The Pigs (the police)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Fexxel, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Fexxel

Fexxel Level IV

"Dis smells like bacon frank"
    ---
    Topic: Do you believe the police should be able to carry high powered guns to "control" our society? Why or why not?
    My Argument: I believe, if absolutely neccisary, that the police should be able to carry high powered guns such as M16s to protect our citizens. Also, this way, crimes would be easier to stop. IE: A 7-11 stick up. One guy has a knife, the police officer has an M16 strapped to his shoulder. Police officer would pwn the thief.
    :)
    FX

2. Ak*

Ak* Level IV

well that is what the main concern is where i live. In BC there is a huge gang problem and there is a war over the rights to sell illegal drugs to the people coming over for the 2010 Olympics. Right now our cops are having a hard time and are getting overpowered by gang members. Our police forces still have the standard 9 mm and shotgun. however the gangs are smuggling in military ammunition guns and body armour. So i indeed think police in this situation should have the right to overpower the gang member firepower with military grade weapons at their disposal. We now have he most gang members per capita then any other place in the world. Vancouver Bc is a dangerous place to live in now because of this and our cops cannot compete with military grade weapons without having any for themselves.

3. Andrew

Andrew Level II

Yes, I do believe they should be able to carry high powered weapons, although, currently, the police aren't truly allowed to shoot when there isn't a full fledged pledge I believe. (Correct me if i'm wrong). So, with that they still would lose in a fire fight with others whom carried guns because they can't shoot unless they are endangered?. :p I can't quite remember the deal, but yes, they should be able to carry high powered guns/weapons with them.

4. Zack

Zack Level II

right, so basically you're saying that someone deserves to be shot & probably killed for attempted robbery, even when they don't have a gun?
    theres a reason for tasers, batons, even handguns, and theres a reason police are taught to kill only as a last resort
    give a man too much power and he will become corrupt
    give a group of police officers permission to shoot whoever the hell they want with an M16 and we're f-ed

obviously if there's a hostage situation appropriate measures must be taken, but leave that to people specialized in those areas or swat teams
    if we just throw every joe-cop a military grade weapon we basically have martial law...
    and if we did, a lot of people (including myself) would go out and get their own gun (legally or illegally) to protect themselves
    I don't know about you but a fat guy with a doughnut in one hand and a rifle in the other doesn't exactly make me feel safe

edit: just read ak's post
    i still wouldn't give the cops military weapons, send in swat teams or even a small army battalion if absolutely necessary, people who are originally meant to use those weapons. that way no one's getting a sudden boost of power that they didn't have before, lowers the risk of anyone going corrupt

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I do think that they should be allowed to carry high powered guns, if they do not over use them... I already know that cops would threaten to use m16's and AK's for someone stealing $20 worth of stuff at a store. With the use of bigger guns, many people would be more frightened to go through with crimes. Also, maybe the cops would finally have the ball to go through the ghetto and do something that mattered there, rather than sitting around at malls giving out smoking tickets for 15-17 year olds...

6. Andrew

Andrew Level II

Stereotyping.. tsk tsk, you do realize, that there is an astonishing low amount of 'fat guys with a doughnut' in the police force, and generally they are doing the behind the desk job. In addition to that, he was using it as an example in which would be an incorrect way of perhaps showing the reasoning behind the police getting higher grade weapons.

Lets say you were a cop with a pistol, baton, taser, and such. Who do you think would win in a fire fight? 6 cops with those weapons, or 3 guys with military grade, illegally bought, weapons? I'd go with the 3 guys simply because they can out-power the 6, even when out numbered.

Now, perhaps, the police could get an upgrade in guns only after a certain number of years in service, therefore there would only be a certain number of military grade weapons in the hands of the cops. Then again, as you stated with the corruption, the cop may become corrupt although, if you give a man a gun and a badge he will believe he is at or above the law leading to corruption either way. :|

7. Fexxel

Fexxel Level IV

I concur. The more powerful guns the criminals get, the more powerful guns/body armor the cops need. The problem is that when corrupt cops get high powered guns, the sh** hits the fan.
    ----
    I agree with Andrew. I agree my example was a little off, and I apologize for that. HERES A NEW SCENARIO...
    -You have 2 cops (the standard police team) who find 8 people (the average kidnap team) with military guns, body armor, and thermal vision are kidnapping someone. Now, the cops are going to get the sh** shot out of them, and TASERS aren't going to help them. They need more powerful guns to counter the criminals..

