What is Emo?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by looneytoon, Feb 26, 2007.

?

What Is EMO?

1. Someone Is Always Sad An Depressed/Emotional

18 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Type of Music

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Wardrobe consisting of black hair, usually with a few odd colors dyed in here and there

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. looneytoon

looneytoon Level III

I keep seeing people saying emo, what is emo, and what is ETS?

2. Glamorous

Glamorous Level III

What? Does emo mean something different then it means when in context of music genres?

3. desiqt786

desiqt786 Level II

4. xiatus

xiatus Level III

I always though emo is short for emotional :) like too much drama.

5. zer0ordi3yo

zer0ordi3yo Level IV

Noo.

Emo is a type of music, that's sort of calm and the music is usually about sad things, ect.

Emo has evolved into what "scene" means, now.

Basically it's those kids at the mall when you can't tell if they're a guy or a girl.

6. Captain Keyes

Captain Keyes Level II

What? No no. I don't know what kind of kids can't tell if they're a guy or girl, but emo is someone who's always depressed, stereotypicaly wears black and gothic-type accessories.

Usually people say that emo people like to slit their wrists. Emo music is always very sad and depressing, and it's usually listened to people who are feeling particularly miserable. I don't listen to emo as a rule, but if I get really sad or disappointed, it actually makes you feel a bit better, believe it or not.

And all of what I said is a stereotype. Not every emo kid wants to slit their wrist or wears nothing but black. It's more about the emotion behind it.

7. xiatus

xiatus Level III

Yea gotta be something like that...beside who would keep using emo in chat...nobody talk about music anyway :p

8. zer0ordi3yo

zer0ordi3yo Level IV

No, people just assume that they're like that. Very few are depressed... The kids everyone calls emo are the most cheerful and happy kids in the world, I know plenty...I'm even called emo frequently.

The emo wardrobe consists of black hair, usually with a few odd colors dyed in here and there. The clothes would be something vintage, stripes, a cheesy heart pattern, or something else tacky are a must. Extremely tight girl pants. Black eyeliner, straightened hair. For the guys, a band shirt or a pokémon, ninja turtles, or something else generic. BANDANAS are a must, too! Maybe a nice sXe shirt, or a Coca Cola shirt.

Basically, they both wear makeup, the same size of pants, and have the same haircut, so you really can't tell with most.

Emo and goth are not even compairable. Emo kids do NOT wear all black, they wear bright, tacky things.

9. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

This one is correct ;)

10. zer0ordi3yo

zer0ordi3yo Level IV

Nooo, it's not. Emo is nothing but a genre of music, it would be like me calling somebody who likes money and girls "rap".

Emo is nothing but a genre of music.

The people who listen to it dress a certain way, but it is NOT what keyes suggested.

Sure, some people who listen to emo are depressed, but a VERY SMALL portion. They just think it sounds good, which shows they have bad taste, which shows in their appearance.

11. Konvict

Konvict Level IV

Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle.

::sniff sniff:: "The Demise of the Siberian Traintracks of Our Rusty Forgotten Unblemished Love" sounds like it would make a great emo band name. ::cry::

Thats the actual meaning of the word EMO :D

12. Captain Keyes

Captain Keyes Level II

Maybe it's a geographical thing, but when someone speaks of someone/something being emo, it's almost always in reference to the person, not the music. Saying it is nothing more than a genre would be very incorrect to anyone who lives around here (NY).

Arguments can be made concerning the exact definition of what an emo person consists of, but I won't stress enough that, at least everywhere I've gone, people can be/act emo as well.

The genre may have come first, but it's spawned a sub-culture of its own which can't simply be ignored.

13. itsraining

itsraining Level II

I think EMo is a genre of music,not really sure though,^_^

ETS is easy to sell, same goes with HTS (hard to sell)

14. Summertime_Blues

Summertime_Blues Level III

Emo is both a genre of music:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a term for people who dress inside the "emo scene" They wear a lot of shirts for old cartoons (i.e. spiderman, ninja turtles, hello kitty) or any type of pattern (hearts, stars, skulls, polka dots (especially)). Tight black pants, converse, and usually some kind of tote bag with skulls or something on it. Theyseem to have an affinity for eyeliner, eyeshadow, tight clothes, and lip piercings so most emos look like this:

[​IMG]

They all cover themselves in black and since their face is usually half covered it's hard to tell which gender they are.

Male or Female?
    [​IMG]

Since emo's have no imagination. They can normally be found with the same haircut like so:

[​IMG]

You can also see them in really odd leggings and they rarely ever wear shoes that arent converse.

You can find emos in these four places:

At your local middle/high school:

[​IMG]

Hot Topic
    [​IMG]

myspace (with their odd angles, photoshopping and lethargic poetry, oh god. )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or just curled up in a ball in random nature

[​IMG]

So that's my in depth guide on all things emo. I hope you enjoyed it.

BTW ETS is Easy To Sell. Items that can sell usually within days of putting them up on the Trading Post.

15. zer0ordi3yo

zer0ordi3yo Level IV

Summertime Blues, we totally agree on this.

16. Smelly

Smelly Level IV

lol, just stole this from urbandic

Emo: Much like a Goth, only less dark and more like Harry Potter

which i thought was funny :D

and another

Emo: Hates themselves

Goth: Hates everyone

Emo: Wants to kill themselves

Goth: Wants to kill everyone

:lol:

sorry if your a Goth or Emo. its for amusement purposes only!

17. alex123kill

alex123kill Level II

Yea, just search it up on Google or Wikipedia. It is really meaningless to ask beacause the definition can be easily found...

18. slickmik

slickmik Level II

Well for our school emo is: life-hating, cuts themself, wears all black, suually converse shoes, black hair swept across one side... you get the point

19. Summertime_Blues

Summertime_Blues Level III

Yeah I could've gone way more in depth but I only had 15 minutes.

20. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

I don't agree at the point "wears all black" :p Most of them wear pink, green and other glowing colours @.@
    However... yes, I think emo it's only a trend... they cut themselves withous knowing what real depression is :roll: and want to be different but their clothes and their haircut are the same!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.