Welfare system

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Freja, Apr 12, 2010.

1. larryisamazing

larryisamazing Level II

Sure, the more localized, the better. That's also the best way to get more people involved, and it's the best way for everyone involved to understand which people really need help and to what extent they truely need help.

2. Captain

Captain Level I

The welfare system is just another way for dead-beats to leach off our hard earned money and legally steal from our pockets.

3. samale

samale Level I

From where I come from, these welfare system have its limits, yes they do provide welfare to people but to those only that are really in need of those money! We do pay taxes here, and yet we do not get free welfare services but subsidised services if we were not able to pay as much as the original price! Thats basically how it works over here, I do not think it's good and there's definitely rooms for improvement!

4. Dora

Dora Level I

I agree we can ship away the homeless to tere own island. Homoisland

5. TtotheJay

TtotheJay Level II

It's a sticky situation with welfare. Imagine what would happen if we did do away with it.. the people who need it would suffer, and those who abuse it would rebel. I would go as far to say that there would be a massive split in the nation.. maybe another civil war.. the rich vs. the poor. Although, it wouldn't be much a war o_O

Point is.. it's going to suck either way, unless we choose to accept it, and live our lives with the system being apart of it. Honestly, much worse could happen.

6. Dr_Horrified

Dr_Horrified Newbie

I live in America and Ebt ( Food stamps ) have really saved my family more then I can count, without them we would have to spend the little money we get would have to go towards food, and then we wouldn't be able to have a cold fridge to put the food in lol, or we wouldn't have a fridge on the street.

Medicaid also has gotten us a far way. Whenever you get sick and need a prescription for pain that would cost $130 it's very helpful when you only have to pay $3 instead, really helps.

If the government did away with Social Services such as Medicaid, Medicare, EBT it would be a national pandemic.
    For example, nurses who don't get paid well would be forced to steal pills just to sell them on the street to druggies,
    Druggies would be stealing/killing for money.

Basically, Crime rate would definitely jump a lot, and that wouldn't be good for the citizens.

7. tristen1230

tristen1230 Level II

Well here the keep poping out babies to get more Welfare and they don't work a day in there lives and I who work got to pay for them. They have like 5 kids and they have had like 5 husbands and 4 or all have been divorced for the money. They all live in town row houses. (Bad Ones) If you on Welfare where I live that is what basically happens. They get off there butts and actually work. Most mother don't even care. Saw a young mother give her 3 year old sun a hard jaw breaker and was smoking. Was very young. It just disgusts to see that and I got to pay for it.

8. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

People's views are determined by where they're standing, with any subject. Such is life. Anyone who has ever been out of work for an extended period of time and really down on their luck will back Social Services programs. Most people who have never been in such a position will look down their noses at it. I've been on both sides of this. Perspective is everything.

powerof0 likes this.
  9. dawgi100

dawgi100 Level I

It is morally reprehensible to tell someone to pull themselves up by the bootstraps... when they don't have any boots. Welfare is a necessity.

10. quandoquando

quandoquando Newbie

What's more disgusting to me than any form of laziness (c'mon, taking the easy way out is HUMAN) is the complacency that comes with long-term abuse. People begin to feel entitled to their welfare check. It becomes the norm. People born into poverty generally stay in poverty. Believe it or not, society benefits from from the lower class. They are exploited and used as a scapegoat in all kinds of situations (economic, moral, political...). Giving them the bare minimum to survive keeps them content, when instead they should be getting angry.

There isn't one person to blame. You can't just say "the government" is at fault. But the combination of free assistance and lack of education/perspective gets a person nowhere, and this should be obvious to anyone. The welfare system isn't the only thing that needs to change. There is no excuse for poverty in a first-world nation.

11. nonchalantic

nonchalantic Newbie

I think, at the end of the day, they just need more stringent rules for welfare, who's receiving it, etc. :|

12. larryisamazing

larryisamazing Level II

As Reagan said, Government IS the problem. And he mainly was referring to the Federal Government. State and local governments would do a much better job of administering welfare for no other reason than the fact they can't print money. There are plenty of other reasons, but that is a big one.

13. Lease

Lease Level II

In the Netherlands there is also a good system. Everyone have to pay taxes, the best earners have to pay like 53% tax. Also we have really high taxes on cars. How more expensive the car is how more tax you'll have to pay over it.
    I prefer lower taxes and less Welfare system. Now it's like the hard workers have to pay for the poor ones.

14. briannatardiff

briannatardiff Level I

The welfare system started out great & was a crutch to someone or a family who NEEDED it ! Some people go through tough times , that granted ; BUT YOU NEED TO TRY TO HELP YOURSELF FIRST! I have no problem helping someone if they need it. But i am 19 & have been working since i was 14 ! The problem is the people who go on welfare basically AS A CAREER! There should be a time limit, drug tests & periodic check ups to make sure you are trying to change your circumstances & trying to help yourself/ better yourself. I STRONGLY believe if you put your mind to it , you can do it.! But thats about all i can say on that , its a touchy subject for many . ALSO i am not saying everyone on welfare abuses it .