To PS3 or not to PS3?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Rhett, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

So christmas is coming up and I've come across a dilemma. Should I get the PS3? My original inspiration for getting the PS3 came through the Final Fantasy series. I have a mission to buy I-IX because they are just... great games. So my first thought is just to buy a PS One. They are about ~$20 on amazon, maybe less on ebay, but then I was like "Hey, what about a PS3?". Is it worth it? And by that, I mean are there enough amazing games on the PS3 to be worth getting? I don't mean games that are exclusively on PS3 either because if I do get it, I'll end up getting games in PS3 format rather than 360 because my 360 crashes in the middle of games every now and then and that angers me.

And if I do decide to buy a PS3, which one do I get? @_@ there are so many and I need one to be backward compatible.

EDIT: These were the only models that have some of both PS1 and 2 compatibility.

2. Tycho

Tycho Level II

Those 3 models are impossible to find as they no longer make them. If you have your heart set on getting one, be prepared to pay anywhere from 200 to 300 dollars more than their initial retail price. For whatever reason they decided to take out the backwards compatibility, and the models they sell now, even the newest one, do not have it.

In terms of games on the PS3, most people prefer to play titles that are on both of them on the 360, mainly because of load times. When you play a game on the PS3 you initially have to go through an installation of it, which can take upwards of an hour and a half. The exclusive titles are very dependent on what type of games you enjoy playing, and if you are heavy set in one genre over another be prepared to only have one or two games in your collection.

Many will also argue that a PS3 is amazing as a 'cheap blu-ray player'. Now, while I'm not trying to press the 360 on you, it serves for my example: Netflix, streamed through your 360 at 9 dollars a month vs spending 20 dollars on a blu-ray movie you're going to watch on your PS3 once and then regret spending 20 dollars on?

PS3's also have a very high overheat rate. :(

Also, just get a new 360! If you trade in the system with cords and a controller to a Gamestop as defective, you'll still get half-credit for it. You can use that towards getting a bare-bones Arcade system. Bam. Brand new 360 and no more crashing. :p

3. Will

Will Level IV

Please don't buy a PS3, because then you won't get halo. :(

Also, Xbox LIVE is infinitely better, even if you have to pay for it - and you can play with me (yay).

I also know you're asking whether or not to buy a PS3, not even considering the Xbox.. so I just thought I'd throw it in :D

4. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

If you're megarich then buy it
    If you aren't and want FPS and nice online gameplay buy 360 live.

Very simple :yup:

If required, I can edit this post to detail all advantages or disadvantages of both game consoles :D

:p

5. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

I already have a 360 and halo, but not Live. :( Our wifi isn't working at the moment and even if it was, I'm not looking forward to paying $80 for a wifi adapter thing for my xbox. Plus I'd end up paying for live and I don't want to. xD

Backwards Compatibility

Due to the availability of an extensive line-up of PS3™ system titles, the 120GB PS3™ system is not backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 titles, but does maintain backwards compatibility for some original PlayStation® titles.

All models pretty much say this, so I don't think it matters since the only PS1 and PS2 games I want to play are FFI-IX and those are all PS1. They have descriptions of which games are compatible for the PS3 and here is one of the FF game descriptions
    "Description: The following conditions have been confirmed on PS3 System Software Version 1.70: On the Final Fantasy V Disc (Disc 1), when the user’s character progresses to the first save point, and selects SAVE from the Game Menu, a black transition screen appears, and the title hangs. All conditions have been resolved on PS3 System Software Version 1.80. "
    They are pretty much all like that. "Here is the problem. We fixed.".

And as for the cheaper blue ray thing. No. I haven't ever bought a movie unless it was just as cheap to buy as it was to rent. I found fight club for $4. A friend gave me charlie bartlett. and when I was younger, my papents for me finding nemo and the second harry potter movie. xD

And the reason I want a PS3 is for a few really good games and then once I actually have it, I'll branch out and get more. Yeah, I don't really need it at all, but I'm not sure what else I want for Christmas. xD

6. Arkley

Arkley Level III

Ohohoho! I see what you did there, you replaced the "S" in the Microsoft abbreviation "MS" with a dollar sign! Because Microsoft (or should I say Micro$oft! lol!) is a greedy giant corporation, I get it!

How genuinely amusing and utterly original!

7. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

I love Idiocracy, but I don't think we have any Clevons on this forum.
    [​IMG]

I have to admit, a lot of people are 360 fanboys but I don't think that means they can be compared to Clevon. Microsoft hit it off when their release titles and it only improved from there. Sure, PS3 has blue-ray, but who cares? Sure, PS3 online play is free, but the 360 more online players anyway.

Yeah, I'm speaking against the PS3 which I actually kinda want, but I have to defend my 360 friends. Most games are made for the xbox originally because it's cheaper to make games for the 360. The PS3 has a Cell processor with eight cores and each one processes separate components of a game (physics, graphics, AI). In total, the PS3's CPU has more power, but the 360's is simpler. The eight separate cores make game development take more time because you have to assign each process to a separate core, so they end up normally only using one core which means the game is only using 1/6 of the potential processing power (if a game is made for the 360 then moved to PS3).

