When is the right time to really let someone go?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gaspanior, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaspanior

gaspanior Level I

I've been friends with someone for 11 years now. We've done everything together it seems. Now he's in a relationship, as am I, and we're growing apart. This is common in life and I knew it would happen one day but should I try to keep our friendship going? Nothing seems awkward when we're actually able to hang out, it's just there seems to be very little time for each other now. So in your opinions, when is it the right time to let someone go? And how would you approach the situation?

2. bladeoftalwar

bladeoftalwar Level IV

just because theyre not your closest friend doesn't mean you have to let things go. if nothing bad happens between you and you're just slowly drifting apart, that's perfectly normal. no reason to "let it go"

3. crashxbang

crashxbang Level I

That's what always happens when you and a friend both get significant others. And when you break up with them, things will probably be exactly like they were before. Haha. It's happened to me several different times, with several different friends. Just hang out when you can.

4. Kangaroos

Kangaroos Level III

I don't know if you should necessary 'let him go.' You say that everything is fine when you two do hang out so that's great. That's the best thing about me and my best friend... although we go to different schools and go through long periods where we can't really hang out.. Whenever we're both home, it's like nothing's changed. I feel as though you should only lose your friend if something goes wrong or if there's a huge problem between the two of you

5. Crayon

Crayon Newbie

Oh, don't worry! It's better to keep existing friendships for as long as you can as opposed to constantly switching them because lack of time. Long term friend are always people you can trust, and those bonds shouldn't be as easy to break.

6. tarzan993

tarzan993 Level I

If you are still friends, you would find the time to hang out. Time can be made for eachother. But it's okay if you don't see eachother for awhile. Sometimes it's even healthy, as it gives a fresh perspective. I don't exactly understand what you mean with "letting go", as you are still friend atm.

7. Grimwolf08

Grimwolf08 Level I

No "letting go" required. Just stay the course. If the two of you drift apart, then it was meant to happen eventually. If not, then you're friends for life who will probably borrow denture cream from eachother way down the road.

8. rienei

rienei Level I

its almost impossible for a guy and girl to have BFF status 4ever. The guy will hav a gf and the gf would get jealous if you get too friendly and he will start to drift further from you. If he still remains BFF with you, it means either that the gf is open minded or shes not the one for him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.