Which came first: Chicken or Egg?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Will, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Will

Will Level IV

This is not a debate whether a chicken was on the Earth before an egg.
    This is a debate of whether a creature that hatched from an egg was on the Earth before the egg. Any creature that supposedly is born in an egg. Or any creature that lays an egg. 'Chicken' will be the umbrella term for all of these creatures.

I'll say chicken, solely because the creature could have evolved over time into something that lays an egg to repopulate.

2. Arkley

Arkley Level III

The "egg" came first, in my opinion. I'll use a very simple way of describing this.
    If we take a very linear look at the chain of evolution, we can see:

Suppose "1" is an ancestor of the modern chicken, and "9" is a modern chicken.
    "1" lays an egg, and from it hatches "2". "2" is somewhat closer to a modern chicken, but still a different ancestor. "2" lays an egg which hatches into "3".

As the process of natural selection and adaption continues, eventually, "8" will lay an egg. This is the egg from which hatched "9", the modern chicken.

Taking a very basic view of evolution, the egg came first.

However, if we are to believe the Bible's texts, then God created the chicken first and it laid eggs.

3. Will

Will Level IV

So, assuming "1" was hatched from an egg: what was the creature responsible for the egg being there originally?

4. Arkley

Arkley Level III

Ah, well that's the point. If you trace evolution back far enough, you'll eventually reach a point where the ancestors of today's animals did not lay eggs. If you trace it back really far you'll come to a point where they reproduce by mitosis. I used "1" as an example of the first ancestor of a chicken to lay something recognisable as or at least comparable to a modern egg.

5. Kasana

Kasana Newbie

Well, if we're going by one of the many theories of evolution, the egg came first. Technically, we came from the sea and we all know most sea-creatures lay eggs. Cells had to go through mitosis {as mentioned by Arkley} before they became a creature so technically through mitosis, the Chicken was first. But on the slight chance that the topic of 'Chicken or Egg on earth first' comes up, a circle has no beginning nor end.

6. DeNo

DeNo Level III

Jesus H. Christ, you've turnd this into a proper discussion forum
    I was expecting an epic flop
    props to you!

btw, it was so the chicken. Something evolved eventually to lay eggs and had feathers..
    but then agian.. did that thing come from an egg..
    ARGH

7. joycey

joycey Level II

eggs existed long before chickens, there's ton of science to prove this

who said it had to be a chicken egg? ;>

8. Kasana

Kasana Newbie

Props to who?

Pfft. Mitosis = Chicken...AND Egg.

But due to Mitosis after our dismal little planet had water, led to fish, which led to eggs, which led to land mammals, which led to monkeys, which led to homosapiens. So technically, the Chicken did come first because if Mitosis wasn't possible; Chickens could not have evolved into what we see today.

All in all,

the FISH came before both the chicken and the egg!

The fish came before the chicken, though I can't imagine what chickens evolved from; must've been rather ugly.

Actually, there's not that much science to prove that the egg came before the chicken. Because if the chicken did not exist, how do you get the egg? Because an egg isn't a living organism which is what Mitosis produces.

9. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

10. Dark

Dark Level IV

for the theory of evolution it is the egg that came first ... an animal could not evolve in one life time because they could not change their DNA in a life time. The first chicken would have to be the product of 2 animals that are DNA as close as possible as a chicken and then laying an egg that the DNA is a chicken so the egg came first.

Genetic drift my friend genetic drift...

11. Will

Will Level IV

But a fish could transmogrify and come out of the water, and lay an egg. Assuming a mutation occurred in the geno/phenotype of the 'chicken' during whatever reproduction, that could result in the chicken occurring before the egg.

And I've just proven your point.. :(

12. Arkley

Arkley Level III

So then we're agreed, the *egg* came first, and if you ever want someone to accidentally prove your point, go to Will. lol

13. Dark

Dark Level IV

for the theory of evolution to be true the egg had to come first....

14. Will

Will Level IV

The theory of evolution in relation to monkeys, as mammals, wouldn't though.

But that's a completely different subject :p

15. Arkley

Arkley Level III

rofl, my bad, I wrote chicken by mistake. Corrected it now.

I guess we can also agree that if you ever want someone to completely contradict himself within three posts, Arkley's your guy!

16. Dark

Dark Level IV

yes it would be the same when your born you CANT change your dna.. so what your born as you stay as... so born monkey stay monkey... new dna gets introduced in the off spring so for a new specie to get introduced it is the offspring.. so babay egg w/e

17. nazze

nazze Level I

God created the chicken, then it laid an egg.

END OF DISCUSSION! (lol)

18. Arkley

Arkley Level III

What makes that even funnier is that there really are people out there who would respond like that lol

19. Kasana

Kasana Newbie

With the theory of evolution, FISH are the true ancestors of everything and everyone, because if you look at a 4 week old embryo {human}; it's got gills, otherwise it wouldn't survive.

And the chicken came before the egg, because as we all know, Chickens are just freakish aliens from Mars! Trust me *shifty eyes* I'm /not/ from Mars, *cough* I'm just from...some...far off planet, yeah, that's right, I am an alien muahaha.

20. Arkley

Arkley Level III

I think it's fair to assume that among the ancient ancestors of the modern chicken were dinosaurs of the raptor family.