1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capital Punishment (Death Penalty)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by xso0intou, Aug 21, 2011.

1. xso0intou

xso0intou Level I

Is it right to execute criminals? Should the death penalty be banned? Not many countries debate much often about this, what do you guys think? Does a person really deserve to be executed for any crime that is inhumane.

I feel as if even though a person murdered someone, yes they are twisted, but they should just be locked up for life instead of executing them. That "person" being executed, do have family members too. So is it justifiable for criminals to be executed, or should they just be left alone locked up forever?

2. cookiestace

cookiestace Level I

I do not believe in death penalty because we humans do not have the right to take away a persons lives (regardless of their crimes). Furthermore in some cases they may be wrongly accused or something and the capital punishment cannot be undone.

3. xso0intou

xso0intou Level I

I agree with that. I was just thinking about that too. Sometimes the government is so quick to get done with the case that they go ahead and kill a person who they aren't even sure did the crime. That's taking an innocent life. But also, although the person killed someone, killing them too would be known as murder. So should the person that's sentencing the criminal to die be given the death penalty too? If that was the case, everyone should just get sentenced.

4. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

From what higher authority is this right given? I'm not pro capital punishment, but I can see some merits to it.

5. tristen1230

tristen1230 Level II

Being Canadian they should not do it. I don't think they should be put in jail for life unless they have a problem in there brain. Like they cannot do much harm after the ages for 65 or 70 and them in Jail with big tough guys. I am sure it is not that easy for them to actually survive in there that old with huge guys.

6. xso0intou

xso0intou Level I

I believe people who have problems in their brains plead insanity, so that's quite out of the picture. Still, a life is still a life no matter what they did.

7. Enth End

Enth End Newbie

I love the Irony of the people that oppose the death penalty. Let's reward the family of the victim, by taxing them, and using the tax money to keep the scumbag who killed their loved one with food and shelter. I say kill the criminals, take them out back, and give them to the victim's family.

8. imperialdarknes

imperialdarknes Level III

I agree, criminals who commit murder should be left in the hands of the victim's families, not to the state.

9. dawgi100

dawgi100 Level I

The way the death penalty is used is fine. Only in instances of rape or murder. Those people deserve to die.

10. brand123

brand123 Level I

I think the death penalty should be used for serious crimes as long as there are precautions to make sure no one is falsely accused of something and wrongfully executed.

11. imperialdarknes

imperialdarknes Level III

there is always the problem with wrongful executions

12. bunnykay

bunnykay Level I

Yeah, I do not agree with capital punishment because it's very possible that you could have the wrong person. Contrary to popular belief, the death penalty COSTS MORE than life in prison.

13. whiteknife96

whiteknife96 Level I

it can change everything.. so sad..

14. briannatardiff

briannatardiff Level I

I think if prisoners are sentenced to life they should be put to death. Many people dont realize that we have to pay for all these prisoners & everything they decide to shove up their parts ( my mother works in a prison , this stuff achually happends). Prisoners hurt themselves for fun to have surgery and get drugs all the time! We pay for all of this! And it is not cheap! I think we need to clean up our prisons , most are in there for a good reason

15. asdasdas7

asdasdas7 Level I

death is not the worst of evils
    and i think death is a release not a punishment

16. brandon2495

brandon2495 Newbie

Only in the case of murder. It is a common misconception that it is far cheaper to execute criminals than it is to keep them in prison for life. On the contrary, at least with the modern American legal system (not sure if it is the same in other countries), it is actually far more costly to execute the criminals and they spend most of their lives on death row as it is. Most of the cost comes from appeals and the like.

Like I said, I stand in favor of it for murder and higher (such things as high treason), but nothing else really. That is not to say anything for the military, though, where punishment should be much harsher.

17. lld36

lld36 Level I

I think the death penalty is called for in some cases. I cant really think of any reason besides murder though that should get someone the death penalty.

18. winston_tiu

winston_tiu Newbie

You do understand that there are bad people right? Some people that we might believe better off gone. So yes Death Penalty is a must, even with some unworthy victims. It outweighs the people who deserve it.