What are the ways to scam someones Neopets Account?

Discussion in 'Neofriends Help and Suggestions' started by Soleil56, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Soleil56

Soleil56 Level I

FOR KNOWLEDGE ONLY. Just trying to figure out what might have happened to my friends account. :(

My friend plays legit neopets and she recently got her account frozen by neopets because the person that was on her account was sending out "offsite scammer links".

Obviously to me she didn't do it. I know a cheater community isn't a SCAMMER community. But I know here people aren't naive and probably understand scammer situations better. I got her to tell me EXACTLY what happened and here is what she typed me out on msn:

Quote from my friend(Hayley):
    I'm totally clueless as what would have happened. I trust her about not clicking that scam website because she wouldn't risk the kind of account she had (nearly 300 avies, 89 months, a royal krawk, a pea chia she told me she had 30 million on the account at the time)

Anyone have any clues? I was thinking CGer.. which is obvious Im just wondering if there are other ways of getting a neopets account.
    Thanks for your time! :D

2. SoC

SoC Moderator
    Staff Member

Many reasons
    1. She wasn't scammed and TNT just suspected she was, maybe due the fact she signed on Vista/MAC over 2 different PC's or some reason?
    2. She maybe visited a cookie grabber that stole her information
    3. She maybe entered her details into a fake log-in page that stole her information.

1 sounds the most accurate compared to the usual working of TNT

3. Soleil56

Soleil56 Level I

I understand what your saying.

Im sorry that I suck at explaining things what I tried to say was that People where getting neomails from her account advertising a scam website. I got a couple of neomails from her account giving me a link to a free neopets giveaway.

But CGers are very tricky and I'm thinking along those lines. :(

I really wished she was premium like me because she could have contacted the BBB.

I told her to still contact BBB just in case because it doesn't hurt

THANKS FOR THE HELP <3

4. interhacker

interhacker Level IV

Remember cgers cant change your password as most only use your cookie trail;..

5. Soleil56

Soleil56 Level I

So what do you think it is? o_O

6. interhacker

interhacker Level IV

Did you make a board on neopets just before it all started?

7. Soleil56

Soleil56 Level I

Yes I made a board.

I saw the pattern. Most people who made a board during that time got a neomail from my friend with the link.

8. interhacker

interhacker Level IV

right i my be able to shed some light.

I have many friends that are mass spamming board makers with Caging neomails, then as soon as someone click on the neomail link, they rob them , then use that account to mass neomail on again.

So i would say 99% that you were cookie grabbed and am pretty sure if you send a report to neopets you would get your account back but with no nps on :(

9. Soleil56

Soleil56 Level I

Aww well Im pretty sure Hayley will just be happy to get the account back anyways. It was a freaking mazing one. :) She neomailed them all the information needed.

We're just waiting for a reply now.

Thanks for the info :)

10. interhacker

interhacker Level IV

If you need any help with this issue please pm me, im some what of a pro on issues like these

11. into_the_night

into_the_night Level I

Its all about the approach. Dont let them know that you are a scammer and always keep your eye open for a rebound report. You want to be nice as possible to them but not too nice or you end up being thought of as fishy..

12. Soleil56

Soleil56 Level I

If you actually read what I posted you'd know that I personally wasn't trying to find ways how to SCAM someone.

I was wondering what kind of scams are out there because my friend just lost her account. mka?

13. krilas

krilas Level II

If as you said your friend wouldn't anyhow type her username and password into an off-site form, etc, then CG and keyloggers should be the two most common ones. Otherwise maybe her email was exploited, that could be a possibility too.

14. cc61

cc61 Level I

I heard a lot of rumors about TNT suspending members for no apparent reason... maybe that was simply it. If so, that is really stupid of them because it makes people not want to play anymore