1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beijing 2008

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Charlie, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

Uncultured person :D

The fireworks all the different countries.. I can't help but smile =]

2. Cheeto

Cheeto Level IV

Aha!
    I am uncultured XD

3. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

AHA I got you to admit it.... Why don't you try to watch the ceremony this year?

4. ukrainianpwn1

ukrainianpwn1 Level III

Ukraine and Russia ftw!!!

cuz i can speak both languages:p

5. Cheeto

Cheeto Level IV

I will watch it :p
    Probably won't like it.

6. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

lol
    I remember one time during the Sydney Olympics (I was a little kid at the time), I ran home after hearing that the Olympics were starting that night on channel 5. My parents were watching some boring show, so I was like "OMG, change the channel, I wanna watch a show! -starts changing channels-". My parents were like "wtf, stay on the current channel!" (minus the language). And then I said "But I wanna watch the Olympics on channel 5!!111!!2". Then my parents were like "... Umm... We were just on channel 5 watching the Olympics when you came bursting in and changing the channel... -.-". And I was like "ooohhh... my bad... -sulks away-"

That was before I knew about the opening ceremony :p

7. Dark_knight2008

Dark_knight2008 Level I

Have been waiting for 4 years for the Olympics.
    Yay, i am excited.
    I usually watch tennis, water sports, athletics-those are my favs.

8. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

I like to watch basketball, archery, weight-lifting (the guys are scary strong o.o), swimming, and sometimes track+field. :)

9. omgmelson

omgmelson Level I

the USA Senior Mens Basketball Team is going to dominate this year. Ginobili is injured and Dirk is past his prime.
    Melo & CP3 FTW!

10. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

James is injured as well.

11. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

12. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

13. Tofurky

Tofurky Level IV

Just checked out the group Zero.
    A lot of what it says is either exaggerated, minimized, or just false.

I support freedom in Tibet. BUT boycotting the Olympics is not a good thing.
    The Olympics are supposed to be a WORLD event. Not just China. Boycotting the event isn't protesting against China. ANDD it is completely rude to the athletes who have trained their whole lives for this.

14. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

The group was created by one of my friends :p
    I don't exactly support Tibetan independence, but I can understand their reasons for wanting to be independent. I went over to the Tibetan area of China this summer, and to be honest, there wasn't any negative tensions or anything of the sort there. Everyone lived peacefully together there, and were very friendly to tourists like us. That shows that it IS possible to live peacefully together, without staging violent riots for independence. Well, I could argue further and others would argue back, but this isn't the debate section. If anyone wants to create a topic on this in the debate section, I'll be more than happy to share more of my views.

Back on topic:
    Yeah, I agree, the Olympics are a world sporting event and politics should not interfere with the actual event. We watch the Olympics for the sports, not to support the choice of the host country. I completely support the IOCs recent repeal of the Iraq ban from the Olympics. All of the athletes have trained very hard to compete in this great event, and it would be a tremendous loss to deny them that right.

15. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Tibet independence pisses me off. It's nonsense, about Chinese government using an iron fist. Tibet isn't a conquered country under suppression. It's one of many regions of China. If China should "free" Tibet, should the US "free" Texas?

16. omgmelson

omgmelson Level I

i agree with you Phee. Think about Hawaii and how the US took over Hawaii. What we did to the local Hawaiians was dirty and cruel. I think it's ridiculous how people are screaming "Free Tibet Free Tibet" (especially U.S. citizens / Americans..)

Also, FYI, most of the common people in Tibet don't even care if they are their own country, or a part of China. How do I know this? I went there this summer and asked around.

17. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Exactly! I'm all for the Dalai Llama and whatever, but if we were to set aside our moral codes for a moment, why is it okay to lock up and imprison and torture and arrest Jeff Warren but it's not okay to go against the Dalai Llama?

Oooh, right. That thing everyone likes to turn a blind eye to. The fact that the US will stop at nothing to fill the world with democracy and US influence.

18. Heya_old

Heya_old Level IV

is it true that chias' air is really smuggy?

19. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

chias? o_O

EDIT:
    Oh, CHINA'S :p
    Its not china, its just Beijing and a few other cities. And you can't blame the low visibility solely on smog. If you look at the geography if China, you'll see deserts next to some major cities like Beijing and Xian. That's why when the winds are heavy, the visibility is awful due to the addition of sand and grit in the air.

20. sportfreak10

sportfreak10 Newbie

I am ssssooooooooooo excited for the Olympics.

I can't wait to see how many medals Michael Phelps wins this time.