed on a pillow all day long. That is so sad to think of having a life like that.

The parents could have abandoned the child, instead they did what they thought was best and would enable them to take care of their daughter for the longest possible time.

The fact that she'll no longer grow or have a menstral cycle or breasts was only to make her look younger and not something people will gawk at in a shopping center.

Her being small also allows the parents to move her about more easily, even as the parents age.

So given the choice of an institution or doing the procedure, I'm not in the position to make the decision for the parents and I support that decision, because when it comes to my child, I don't want the government telling me what I have or can not do.

-just my two cents-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.