8. Pandar

Pandar Level I

No way, the pigs can have medium-power pistols and the sheriff can carry around a shotgun, I don't want pigs pointing automatic rifles at my face for drinking. Leave the automatics for SWAT and FBI when a bad situation arises.

9. gregoden52

gregoden52 Level III

I agree. It would be terrible if police were carrying weapons like that all the time. Though, crime might go down.

10. Pandar

Pandar Level I

Of course it would, but at a cost most of us wouldn't be willing to pay. Plus, it widens the availability for pig corruptness a huge amount.

11. gregoden52

gregoden52 Level III

I agree. It would be terrible if police were carrying weapons like that all the time. Though, crime might go down.[/quote]

Of course it would, but at a cost most of us wouldn't be willing to pay. Plus, it widens the availability for pig corruptness a huge amount.[/quote]

Hopefully it will never come to that. But, who knows? I guess anything is possible.

12. Fexxel

Fexxel Level IV

The problem is that it takes the Special Weapons and Technology Team and the FBI have something called a "responce delay". This is when it takes the SWAT teams and FBI to position teams somewhere, especially somewhere far away from a federal base. Heres a scenario...
    You have an average cop team of 2 cops. You have an average kidnap team of 6-8 criminals. The pigs have 2 pistols, the kidnap team has m16 and ak47s as well as body armor, and stronger vechile support (Armored Vans VS police cars...). The criminals are kidnapping someone, if the pigs were to call for help, 5-15 minutes later you would have a SWAT team apearing at a crime scene with 2 dead cops, a kidnapped person, and 6-8 criminals that have gotten away. Now, if the cops had grenades, body armor, shotguns, MP5s-
    The criminals would all be sevearly damaged, probably suffering from shrapnel and glass fragments from grenades in their legs and lower body. There torsos would be torn with MP5 rounds, and there body parts would be paralized from the shotgun blasts. There ya go. :) Although, if the criminals have expert military training in CQC and crossfire fights, the cops are ****ed...

13. Pandar

Pandar Level I

It doesn't matter what guns they have, 2 cops are not going to beat that without making sure not to injure the kidnapped people anyway. And I rather not have typical situations like this turn into a god damn warfare, bullets going everywhere, explosion, etc.

In situations like this, there needs to be SWAT involvement. They have delay but there's not much of a choice, Police Officers are not meant to be a city's iron fist.

14. gregoden52

gregoden52 Level III

In situations like this, there needs to be SWAT involvement. They have delay but there's not much of a choice, Police Officers are not meant to be a city's iron fist.[/quote]

Thats a good point. The police can't do everything. Thats a job for the SWAT.

15. Fexxel

Fexxel Level IV

The problem is that SWAT don't go in the same police cars as the cops, they have a delay- thus not being 100% efficent.

16. gregoden52

gregoden52 Level III

You can never be 100% efficient. There are just some things that you cant prevent.

17. Fexxel

Fexxel Level IV

Well, if you give the cops better guns and armor, they might be able to prevent the crime from happening.

18. gregoden52

gregoden52 Level III

Whats that big armor/guns gonna do when the robbers are holding people hostage? Btw im still interested in buying the score sender.

19. Fexxel

Fexxel Level IV

Pistols aren't as powerful as m16s... ^^
    If you want the list just ask on the topic right now lol. I have it ready...

20. Dnarg

Dnarg Level I

I personally don't think they should be carrying around military-grade equipment; they would require more training, and it would be expensive to acquire - and as stated before, there are others who already have the proper training and experience.

I also believe if that your average police officer was toting around that kind of equipment, the criminals would (in my opinion) not be cowed, but would instead just be pushed to find weapons that rival or surpass what the officers have, which would eventually lead to arms races between law enforcement and criminals, until both sides had weapons that could cause massive collateral damage.