1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Affirmative Action or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Zer0, Apr 16, 2008.

?

Should affirmative action be legal?

1. Don't care either way

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. What's affirmative action?

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. No

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  4. Yes

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Well, people argue that if you allow minority groups to have an advantage, its reverse discrimination, which is a form of discrimination. So if you're pro-AA, you are essentially discriminating against some group based on race, gender, etc.

2. JJJJ

JJJJ Newbie

It would be unfair to majority kids with higher grades, more experiance, etc. However, no matter what the gov't does some group will always cry discrimination.

3. Asphodan

Asphodan Level III

This is the year 2008, anyone can effectively do whatever they need to do.
    It's possible for their parents to move, and its possible for those parents to get decent jobs, and provide a good living environment.

Mentally capable people can have an education, and can advance through college on their own. There are non-specific programs that'd assist with that.

Any group(Charity, etc.) that targets another group (Race, etc.) just to give them benefits, is only encouraging their own laziness.

4. suzuki

suzuki Newbie

No No and a million times no. That would be just another way of prejudicte. Everyone must have equal chances and giving protection to minorities doesn't solve the problem, just hides it.

5. Heya_old

Heya_old Level IV

these days, thats how it works some what though. they claim they don't, but if you look at the satistics and whnat my family has been told, companies and schools take people based on race. if they need 20 employees, and they have 10 white males or women, with GPAs of about 3.9, then, they'd look for 10 black males or women, even if they have a GPA of 3.0 when they could have white one with 3.8. It works that way these days, sadly wnough, andit needs to stop, cause its unfair in many ways. (In no way do i mean any racisum in this post)

6. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

I think that a Supreme Court case ruled that race can be used as a plus factor. So if you have two equally qualified males (males for simplicity), and one is white and the other is black, a university can choose based on race for diversity. However, racial quotas may not be established.

7. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Level II

Yeah, you're referring to Regents of the University of California v. Bakke. But that doesn't mean the SC is right.

Personally, I fully expect AA to be overturned in the U.S. within my lifetime. I go to an incredibly liberal school, but AA is the one issue where probably 90% of my class is for the conservative viewpoint. (ie, that AA should be abolished)

The biggest stumbling point I see is that it's not an issue that politicians on either side of the aisle are going to want to touch for fear of losing minority support.

8. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

The only thing I can say is 99.99% of whites without a political agenda are going to be against affirmative action and 99.99% of minorities are going to be for it. And no matter which side of the fence you're on, you think it's the right side. But if you're white and we flipped the script and made you black or hispanic instead, you'd be on the other side. And the reverse is also true. There IS a universal truth out there - a definite right and a definite wrong - but the human conditions of greed, jealousy, and so forth keep people from almost ever seeing it 20/20.

9. Theangeltyreal

Affirmative action only affrims the separation of races in our institutions. This would begin to set back social progress, and ultimately would be a horrible step in human rights. Period.