And $ony is just as bad. Their SKU's are crap IMO. Both Micro$oft and $ong - come out with one damn good SKU.

Okay, finally, I get to make a decent comment about the PS3.
    http://www.netflix.com/MemberHomeP
    Free < $9 :)

8. Will

Will Level IV

If you have a 360, then why buy a PS3?

There are very few games available for PS3 which Xbox doesn't have, and Xbox games (generally) provide (marginally) better graphics than PS3.

And you may have to pay for online, but tbh, after playing on both, LIVE runs circles around PS3 online. Even if you have to pay $50/year, and a wifi adapter.

9. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

You know when you've been playing Oblivion for about three hours and then you get this error message and all that progress is lost? That makes me mad. I've never heard of this happening on the PS3. And I don't really care about graphics. My favorite game is FF7. I don't care which system has better graphics. I want one with better gameplay and one that won't crash on me. :|

10. GrapeFruit

GrapeFruit Level IV

Do you just have a faulty 360 or is that something known to happen to the console in general? If you're talking about the PS3 being worth buying solely for FF and maybe a few other decent games then not really.

11. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

No, my 360 is working... okay. It only messes up every now and then, but it still annoys me. And no, I'm not buying it solely for FF (I'd just buy a PS1 for that). I'm just kinda switching ships. If a game is release for both PS3 and 360, I'll get the one for the PS3 because I think it may end up being less of a hassle (less glitches). I'm trying to find PS3 owners and see if they can convince me. Even though I'm defending the PS3, I'm still skeptical.

12. tharoux

tharoux Level IV

The fact that you're still searching for PS3 owner to tell you about the console sums up what was said in this thread.
    I was a playstation fanboy but I had to face the facts... The 360 is better. I had the very first gen of 360 and it broke...
    (computers-and-technology-f9/xbox-360-t2643.html) but it was enough to ditch the PS and buy a new xbox.

I love racing games and FPS and I finally found what I was looking for. Streaming all my images/music/videos was done in less than a minutes, the games download section is awesome, xbox live if working uberly well and IMO, graphics are better than the PS3. Ok, You'll tell me that every PS3 games only use 1/10 of what the console can do, but they're struggling to create a game that will use all the potential. To hard, too much problems... Finally, the blu-ray player was not a plus for me since I hardly watch 1 dvd a year (torrent FTW)

As for the gameplay, the wireless 360 gamepad is far more comfortable and precise than the PS3 gamepad.

Regarding the wireless adapter from the 360, I just want to add that you can use a simple router to bypass this.
    Search for DD-WRT or Tomato Firmware on google. I bought a wireless router for 30$ and it's doing a great job.

13. Animefann

Animefann Level I

I say PS3 I've owned it since launch and love it plus it also saves you money in the long run since you don't have to buy a BD player if you have a HD tv. You can also download movies, music and photos onto the system. You also save money since the online service is free, the one downside is that sony doesn't get as many exclusive titles as xbox since they don't throw out large sums of money to developers. YOu also won't have to worry about it dieing a couple months after you buy it. Just my 2c though I own both but mainly play ps3 since I won't pay for online service, mine has never died but I don't play it often.

14. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly on that one. It fits the hand so... perfectly. :)

But now what am I going to get for christmas? :(

15. tharoux

tharoux Level IV

A PS One emulator for PC to play your FF game and a 360 with Halo3 ODST.
    Next step, add everyone from here and let's do a giant NF tournament.

Seriously, the only downside I can find to the xbox360 (keeping in mind I really don't need a BR) is that we don't have a internet browser. Once they add this feature, my pc will become a pure server. Ok, I'll need my pc to program too but meh, MS visual studio for 360 sounds nice.

16. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

Eh, I have Wii for a browser... once WiFi is fix'd :(

And I think I'll actually just buy a PS1. I already have controllers and my old games, so I might as well. Plus I can't stand sitting in this uncomfortable computer chair rather than my oh-so-comfy couch in my room. And no. I'm not getting ODST. I've played it at a friend's house and I wasn't very fond of it. :/

I just remembered something. I used to be a sony fanboy too. I has a PS2 and I refused to buy an XBox. They were weird and new. Now I've owned a 360 since... it release. o-o

17. Tycho

Tycho Level II

PS3 is going to start charging for their online service, too.

Which I'm happy for. Maybe it won't suck now. :D

18. tharoux

tharoux Level IV

It better be good... When you pay for a service, it's ok to have high expectation.
    The thing is that PS will NEVER have a community as huge as XBOX.

19. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

Agree especially w/ FPS's with the PS3 I keep on finding my thumbs hittin each other. Offset joysticks ftw.

20. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

And the triggers on concave which is tha bomb compared to Sony's convex.